News The Brandon Kaufman experiment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to the headlines when he makes his debut...

KAUF TO TAKE OFF

and at his first tribunal hearing after being reported...

KAUF TO GET OFF?

probably not the headlines the club wants though with our new policies against drugs:oops:

I dunno
Seems we've swapped Joel Wilkinson for Kaufman
Same attributes
I guess he doesn't take up a list spot which is the bonus
Hopefully hes a better AFL player than NFL player and vice versa for Joel

Last edited:

I think you can't get too excited over his 10.8 second 100m sprint. Those times come from having a lot of power, which he will lose some of as he gets better at distance running. He won't be that fast as he fatigues either. I hope the experiment works, he seems like a good guy, but AFL requires a different kind of athleticism to NFL.

Where'd you hear that?
After the trade period last year, Scott Clayton on SEN said they would be looking for a ruckman out of the US. Given that the AFL are doing the legwork and bringing a bunch of them to the combine you would expect they would show up to see what is on offer.

You can probably still find the audio on audioboom

After the trade period last year, Scott Clayton on SEN said they would be looking for a ruckman out of the US. Given that the AFL are doing the legwork and bringing a bunch of them to the combine you would expect they would show up to see what is on offer.

You can probably still find the audio on audioboom

Well we were looking at a U.S. ruckman up against Kauf but opted for Kauf. Don't think we'll be after another U.S. project we wouldn't afford it.

I'm a tad old fashioned with the whole international recruit idea, especially ones that have never kicked a footy.

If the club/AFL has a spare $200-$300k over the next couple of years to pay this guy, how about spending the cash on simple things like ensuring there are Aussie rules goal posts at every school on the GC & in our zone areas and chuck in a free bag of Sherrins each year.

So we are giving our local kids the motivation & opportunity for AFL to be their #1 sport to play & follow. I think this would be money better spent for the success & longevity of the club? Just an opinion :thumbsu:

I'm a tad old fashioned with the whole international recruit idea, especially ones that have never kicked a footy.

If the club/AFL has a spare $200-$300k over the next couple of years to pay this guy, how about spending the cash on simple things like ensuring there are Aussie rules goal posts at every school on the GC & in our zone areas and chuck in a free bag of Sherrins each year.

So we are giving our local kids the motivation & opportunity for AFL to be their #1 sport to play & follow. I think this would be money better spent for the success & longevity of the club? Just an opinion :thumbsu:

Would double like if I could
They may see it as a marketing investment for selling TV rights by raising the game's profile
But is Kaufman really going to be better than the next Keegan Brooksby in line?
Before anyone says Mike Pyke..the guy was a rugby international, not a failed cover defence for a middle of the road NFL franchise

Would double like if I could
They may see it as a marketing investment for selling TV rights by raising the game's profile
But is Kaufman really going to be better than the next Keegan Brooksby in line?
Before anyone says Mike Pyke..the guy was a rugby international, not a failed cover defence for a middle of the road NFL franchise
still, its a completely foreign sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but not as foreign as NFL
There's one team of 15 players on the ground for the entire match who need a range of skills and have to act as attackers and defenders

Im aware of the fundamentals. I think its just as hard to transition from

The fact that Kaufman will first play for Labrador in the QAFL shows the Suns' preference for that club at the QAFL level. I guess it's not surprising considering a lot of juniors will come through the QAFL system before playing for the Sharks/Suns reserves in the NEAFL but it would appear the Suns have very much associated themselves with Labrador and not other QAFL clubs like Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise or Palm Beach Currumbin.

Good luck to the big yank.

The fact that Kaufman will first play for Labrador in the QAFL shows the Suns' preference for that club at the QAFL level. I guess it's not surprising considering a lot of juniors will come through the QAFL system before playing for the Sharks/Suns reserves in the NEAFL but it would appear the Suns have very much associated themselves with Labrador and not other QAFL clubs like Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise or Palm Beach Currumbin.

Good luck to the big yank.

I'm not familiar with the area. Is Labrador closer than the others you mentioned? Better training program? Better coaching staff? Or is it more shocking to be sent to QAFL first?

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the area. Is Labrador closer than the others you mentioned? Better training program? Better coaching staff? Or is it more shocking to be sent to QAFL first?

Thanks.
in our earlier years, the club seemed to have more of a link with Southport, moreso through sponsorship.

but over the past few years, the relationship between the suns & Labrador has grown. a couple of the coaches (Josh Fraser & Matty Lappin) played reserves for Labrador one season. Steve Daniel joined us this year as reserves coach, who had previously been at Labrador for quite a while. That could be the main reason why Kauffman will play there.

In term of location, Broadbeach Cats are the closest to the Suns, but I don't see that as really being a factor between the other Gold Coast clubs.

in our earlier years, the club seemed to have more of a link with Southport, moreso through sponsorship.

but over the past few years, the relationship between the suns & Labrador has grown. a couple of the coaches (Josh Fraser & Matty Lappin) played reserves for Labrador one season. Steve Daniel joined us this year as reserves coach, who had previously been at Labrador for quite a while. That could be the main reason why Kauffman will play there.

In term of location, Broadbeach Cats are the closest to the Suns, but I don't see that as really being a factor between the other Gold Coast clubs.

Thank you very much.

I have a feeling that part of the reason the club has become distant with Southport has to do with the Suns already having their own NEAFL team with top ups. Southport gave up their reserves team when they agreed to the conditions of staying in the NEAFL so that means the next highest level of competition in Queensland is the QAFL which includes four Gold Coast teams. One of those four clubs is Labrador.

I do remember back in 2010 when Charlie Dixon broke the 'player's code' and was sent back to the QAFL to play for Labrador so the relationship may go further back than some think. In terms of actual facilities, all four Gold Coast teams in the QAFL are probably around the same level but there were big plans for Surfers Paradise to receive a considerable upgrade in facilities. Southport probably still has the best facilities in Queensland and that includes both the Suns and Lions.

I think the Surfers Paradise Demons (in Benowa) are slightly closer to Metricon than the Broadbeach Cats (in Merrimac) but, as you've pointed out, distance doesn't really matter. You can virtually get to any area of the Gold Coast in less than an hour so it's not like other major cities where it takes hours to get to the other end of town. Anyway, the Suns should really focus on building a relationship with all teams that have junior sides because the next Gary Ablett could be anywhere from Yatala all the way down to the Tweed Coast. I'd like to see them start an Aussie rules club out in the Hinterland because I think that's the one area of the Gold Coast missing a team.

Let's hope Kaufman plays well for the reigning QAFL premiers Labrador.

This ones from Ben Drever who cant upload pics for some reason

12988156_598554653652916_1403205734_n.jpg

Good little interview on 7 at halftime with Brandon, Showed some highlights from his days at EWU.

If anyone has the game recording from the Seven feed would be good if you could get it taped and thrown up here for the folks at the game.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

International recruit Brandon Kaufman on 3AW Football via audioBoom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back