Expansion The bottom two teams are the Queensland clubs.

Can Queensland support two AFL teams?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • Yes, but it has just been dealt with poorly

Votes: 85 38.8%
  • No way, take away one of the teams

Votes: 106 48.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast and Freo are successful clubs both on and off the field.

The QLD clubs aren't successful on or off the field.

Get it?

Geez people have short memories.

Brisbane Brisbane Brisbane... they're the ones I truly fear will rise again as a behemoth of the competition one day.

They haven't had recent success, but people easily forget that the Lions were once a feared and mighty club of this competition.

Between 1997 (their first year in the comp after the merger) and 2004, the Brisbane Lions did the following:

- Played in 7 of 8 finals series between those years 1997 and 2004.
- Made a minimum level of Semi Finals or better for 6 straight seasons between 1999 and 2004.
- Played in a total of 19 finals matches in that time, for a finals record of 14 wins and 5 losses.
- Played in 4 straight Grand Finals between 2001 and 2004.
- Won 3 straight premierships between 2001 and 2003.

These bastards were as dominant (and arrogant) as the mighty Hawks era we've just experienced, and anybody who says that's because of the merger... well in the 2 seasons prior to the merger, they played off in finals too, and made a Preliminary Final in 1996, their final year as the Bears.

So if you extend it back, the Bears/Lions actually played finals 9 out of 10 years between 1995 and 2004. The Bears were already on the cusp of some success organically, the merger into the Lions just supercharged them.

The Lions have been down for a long time now, but don't pity them too much... when they do finally rise again (and they will, because they're building a very talented list), we'll pine for the days of Bad News Brisbane and Crazy Vossy/Loopy Leppa!

Geez people have short memories.

Brisbane Brisbane Brisbane... they're the ones I truly fear will rise again as a behemoth of the competition one day.

They haven't had recent success, but people easily forget that the Lions were once a feared and mighty club of this competition.

Between 1997 (their first year in the comp after the merger) and 2004, the Brisbane Lions did the following:

- Played in 7 of 8 finals series between those years 1997 and 2004.
- Made a minimum level of Semi Finals or better for 6 straight seasons between 1999 and 2004.
- Played in a total of 19 finals matches in that time, for a finals record of 14 wins and 5 losses.
- Played in 4 straight Grand Finals between 2001 and 2004.
- Won 3 straight premierships between 2001 and 2003.

These bastards were as dominant (and arrogant) as the mighty Hawks era we've just experienced, and anybody who says that's because of the merger... well in the 2 seasons prior to the merger, they played off in finals too, and made a Preliminary Final in 1996, their final year as the Bears.

So if you extend it back, the Bears/Lions actually played finals 9 out of 10 years between 1995 and 2004. The Bears were already on the cusp of some success organically, the merger into the Lions just supercharged them.

The Lions have been down for a long time now, but don't pity them too much... when they do finally rise again (and they will, because they're building a very talented list), we'll pine for the days of Bad News Brisbane and Crazy Vossy/Loopy Leppa!
Sydney are awesome too - it's because they are allowed to pay their players more.

Brisbane were allowed to do the same thing remember?

Since then they have had no on field or off field success. At least Richmond and Essendon have had off field success, the on field part looks to be coming back now too.

There's always a poster that absolutely ruins these threads with a complete lack of nuance.

It's a shame because there are legitimate issues worthy of discussion in here too.

South East Queensland Urban area has 3.5 million people. It contains Australia's 3rd and 6th largest cities by population.

The Lions, Suns and AFL aint going anywhere.

If we went by the OPs form. Swans, Bears, Power, Dockers would have all been scrapped years ago.
Population means squat if there's zero interest. See China.

IMO Australia should just get rid of QLD. It is a failed state, and they unleashed Pauline onto us.

I'm sick of their s**t.

egJnTbA.gif
Would be a fair boat trip to the reef.

Mind you they are destroying it at a rate of knots anyway

The biggest thing is A lack of success how is Gold Coast supposed to build a supporter base when they never win, they need a period of about 10 years where the are consistently making finals and maybe pinching a flag or two.

IMO Australia should just get rid of QLD. It is a failed state, and they unleashed Pauline onto us.

I'm sick of their s**t.

egJnTbA.gif

* you too!

Queenslander!!

But, as others have said, there is little interest in the sport in Queensland, at least in Central Queensland, where I live. The only people interested are southerners who have moved up. To most others it's GayFL or aerial ping pong/ballet.

There's always a poster that absolutely ruins these threads with a complete lack of nuance.

It's a shame because there are legitimate issues worthy of discussion in here too.
Agree that there is a poster in here that is using a complete lack of nuance. But he is arguably making up for it by being a nuisance, which sounds similar to nuance.

So I would say the two cancel each other out don't they?

The biggest thing is A lack of success how is Gold Coast supposed to build a supporter base when they never win, they need a period of about 10 years where the are consistently making finals and maybe pinching a flag or two.
Thats why getting it right at the start was so critical. GWS by comparison look to be set up on field as a challenger for many years to come. Gold Coast blew it

Maybe stop trying to poach their marquee player then?

Putrid how Ablett has feigned injuries in an attempt to lower his trade value. Tampering needs to be looked at by the league.

If an interstate team was performing the shenanigans of Geelong with a player of his quality to get him home there would be endless gnashing of teeth.

You mean like how the SCG and Spotless are packed out every week?

SCG has a capacity of 46,000. Swans average crowd 33,000. Spotless has a capacity of 24,000. GWS average crowd 13,000.

That's my point. The NSW teams are absolutely flying and yet still don't pack their grounds out. The Suns get similar if not better crowds than the Giants despite being never showing anything, and we all know how the Lions packed out the Gabba every week in the early 2000's.

While the two AFL teams are doing poorly up here, the sport of Australian Rules has never been stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Population means squat if there's zero interest. See China.

Poor comparison China to Brisbane. Zero interest? The local competitions are a pretty good standard in Brisbane and growing.

AFLW did really well up here this year.

Population was a massive influence on where the teams expanded. I would say there is less interest in Australian Football in Western Sydney than the Gold Coast. But we are not talking about ditching them.

Once the Lions can start winning some games, watch the people come back. Queensland is like NSW, core group of fans with a large casual bangwagon support. Same could be said about the Suns.

That's my point. The NSW teams are absolutely flying and yet still don't pack their grounds out. The Suns get similar if not better crowds than the Giants despite being never showing anything, and we all know how the Lions packed out the Gabba every week in the early 2000's.

While the two AFL teams are doing poorly up here, the sport of Australian Rules has never been stronger.

This!

Man people have no idea while sitting back in their lounge room in Melbourne.

Footy in Queensland is doing well. Hopefully the teams can start to climb the ladder over the next seasons.

Last edited:
I never understand this reasoning. I mean if West Coast finished last, would that mean WA football is in crisis, or it is a reflection on WA being able to sustain a team?
I recall in 2000, when both Freo and WC were having s**t seasons, that the "parlous state of football in WA" was an ongoing topic. As soon as they aren't automatically winning home games, there's apparently something wrong with the entire fabric of football itself...

I recall in 2000, when both Freo and WC were having s**t seasons, that the "parlous state of football in WA" was an ongoing topic. As soon as they aren't automatically winning home games, there's apparently something wrong with the entire fabric of football itself...

Would agree with you but the only time QLD footy looked good is when Brissie got a boost when Fitzroy merged

Can see this going two ways the afl giving them concessions to make them better or move one team on being GC

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

**** you too!

Queenslander!!

But, as others have said, there is little interest in the sport in Queensland, at least in Central Queensland, where I live. The only people interested are southerners who have moved up. To most others it's GayFL or aerial ping pong/ballet.

Oh my god.......neither team is in central Queensland.
Fair dinkum.

Why doesn't Gil just live in Qld, see how he likes it himself

Game is absolutely stuffed in Qld.... move the Lions back to Fitzroy, they'd get more support now...

Local footy is going great in South East Queensland......
Brisbane Lions AFLW side had a great season, with good support off the field. Espically in the media.

View attachment 408351 Surely this shows that the state cannot hold two AFL teams. And sure enough to they will both pick up young Vic players who want to go home just as they are hitting their peak.
Gold Coast in particular has some culture issues which has held the club back for many years.
I believe the AFL should merge the Suns into the Lions and then give the 18th team license to either WA or even Tassie.

2 teams in Q makes a lot more sense than a cluster of Melbourne clubs does.

Back