Analysis The Bottom Six

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
When it comes to winning finals, especially flags, it's always, ALWAYS, the bottom six that counts. Having had a decent look this year at those players that are in and out of the side we're reaching a point where we can make some sort of analysis on them. Dermott calls them "jobbers" but Dermott's a flog.

Players that select themselves (ie....NOT bottom six assuming injury free)

Smith Grundy (blank)
Rampe Richards (blank)
Jetta Kennedy McVeigh
Goodes Franklin Rohan*
(blank) Tippett (blank)
Pyke* Hannebery Parker

Reid K Jack Lloyd (blank)

The bottom six candidates......

Shaw
Jones
Towers
Heeney
Robinson
B Jack
Bird
Mitchell
Laidler
McGlynn

Starting with the backline. I think that spot is now Jones' to lose. He might be a bit suspect in terms of discipline but he won't die wondering in a finals situation.

At half back, I've got Laidler. In reality, his performance this year pretty much has him automatically selected. He clearly listens to his coaches as I haven't seen his opponent get goalside of him this year like in the past. And his effort is unquestioned.

In the two pockets I have Heeney then a fight between McGlynn and B Jack. I don't get to watch Ressies games but Jack's last couple of weeks tell a statistical story of a bloke who is knuckling down in July. The spot is McGlynn's if fit but if B Jack brings it in the next couple of weeks (assuming he's selected) McGlynn might find it tough to win back.

The final bench spot currently sits with Mitchell. Another who seems determined to overcome his natural tendencies in favour of doing what is asked of him. His last couple of weeks have been very good in negating roles.

If one of the inside mids goes down, then it's Bird.
If one of the utilities goes down, then it's Robinson.
If a small defender goes down, it's Shaw.
If Pyke or Tippett goes down, then it's Nankervis.

Towers must have something, but I've never seen it. We really need Rohan to be fit.
Cunningham simply isn't impacting the contest.

Why the hell is Isaac 'Future Quadruple Brownlow Medallist' in the Bottom 6? I'm fairly certain he'll be in our Top 6 the minute he comes back.

Shaw- ultimately you pick shaw or jones if everyone is fully fit, eg Rohan back etc id take jones
Jones- he needs to cement the spot off shaw
Towers- he can only play if Rohan and Goodes are not in IMO, and i have concerns he will make it, i think he has some ability unlike most though
Heeney- kid doesnt belong on this list in all honesty- if fit he is automatic
Robinson- dont mind what this kid brings- he can tackle unlike towers for a start id take home ahead of b jack or towers
B Jack- ive seen enough in past years- but reserves form indicates deserves a go but if its not soon then he clearly is not a consideration for the coaches
Bird- break glass in case of emergency
Mitchell- kid is one of our best mids- he is not on this list
Laidler- his only problem is he is not tall enough to be a key defender and not quick enough to play small, but he gives 100% and does his role
McGlynn- we need his energy

if i have to pick 6 of those i go jones robinson mitchell laidler mcglynn and heeney

• Banned
Why the hell is Isaac 'Future Quadruple Brownlow Medallist' in the Bottom 6? I'm fairly certain he'll be in our Top 6 the minute he comes back.

Only because he's only played half a dozen games and is currently in the Ressies.

In Longmire's (or maybe it was Harley??) words he hasn't yet earned his Gold Pass.

I agree with you in principle.

A fully fit McGlynn is nowhere near our bottom 6. Closer to top 6. Question is whether we'll see a fully fit McGlynn again.

A fully fit McGlynn is nowhere near our bottom 6. Closer to top 6. Question is whether we'll see a fully fit McGlynn again.

I guess its not that he is the worst 6 in the side, just given current form and fitness in selection order he sits there, jumps up quick if fit as you say.

Some bottom 6 players avoid the list because of the alternatives

Pyke is easily one of our worst players IMO, just not everyone can ruck.

• Banned

As it stands McGlynn will come back through the Reserves. If, say, a Brandon Jack and or Isaac Heeney is laying 6 tackles and kicking 3 goals, McGlynn won't be an automatic selection.

• Banned
I guess its not that he is the worst 6 in the side, just given current form and fitness in selection order he sits there, jumps up quick if fit as you say.

Some bottom 6 players avoid the list because of the alternatives

Pyke is easily one of our worst players IMO, just not everyone can ruck.

Exactly, as it stands, I could only really come up with 5 spots. I couldn't do it to Goodes or Lloyd.

Exactly, as it stands, I could only really come up with 5 spots. I couldn't do it to Goodes or Lloyd.

Lloyd is one of the best kicks in the side, id drop one of the ball hacks first

Shaw - Gone
Jones - Good enough, like his attack on the footy. Eradicate the brainfarts and we have a player on our hands. For some reason - this may be wrong, but I remember Jones standing up in finals. I have completely recycled 2014 from my mind but he has shown enough for me this year to suggest he is daring enough to take the game on. Don't think he'll be over-awed in finals. Will perform.
Towers - Get rid of this guy ASAP.
Heeney - Knight this man. No, wait, I mean immortalise this god.
Robinson - Shown enough, not convincing in a full game last night though. Would not want him in finals at this stage.
B Jack - Needs more opportunities, has done all he can in reserves, let him be the yoyo and * Towers off.
Bird - Depth player, would be a good sub come finals but has hardly even been mentioned as an EMG. No idea where he's at.
Mitchell - Gun, just needs more polish which will come with experience. Has proven he can stand up in finals - not worried about him at all.
Laidler - Bevan II but with more skill, love the guy.
McGlynn - Tough af.

Luke Parker needs more polish than Tom Mitchell

I would argue that Mitchell is more of a lock ahead of Lloyd but alas Luke was not in that list of 'Bottom 6' so I didn't have to critique that beautiful, beautiful face of his.

I would argue that Mitchell is more of a lock ahead of Lloyd but alas Luke was not in that list of 'Bottom 6' so I didn't have to critique that beautiful, beautiful face of his.

Lloyd is easily forgotten at times, just does his job without fuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we seem to have agreement on.......

Heeney, Mitchell, McGlynn, Laidler, and Jones.

The alternative next 5 might be........

Towers, Bird, B Jack, Robinson, and Shaw.

I'm not sure we can handle more than one or two injuries and be competitive with the top couple. We might be ok if it's an inside mid, but if we're playing a Cunningham, Towers, or even a Robinson (who I rate but not in the heat of a final yet) we look pretty vulnerable.

Great thread, and the problem is the 2012 bottom 6 took a massive s**t over the current bottom 6.

Probably Parker, Morton, Reid, Jetta, Mattner, Johnson?

To prove my point, people will probably get upset about the names I have included - because there were no weak links.

Great thread, and the problem is the 2012 bottom 6 took a massive s**t over the current bottom 6.

Probably Parker, Morton, Reid, Jetta, Mattner, Johnson?

To prove my point, people will probably get upset about the names I have included - because there were no weak links.

Jetta bottom 6 in 2012? he's closer to bottom 6 now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back