The breakaway league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-modelling would be a better idea.

We are too fixated with Americanisms in the name of equalisation which has been an epic failure.

Players should earn what they are worth. Some players can potentially earn more and some players earn too much due to the fact clubs are forced to pay 95% of the cap at minimum.

Equalisation isn't giving a pathway to excellence and setting new benchmarks.

Strong state league clubs should be given the right to develop their own academies and eventually challenge for big TV prize money with the big boys.

Clubs should develop their own youngsters from a young age because we see the talent depth being a horrible shambles.

but how do you remodel? Seems like the only way to get a real result these days is to do something dramatic.

I haven't read everything bit has anyone pointed out that the clubs gave the AFL their brand and identities in the 90's after the suprrleage war?

No one can break away. The club would have to start over with a new name, mascot, and colours, and compete against a 'new' organisation in the AFL who will wear their old identities.

but how do you remodel? Seems like the only way to get a real result these days is to do something dramatic.

That answer is above my pay grade I do not know. But if we stay on current path the loss of interest will continue with match attendances despite memberships saying a different story.

With such membership numbers and match day attendances - club sponsorship money should be much higher per club than it is now.

Clubs do not do enough to gain more sponsorship dollars due to the comfort of AFL distribution funds.

If a breakaway competition was to be formed, who would be the participants? Are we already tarring Eddie as a usurper and suspecting West Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney Swans & Hawthorn because they are currently successful.
Where would games be played? I doubt the MCG & Etihad would be available so would games be played at a revamped Princes Park, Victoria Park or Arden Street? Could the Adelaide teams stay at the AO? The WA (nearly said Perth) based teams would soon move into their stadium. A South Queensland based team could play out of either the Gabba or Metricon but would a breakaway competition invite a team from this location?
Would the breakaway competition be required to produce new jerseys similar to Super League's dilemma losing a certain amount of club recognition. Richmond in vertical yellow & black stripes would lose a certain amount of identity.

I'm not saying a breakaway competition couldn't happen but I think it would need more than just investing a huge chunk of money to get it off the ground and working.

The afl owns the clubs identities

To form a break away league and retain your identity you would either need to make a legal challenge on restraint or overthrow the commission. To do the latter I think you would require 14 clubs to agree ??

That said 18 clubs in an elite comp is too many.

Couldn't find a thread about this, I suspect it's there somewhere?

Anyway, I think this is going to have to happen if we want to see the game develop.

The AFL is stuck. The way they handle controversy has been suspect, there is inconsistency in dealing with equalisation, and the formula has become tiresome, to name a few things.

Rugby League had it, and despite a number of years of struggle, seem to be finally bouncing back. NFL had it, and it has been fundamental to creating one of the most equal and balanced leagues in the world.

Ideally a breakaway would involve all the current clubs disregarding the current AFL administration, but with the AFL propping up a number of clubs, it would be unlikely to go that way.

All that is to say I don't believe the current AFL administration has what it takes to lead the game to the next level. Something needs to change.

The AFL aren't 'propping up' anyone except the expansion clubs.

The clubs are propping up the AFL, even clubs like the Dogs, North, Melbourne, StKilda and even Essendon now.
The AFL make money off television rights, sponsorship etc off the back of games that all clubs pay. If the profit was just evenly split up between clubs then they'd all be fine. The clubs should be the ones who employ a governing body. The only aim of the governing body would be to make an even competition and not be corrupted by greed. All clubs would be in a strong financial position, regardless of attendances etc.

If a team left, they could introduce a new team with the same name, whilst the other clubs would still operate (reason why Fitzroy still operate in the ammos, even though the afl own the Fitzroy afl club)

No they don't.

The AFL does not own the name "Fitzroy Football Club", nor the colour combination of the Fitzroy jumper, nor the FFC logo, all of which are used by the club currently. In fact Fitzroy themselves trademarked the FFC logo (No. 764288 currently trademarked to 2018) and the AFL and Brisbane have to seek Fitzroy's permission to use it. Fitzroy can use their trademark on any clothing, footwear and headgear including football jumpers and socks, scarves, shirts, T-shirts, shorts and neckties that they merchandise.

The AFL also cannot legally prevent the Fitzroy Football Club from entering any football competition, apart from the AFL competition (for which you need a licence issued by the AFL) on the basis that they own the Fitzroy brand.

Last edited:
Depends who you ask of Fitzroy supporters. For 95% which is nearly all of them, for their perspective their club they loved is dead and no more. For some like ex-champion player a part of them lives on with the AFL farce of Fitzroy-Brisbane Bears merger. Technically a few and I do mean a few that simply want the Fitzroy name to continue they look towards that club in an amateur league as to continue the identity of Fitzroy as a football club.

THE Fitzroy Football Club held an AFL licence to compete in the AFL competition until November 1996. Now it does not. The very same club now competes in the VAFA.

Brisbane rebranded in 1996 from the Bears to the Lions in 1996 and represents Fitzroy's AFL identity in the AFL. It is not, never has been nor ever will be the Fitzroy Football Club.

most of them would make an overt public show of wailing and crying... then go to their new clubs home games.

Or would go and support Fitzroy Football Club at the Brunswick Street Oval every second Saturday afternoon. Turn up one day and you'll see them.

No
AFL owns the rights to teams in the afl
If a team left, they could introduce a new team with the same name, whilst the other clubs would still operate (reason why Fitzroy still operate in the ammos, even though the afl own the Fitzroy afl club)

The AFL isn't in direct competition with Fitzroy, they let them start up a new club just like how they let there be a Hawthorn Hawks in the EFL.

James Packer can't just start up a Hawthorn football club that's called the Hawks and is Brown and gold.

Anyway breakaway against the AFL would have to be completely new teams.

Why don't u go and start up a restaurant called McDonalds that sells hamburgers and see how you go.

The AFL isn't in direct competition with Fitzroy, they let them start up a new club just like how they let there be a Hawthorn Hawks in the EFL.

Fitzroy didn't start up a new club. The Fitzroy that competed in the AFL is the same club that currently competes in the VAFA.

Yeah man, exactly what I'm saying. AFL players have to keep up with fitness standards from codes that recycle vast amounts of money more than it.

But it's a small market sport you can't compare it to global or US sports and the 100th best AFL player in Aus paid more than the 100th best cricketer or basketballer or any other sport.

Besides don't Gymnasts have to keep up super high fitness standards and they don't even get paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy didn't start up a new club. The Fitzroy that competed in the AFL is the same club that currently competes in the VAFA.

Either way they aren't in competition with the AFL are they ?

Either way they aren't in competition with the AFL are they ?

No. But even if they were, the AFL no longer controls what Fitzroy does or doesn't do. If Fitzroy did enter a rival competition (say as part of some sort of "breakaway league") to the AFL as "Fitzroy" wearing their traditional Fitzroy jumper and so on, the AFL could not legally prevent them from doing so.

No one can break away. The club would have to start over with a new name, mascot, and colours, and compete against a 'new' organisation in the AFL who will wear their old identities.

Done. Here's something we prepared earlier.

port-adelaide-power-prison-tp_6272575358592041367f.jpg

Teams can't just leave, the AFL owns all the rights to the names trademarks logos etc.

You would have to start up completely new teams and who would want to follow the West Perth Beagles and the Glenferrie Mohawks etc.

The only way forward is for the clubs to tip out the AFL Commission and start again, and I don't think the inclination is there. Most of the dodgy decisions made by the AFL benefit the clubs.

The clubs are ultimately the owners of the afl aren't they? If enough if them voted as a block to break away I'm assuming they would have the power to do so

That's what I thought too.

The commission is put in place by the clubs, to run the game. All they have to do to "breakaway" is sack the board and move on.

No. But even if they were, the AFL no longer controls what Fitzroy does or doesn't do. If Fitzroy did enter a rival competition (say as part of some sort of "breakaway league") to the AFL as "Fitzroy" wearing their traditional Fitzroy jumper and so on, the AFL could not legally prevent them from doing so.

Fair enough but that's not the case for the current 18 teams.

You think the amount if money they earn is relative to the level of professionalism?

Would they be lesser athletes if their salaries were capped at 400k? I don't think so

Or are you referring to the amount of money clubs can spend on developing them?

They would be lesser athletes if salaries in the AFL were capped... because they would be different (lesser) athletes playing.

Lots of athletically gifted kids are elite at lots of sports- eventually they need to choose whether to commit to AFL over athletics, cricket, soccer etc.

If AFL salaries were capped at say 400k you'd get fewer elite kids choosing AFL, therefore bringing the entire standard of the league down.

Re-modelling would be a better idea.

We are too fixated with Americanisms in the name of equalisation which has been an epic failure.

Players should earn what they are worth. Some players can potentially earn more and some players earn too much due to the fact clubs are forced to pay 95% of the cap at minimum.

Equalisation isn't giving a pathway to excellence and setting new benchmarks.

Strong state league clubs should be given the right to develop their own academies and eventually challenge for big TV prize money with the big boys.

Clubs should develop their own youngsters from a young age because we see the talent depth being a horrible shambles.

A carlton fan preaching the evils of equalisation.... well I'll be dammed. ;P

I think you are right about remodelling though.

Not remodelling the AFL, but remodelling the state leagues would be how I would do it if I were king of the universe.

I'd have the state leagues band together to form a minor leagues type setup like they have in MLB baseball.

I'd look at the list of things the AFL are doing ham-fisted.... expensive food and tickets etc, crap entertainment, poor player access for fans, corporate gambling crap being forced down your throat etc. and make those issues the top priority.

you know- all the things we hate about the modern game, the stuff that is turning people off AFL.

Of course the state leagues get plenty of cash from the AFL- so they'd have to go and get their own sponsors etc...
but I think making a concerted effort to make the lower tier comp a genuine point of difference to the 'big league' is as close as we could get to a breakaway league.

Fair enough but that's not the case for the current 18 teams.

Would be interesting to see. For example the AFL cannot trademark the name "Collingwood", the bird "Magpie" or the shades of "black" and "white". What they do own is the existing logos of the eighteen clubs and would continue to own them if that club left the league. For example, the AFL still owns the Fitzroy lion logo, as well as the paddlepop lion but it does not own every other designation of a "lion" that a sporting club might wish to adopt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back