Expansion The bottom two teams are the Queensland clubs.

Can Queensland support two AFL teams?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • Yes, but it has just been dealt with poorly

Votes: 85 38.8%
  • No way, take away one of the teams

Votes: 106 48.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane have got a bright future, reckon they will be in the finals window between 2019-20 and I can see them getting 3-4 more wins next year. They could be one of the big improvers in 2018. Gold Coast I'm less optimistic on but I think they can improve next year and they really need to improve their structure on-field. I'm confident on Brisbane's prospects in the next 5 years, Gold Coast less so but under the right coach, they can turn it around and the future could look pretty bright for them.

Unfortunately, we get quite a few Suns games on TV in Brisbane and they don't seem to care in many of the games. Next year is a big year for the Suns with another exodus of talent potentially dooming Gold Coast to many years outside the eight. I know this from bitter experience with the Lions.

If the Lions and Suns were playing like the Swans and Giants the Gabba and Metricon would be packed out every week. No doubt.
I don't doubt it for a second.

You mean like how the SCG and Spotless are packed out every week?

SCG has a capacity of 46,000. Swans average crowd 33,000. Spotless has a capacity of 24,000. GWS average crowd 13,000.

Gold Coast Titans get 14,000 in a stadium that holds 27,000.
Brisbane Broncos get 32k in a stadium that holds 52,000. Queensland Reds get 10-15,000 in the same stadium. Brisbane Roar likewise.
Brisbane Bullets get 2/5 of FA and just came back from the dead. Gold Coast United got the same and went under. Ditto Rollers, Blaze, Chargers...

Give them the handouts the NSW teams got and continue to get and they would both be flying.

The QLD teams absolute lack of support as opposed to nsw teams is one of the AFL weakest points and a disgrace IMO.

I had the opportunity to travel to Brisbane for some coaching sessions and the Lions old setup was VFL level at best. The Giants were gifted world class facilities while the lions trained in school ovals and a gym that had no cooling and flooded.

Gold Coast have no fans and no soul. Could not fathom how s**t it would be playing for them when vic clubs might want to snatch you up.

And gws have fans and soul?

Gold Coast youth football has exploded.

Western Sydney football is ok at best and numbers are only improving because they were so low to start with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Lions and Suns were playing like the Swans and Giants the Gabba and Metricon would be packed out every week. No doubt.
Suns could win the next 10 flags in a row and still not fill the ground. The people there don't give a stuff about it. The only reason they get crowds now is by opposition supporters going up there for a holiday

The investment in GC/GWS needs to be viewed relative to the TV rights windfall from having 9 games per round and a game each week in NSW/Qld.

2007-2011 was $150m a year, 2012-2016 $250m, 2017-2022 $418m a year. Hard to gauge the effect of the NSW/Qld presence.

Alright, had a few pints so I apologise if my point is not well made. Firstly, how does our geographic location determine how we perform on field? If this team was anywhere else in Australia, it would still be second bottom.

Secondly, we average more people through the turnstiles than GWS even with them dominating on field and us sucking horribly. That is probably helped by opposition support coming to the GC, but it is still money in the pocket and eyes on the game, when we were half decent we were pulling 17 - 20k through the turnstiles.

Thirdly, what do you do about the 11000 members and other locals that you alienate. Purely selfishly, I've never been a Brisbane fan and in my social circle none of us have been, and if GC were dissolved I would probably become that neutral fan that wants a good game to watch on telly, but wouldn't bother supporting a team anymore. It is year 7 into a 20 year plan, in another 10 years if this is still happening, then the talk of getting rid of us is a bit more viable.

Surely this shows that the state cannot hold two AFL teams. And sure enough to they will both pick up young Vic players who want to go home just as they are hitting their peak.
Gold Coast in particular has some culture issues which has held the club back for many years.
I believe the AFL should merge the Suns into the Lions and then give the 18th team license to either WA or even Tassie.
I'm glad you're not running the game. Going on that logic, West Coast and Fremantle should have been merged after the 2001 season when Freo finished last and the Eagles finished third last. Fremantle had been in the league for seven years at that point (the same amount of years as the Suns in 2017) and West Coast had their successful period a decade before then, similar to the Lions now. So obviously it wasn't working and Fremantle should have shut up shop, right? Wrong.

Gold Coast made a fair few mistakes in their first few years in the league, just like Fremantle, but that doesn't mean they should be shut down. It's the sixth largest market in Australia and that alone should be enough reason to keep a team there. There has only been one merger in VFL/AFL history so the chances of us seeing that again are very unlikely.

IMO Australia should just get rid of QLD. It is a failed state, and they unleashed Pauline onto us.

I'm sick of their s**t.

egJnTbA.gif

IMO Australia should just get rid of QLD. It is a failed state, and they unleashed Pauline onto us.

I'm sick of their s**t.
Don't forget Bob Katter and Malcolm Roberts

II mean W.A. punch above their own weight but jeez...

South East Queensland Urban area has 3.5 million people. It contains Australia's 3rd and 6th largest cities by population.

The Lions, Suns and AFL aint going anywhere.

If we went by the OPs form. Swans, Bears, Power, Dockers would have all been scrapped years ago.
I agree the Lions and Suns aren't going anywhere - they are staying at the bottom of the ladder. Same place both the NWS teams would be if it wasn't for AFL assistance i.e. draft picks and a great salary cap allowance.

For god's sakes relocate the Suns to Tassie. They would get a membership of 50,00 - literally everyone loves footy down there.

Barely anyone in Queensland or New South Wales likes Aussie rules.

I'm glad you're not running the game. Going on that logic, West Coast and Fremantle should have been merged after the 2001 season when Freo finished last and the Eagles finished third last. Fremantle had been in the league for seven years at that point (the same amount of years as the Suns in 2017) and West Coast had their successful period a decade before then, similar to the Lions now. So obviously it wasn't working and Fremantle should have shut up shop, right? Wrong.

Gold Coast made a fair few mistakes in their first few years in the league, just like Fremantle, but that doesn't mean they should be shut down. It's the sixth largest market in Australia and that alone should be enough reason to keep a team there. There has only been one merger in VFL/AFL history so the chances of us seeing that again are very unlikely.
West Coast and Freo are successful clubs both on and off the field.

The QLD clubs aren't successful on or off the field.

Get it?

The experiments that the AFL estimates will take 20 years at best and more probably 30-40 years to pay off should be wound up after less than 8?

Ok. Glad the AFL isn't as short-sighted as you are.
Where does it say 30 - 40 years? or 20 for that matter?

Experiments don't usually take that long mate.

Alright, had a few pints so I apologise if my point is not well made. Firstly, how does our geographic location determine how we perform on field? If this team was anywhere else in Australia, it would still be second bottom.

Secondly, we average more people through the turnstiles than GWS even with them dominating on field and us sucking horribly. That is probably helped by opposition support coming to the GC, but it is still money in the pocket and eyes on the game, when we were half decent we were pulling 17 - 20k through the turnstiles.

Thirdly, what do you do about the 11000 members and other locals that you alienate. Purely selfishly, I've never been a Brisbane fan and in my social circle none of us have been, and if GC were dissolved I would probably become that neutral fan that wants a good game to watch on telly, but wouldn't bother supporting a team anymore. It is year 7 into a 20 year plan, in another 10 years if this is still happening, then the talk of getting rid of us is a bit more viable.
If it's still happening in 10 years the AFL will have wasted billions of dollars. Time to cut their losses. Sorry

Back