The book thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently have two non-footy books on the go.

Inquisition and Society in Spain, Henry Kamen - revisionist account of the Spanish Inquisition looking at how the power and influence of the Inquisition has been overstated.

Ideology and Immigration, Katharine Betts - an Australian sociologist examines the the part played by Australian intellectuals in immigration debates between 1976 to 1987.

Reading 'Life and Fate' by Vasily Grossman

Has been described as the 'War and Peace' of the 20th century

Whist not that good, it contains the wrenching but beautiful last letter from a mother in a ghetto to her son
Walter, you've returned! Best thing to happen since Grandma died!! FWIW you're absolutely my second favourite poster in these parts!!!

I have just finished 'Barkskins' by Annie Proulx. A huge (700 + pages) novel about colonialism and family dynasties in North America, from the 17th century through to the present. Its also about forests and their destruction, Native Americans, industrialists, climate change, family intrigues, love, murder, and more...

The forests of New Zealand, and even Australia, get a mention too.

I loved it, a terrific read, highly recommended.

Just started reading Dangerous by Milo Yiannooulos.

Interesting reading so far.......

Fantastic book. I'm reading the sequel "Homo Deus" which contemplates where to next for homo sapiens. Really interesting although a bit scary as well.

Haha although we won't be around to see it.

Cant wait to read the sequal btw

Just finished reading Dangerous by Milo.

I was fascinated what the controversy was all about when he recently came to Australia without knowing his history.

Very clever bloke check out a YouTube and his “education” of a so-called Muslim woman here in Oz.

This “dangerous ******” (his term) taught me many things by reading his book.

I recommend our Mods have a read as the “masters of our domain” here on Bigfooty they have a responsibility to maintain free speech IMO.

He was one of the first that said Trump would win when most of the media said he wouldn’t.

Great read highly recommend not many issues and groups he doesn’t have an opinion on. The important part is he backs up his opinion with facts.

P.S The fact the word f&@$@t has been censored on this site automatically proves a lot of his arguments and Ideology’s.

Reading 'Endurance' by US astronaut Scott Kelly, about his year (in 2015) on board the International Space Station. Fascinating stuff, highly recommended. He was up there for the second longest (consecutively) of anyone in history to date, mainly to test the impacts of long term space flight on humans, and to undertake other experiments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished Steve Jones' (Sex Pistols guitarist) autobiography 'Lonely Boy'. Well worth a read.

Love Short Stories, especially when well written.
Australia has a great history of short stories.

Alan Marshall’s the three legged bitch is a masterpiece of Australian backdrop story telling.

On this point, I'm not a materialistic or acquisitive person at all. Not quite a monk, but just not a seeker of 'stuff'. Books are an exception. I like the hard copy, and I like owning my own copy. If I borrow a book and I like it, I go out and buy it afterwards, and so I've got a whole bunch of books on my shelves which have never been read.

We all have our small illnesses; this is one of mine.
As far as illnesses go
This is a pretty good one

I love big books, with lots of pages. Doorstoppers. And a good historical novel.

Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy ticks all the boxes. I know she gets a mention earlier in this thread, but these books are great rollicking reads about Henry VIII, Tudor England, politics, treachery, the church, sex (of course, with Henry involved), murder. All good stuff. And Cromwell himself was a fascinating figure, if Hilary's account is believable; and I believe it.:D

Last edited:
Read these two books in the last couple of weeks........loved Operation Playboy and I think it would make a great movie.

The Evil Life was an education that's for sure :cool:

operation-playboy-book.png 51321934.jpg

read Hotel Kerobokan and maybe one other by the same author as Operation Playboy.

This one is next for me after I read a book about George Best's Son......

51+LzLWxZgL.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back