Toast The Brand New Thread of Appreciation

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy moly

Love and appreciation for Sarper Duman, who lives in Istanbul and rescues street cats. And plays piano for them.

He tells his story somewhere on his youtube channel, about how he was close to committing suicide several years ago, when a bedraggled street cat synchronistically appeared and changed his course of destiny.

Such good energy coming from the music he plays, and the cats' responses to it. We need more humans like him. :greenheart:

sarper duman - YouTube

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also from Turkey, how cool is this - a vending machine type thing that takes your used plastic bottles and dispenses food for street dogs (and cats!) in return. OMG, what a truly fantastic idea. This clip is from 2014, and I hope they're still around and being used. The company that invented them is still up and running, so I hope so. We need this kind of thing in many places.

Last edited:
Closer to home, I sowed my last little crop of window lettuces yesterday. Uncertain though, as the weather's shifting here. But woke up this morning to beautiful sunshine, so there's hope! I appreciate you Mr. Sun! 🌞

Not sure Peg appreciates her windowsill being encroached upon every summer, but she does her best. Hasn't pushed the planters quite into the sink yet, but there's been some close calls. Cats!

20210829_121235_resized (2).jpg

And while she'll never admit it, Peg appreciates the lettuces too. :)

lettuce eating.jpg

🌱:cat::yellowheart:

And finally for the night, appreciation for the long overdue return of J-Pod to BC waters. They were 108 days overdue this year, with still no real explanation from marine biologists as to where they've been and why it took them so long to come back. I feel like stuff like this never bodes well environmentally though. Like, what the heck has been happening with the salmon, the ocean temperatures, the shipping lane traffic and noise increase, etc.

Anyway, they showed up again last month! Some folks I know were in Telegraph Cove a couple weeks ago and took these pics. Had a humpback on the scene too! :thumbsu:

Orca1.jpeg

Orca2.jpeg

Orca3.jpeg

Humpback3.jpeg

:whale::blueheart:

Never mind that!

.. Whaley, this is Humphrey-

View attachment 1196618

:)
Have I ever told you about the time I knocked on Humphrey Bears front door? For years and ears coming down the Peninsula, we would go past this gorgeous double story, white weatherboard house, at the bottom of Humphreys Road, where it intersects with Nepean Highway. It's not really Humphreys house, but ever since I was 5 it has been known as that. Anyway, nearly a couple of years ago, when my best little mate had been removed from his mothers care, said best little mate and I were heading up the freeway, and along the way I was geographically enhancing him. So, we have Mt. Arthur - where Arthurs Seat is, and the next along is Mt. Martha ..... now if you get them mixed up it's true to say you don't know Arthur from Martha. But I digress. Then we have Mornington, Mt. Eliza and Humphreys Hill. Right up the guts of Humphreys Hill is Humphreys Rd. and we all know that that leads to Humphreys house. Best little mate quite naturally asked if we could visit Humphrey. So we did.
I did wonder what I was doing as we crossed the manicured lawn, but who was I to kill an adventure. I knocked on the door and a gentleman answered. I grinned and introduced myself, and my best little mate. I told him the tale of how his home had become known as Humphreys house, and then wanted to know "if Humphrey could come out to play". Well he looked at me for about 2 seconds, then crouched in front of my son, and apologised. He said, "Sorry little man, Humphrey is off doing Humphrey things today, but if you'd like to try again another day, then that'd be ok".

I am thankful that people are still mostly friendly, the world is so much better for it.

Happy Spring everyone!:)

Of course, it's Fall here in Canada, and the leaves are all starting to turn, and it's as beautiful as ever.

Little message of joy and positivity from Gurdeep Pandher of the Yukon :greenheart: for these stressful times. Social media, the news, television, too much has us feel like our world is a terrible place. But if you want to remember how incredible this planet is go out into nature. And remember how incredible you are too. Nature has no incentive to make us feel bad about ourselves or each other.

Big hugs everyone.

I couldn't decide which of these to post, as they're both beautiful, but for some reason this with the sunlight in the trees is my fave. I love the quality of the sun's light shining on the tree trunks and all the colour in this. And of course, watching him do bhangra always brings me joy!

Beautiful hi-def Yukon scenery!

:earthamericas::heart:

Another one of my favourite humans - if you're not a fan of The Mountain Goats, this may not appeal, but I think John Darnielle is a genius.

His thoughts on masking, vaccines, pizza, on taking care of each other, horror fiction, and some tour dates. If you're interested, enjoy! I do heart him. And I think music and creativity are going to be more and more key to keeping our sanity and our humanity in this world.

Haven't posted for a while, but appreciation for two legends of my country.

I'm kind of appalled at the kinds of things people get into arguments about these days. It feels like sometimes we're just missing life, and I wish that would change. We've had enough of it torn from us as is by this pandemic.

Anyways, long may they both run - and they will, no matter what. I'm grateful to them both today, for continuing to use their voices, and I'm grateful for their music.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back