Streaming The Boys (Amazon)

Streaming Television
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
The thing that really annoyed me in it was Butcher's (Karl Urban) Cockney accent floating in and out. I don't know why he just couldn't use his normal NZ accent, seeing as that was prevalent most of the time anyway.
But if he wasn't English how would we get the random Spice Girls references? ;)

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Great first season. Really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of the superhero genre movies. I've only really loved Nolan's Batmans and Watchmen and a couple of other things. I don't really go out of the way to watch them when they come out these days.
I found this really impressive and compelling. The dialogue and action well balanced. The plane scene was really something else. Also the tv show Banshee was a guilty pleasure of mine so really rated Anthony Starr's performance here. Homelander is diabolical!
Dick Van Dyke would be impressed by that accent from Karl Urban lol.
The Deep lmoaooooo

The end felt like there was another episode to go, i went looking to make sure i didn't miss anything.

But best line ever
"Where are you going"
"Home"
"You ain't going anywhere you just blew some campaigner up with a bomb we shoved up his ass"

Seen 4 episodes and It's amazing, The dolphin scene might be the greatest scene in television history.

tenor.gif

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Finished, love it. Best show I've seen in a few years - when I first had that thought I did a double take thinking nah that can't possibly be right. Crunched the numbers and yep, can't think of anything I like more that's come out recently. Would agree with whoever said its probably more black comedy than drama. Actors aren't gonna win any awards but I reckon most are serviceable enough, Homelander is great and thought Hughie/Starlight did a lot of the heavy lifting fairly believably.

Season 2 when!? Gimme.

Seen 4 episodes and It's amazing, The dolphin scene might be the greatest scene in television history.

Haha yep, I lost it. That, and when Butcher weaponises the laser eyes baby. Knew I was completely in :tearsofjoy:

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I'm surprised this didn't have a large cultural impact. Was Game of Thrones the last mega show? Not even The Mandalorian was a mega hit. Stranger Things might be the closest today or even Tiger King.

The Mandalorian was pretty huge and that was just its first season not even released worldwide at the same time. Season 2 will be even bigger.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
The Mandalorian was pretty huge and that was just its first season not even released worldwide at the same time. Season 2 will be even bigger.

Good for preexisting Star Wars fans and maybe in the 12-18 age bracket, but I don’t think it was a cultural phenomenon except for Baby Yoda memes. Also from who I’ve gauged I think more thought it was okay than amazing.

These days you can tell what's popular by what spawns meme formats, both positive and negative ones. Boys spawned a couple but not the likes of some other, more widely viewed shows.

It's still a bloody good series though.

Good for preexisting Star Wars fans and maybe in the 12-18 age bracket, but I don’t think it was a cultural phenomenon except for Baby Yoda memes. Also from who I’ve gauged I think more thought it was okay than amazing.

I guess this is what I'm referring to. Have to remember Game of Thrones only really blew up with the Red Wedding which was S3.

I do not disagree with that to a degree. Certainly if a person is a star warsian, they will gravitate to mandolorian. Just like if someone loves footy, they will always display bias towards footy stuff.

These days you can tell what's popular by what spawns meme formats, both positive and negative ones. Boys spawned a couple but not the likes of some other, more widely viewed shows.

It's still a bloody good series though.
i think the Boys doesnt compare/compete with the Mandolorian. Doesnt mean it isnt a good series however.

However, just in my circles no one watches the boys, and that's ok. I admit im not a huge fan, not a comic book reader. I watch it however for a few reasons:

1. get some value out of amazon prime video
2. the concept is interesting
3. i want it to be good. so far it's been ok IMHO to me. I watch in anticipation that someone will grab me by the balls and say "WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW".

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I guess this is what I'm referring to. Have to remember Game of Thrones only really blew up with the Red Wedding which was S3.

Which is why I’m surprised The Boys didn’t pop like that. It has those Game of Thrones shocking moments, morally ambiguous characters mixed with real world cynicism. Maybe it will take time.

Unfortunately I don’t think the Mandalorian or any Star Wars product will ever get there again because essentially the universe is ripe for mature story telling but they will keep it child friendly forever.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Which is why I’m surprised The Boys didn’t pop like that. It has those Game of Thrones shocking moments, morally ambiguous characters mixed with real world cynicism. Maybe it will take time.

Unfortunately I don’t think the Mandalorian or any Star Wars product will ever get there again because essentially the universe is ripe for mature story telling but they will keep it child friendly forever.

Man, imagine an R rated Star Wars property, I'd be all over it.

No chance though as you say.

Back