The Brisbane Lions' 10 Best Wins of the Decade (2010-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As a miserable decade for lions fans comes to a close (with the exception of 2019), I thought I'd pick my ten favourite wins of the last ten years. While there were unfortunately not many to choose from (71 in fact), it still wasn't easy. My criteria are how memorable it was, how well the team performed, and how entertaining the match was.

Disclaimer: I was unable to watch games that were not free to air before 2019, so my judgement may be blind.

10. Round 15 2017 vs Essendon at Docklands

Lions 13.12 (90) def Ess 11.16 (82)

2017 was the beginning of a new era at the lions with Chris Fagan taking the reins. Hipwood kicked the goal to put us within a point, then Bastinac put us in front, before Tippa pegged one back. Enter Ryan Lester, who calmly slots it from straight in front. This was a memorable comeback win that displayed a never say die attitude not seen since 2014. This was the moment I felt the tide had started to turn. Ryan Lester kicked the sealer and Fagan and Rockliff shared a hug post game.

Game highlights

9. Round 10 2010 vs Collingwood at GABBA

Lions 13.10 (88) def Coll 11.14 (80)

You could argue that acquiring Fevola was worth it just to beat the eventual premiers. Saturday night at the GABBA on free-to-air TV, Brown and Fevola turned it on with 4 goals each. Fev's bicycle kick. His final goal also brought the house down. My house that is.

Fev kicks the sealer

8. Round 15 2014 vs North Melbourne at GABBA

Lions 10.10 (70) def NM 9.12 (66)

The great Jonathan Brown announced his retirement during the week, so we just had to do it for Browny. After a dominant 2nd quarter by the lions, the roos clawed their way back in the second half. With seconds left and the lions leading by 5, North shot for goal and missed, and the relieved GABBA crowd cheered, as Browny leapt out of his seat.

Game Highlights

7. Round 9 2018 vs Hawthorn at GABBA

Lions 20.9 (129) def Haw 11.7 (73)

Coming into this game, the lions had lost 8 straight to start the season. Despite the recruitment of Hawks great Hodge, and Charlie Cameron, it seemed all the hope from the end of 2017 had evaporated yet again. Hipwood was a major contributor with 4 goals while Tom Cutler had 3 and Rayner and Dayne Beams had 2 each. But the most memorble moment goes to Matt Eagles' goal that sent the stadium into raptures, and signified the first ever goal scored by an AFL reality TV show winner. Add to that this was the first time Fagan had beaten his old boss Clarkson and it makes for a memorable match.

Game Highlights

6. Round 17 2018 vs Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium, Launceston

Lions 15.8 (98) def Haw 9.11 (65)

While we beat Hawthorn twice in 2018, I feel this was the better win. We had not won in Tasmania since 2009, and had not won 3 in a row since 2013. Hawthorn had emerged at genuine contenders. But this was the game Cam Rayner first really showed what he is capable of with 3 goals and 3 Brownlow votes. It was also the game where after 3 convincing wins in a row, with two of them away, I knew we had a good team once again, and there was plenty to look forward to.

Game Highlights

5. Round 16 2019 vs GWS at Giants Stadium

Lions 14.10 (94) def GWS 11.8 (74)

After two expected wins against St Kilda and Melbourne, we faced a stern test against the Giants who were expected to challenge for the flag. Turns out they were 90 points short of the flag. This one was a real team effort, jumping the giants early and keeping them at bay for the rest of the day. Eric Hipwood played through pain (and even kicked a goal while on one foot), while McCarthy played a blinder. While we lost the rematch in the semi-final, this was the match where the belief really started. Who would have guessed 9 wins in a row?

Game Highlights

4. Round 10 2012 vs West Coast Eagles at GABBA

Lions 16.6 (102) def WCE 15.10 (100)

This game... we were 14th, they were 1st. No way were we going to win. Josh Green, Josh Drummond and James Polkinghorne all kicked 3 goals each, while Adcock, Rockliff and Drummond got plenty of it. The most under appreciated moment from this match is just before THAT goal, when Niall McKeever dived to save a certain goal to the Eagles that would have put them ahead by 9. Without that, Polkinghorne might not have had his dumb luck 70m torpedo moment. "Pandemonium at the GABBA!" said Huddo. Quite appropriate.

Game Highlights

3. Round 1 2019 vs West Coast Eagles at GABBA

Lions 15.12 (102) def WCE 8.10 (58)

Really? Playing against the reigning premiers in the first game of the year when we'd only won 5 games the year before? Surely an insurmountable task. And it did seem that way after the first quarter where the eagles piled on the goals leading by 27 at quarter time. But then something magical happened. The Lions got going and kicked 14.7 (91) for the rest of the match to the eagles' 2.8 (20). New recruits Lachie Neale and Lincoln McCarthy started their lions careers with a bang kicking 1 and 3 goals respectively, the latter having a lazy 29 disposals. Add in freshly recovered Charlie Cameron and his Goal of the Year nomination, and you got the best possible start to a season in a very long time. To beat the reigning premiers like this was a huge upset at the time. Glad to know it would not be an upset now.

Game Highlights

2. Round 13 2013 vs Geelong at GABBA

Lions 15.13 (103) def Geel 14.14 (98)

"The miracle on grass"... 21 minutes into the 3rd quarter, the lions are down and out by 52 points. It looked like Geelong were going to storm home en route to another flag, or preliminary final at least. I don't think I need to tell you what happens next. I think I'll let this video do the talking:

The entire comeback.

The 8th biggest comeback in the history of AFL. Remarkable.

1. Round 22 2019 vs Geelong at GABBA

Lions 10.15 (75) def Geel 10.14 (74)

This was the club's biggest game in a decade. A top 4 spot, maybe even top of the ladder was on the line in this game. After a decade of pain, what a feeling it was to be in the top 8 again, let alone 2nd! We actually now have a team that can compete. This was a see-sawing battle where Geelong threatened to pull away many times. They kicked 3 goals just before half time for a 17 point lead. Then after a tight 3rd quarter, the cats kicked away again with about 8 minutes left. But with 5 minutes left Charlie Cameron kicks his 5th to put the lions within striking distance... enter Lincoln McCarthy, in his first game against his old club and his 50th overall. McCarthy takes a speccy over Jack Henry with 3 minutes left. He calmly slots it and we are in front for the first time! It wasn't quite over yet with Geelong having one last crack at goal, but scoring a behind. The final minute was tense being locked in the cats' 50 but the lions managed to clear it to the wing with 10 seconds left to hold on for the best win of this decade, and sadly the last of this decade. The pictures of Fagan running onto the ground after the siren won't be forgotten any time soon.

Game Highlights

And that's my 10. Are there any I have missed? Should any matches here be higher? Or lower? Let me know what you think. Looking very forward to the next decade, and hopefully it will bring us 150+ wins instead of 71, and a some flags too.

Love the list. I think the Port game from this year is somewhere in the top 10 for mine. To back up from the Giants game and just embarrass Port down there from the start with some key outs was pretty phenomenal. The Suns in round 1 2017 is up there as well I think, for being Fages' first game and how well we started.

2012 against the Crows at the Gabba was pretty memorable too, but maybe not quite in the top 10.

I feel like Round 8 (?) 2013 vs. Essendon at Docklands deserves a special mention

Did consider that one. Enjoyed that win. Funny story with that game is it was on TV but on delay by an hour. I checked Facebook 3/4 time and my lions supporting friend made a post about the win. Enjoyed the Staker goal no less though.

Yeah not the best word choice. Polks went for it and got lucky.
Love the list Sean.
That West coast game was a game that will always be in my personal favourites.
There was so much about it that was extraordinary.
The Gabba small but loyal crowd, no bandwagoners that day just us diehards, the Mckeever dive, Greeny the super sub kicking 3 goals I think , the lead up to Polks Torp and then the omg look at that thing fly, the siren when we won, and last but certainly not least was when the boys did there victory lap and jed Adcock clapping with his arms stretched to the sky , thanking and looking at people in the crowd.
That was such a proud day to be a Lion supporter.
Great times

Great thread.

I have one that's a little left field in that it was a loss.

Round 7 season 2018

Collingwood 19.7.121 d Lions 18.6.114 at the Gabba.

Even though it was a close loss, this was the game we really showcased our style of play . It was widely acknowledged as one of the best examples of pure AFL football that had been seen for a long time. We got a lot of kudos from that game and some hard earned respect.

Maybe in our "best" loss candidates?

Love the list. I think the Port game from this year is somewhere in the top 10 for mine. To back up from the Giants game and just embarrass Port down there from the start with some key outs was pretty phenomenal. The Suns in round 1 2017 is up there as well I think, for being Fages' first game and how well we started.

2012 against the Crows at the Gabba was pretty memorable too, but maybe not quite in the top 10.
I was gonna say that suns game, was awesome experience down at the suns circus tent

Port at Adelaide oval 2019

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Amazing start to that game. Both our victories over Port this year were sensational.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Round 8 (?) 2013 vs. Essendon at Docklands deserves a special mention
That should be number one IMO. Only time I actually cried tears of joy in my entire life. Our first game in our proper jumper since the paddlepop rebranding and we simply had to make a statement that day.

just rewatched the 2014 NM match :D was told afl still have matches from 2012+ for free on their website (how come i never knew this.....)

good fun! for some reason only had the first quarter for the 2012 WC match... shame. Might go through this list as the lead up to R1 rolls on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back