• Below AFL Standard

Votes: 44 44.9%
  • Meh.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Good, but underperforming

Votes: 36 36.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, alright buddy. It's not like we had a choice to trade for future picks or trade up the draft. I even suggested at the time that we trade for one of GWS 1st round picks after we received Pick 17 for Redden. I had no clue why we would trade pick 17 for Bastinac, who was a fringe player at North.

We should of picked up a free agent or targeted a mature player through the state leagues if we wanted experienced players. Their output in terms of performances would be on par with what Bell and Bastinac has given us this year.

The Aish trade alone should of been enough to land points for Keays, Hipwood and a 2016 3rd round pick, that's if we worked with Collingwood at the trade table. Instead we acted like smart asses saying Aish is going to PSD and we didn't captilize on the trade, whist we come out looking like bunch of amateurs in that trade.

What would we have given up for that GWS first rounder?

The fact that you're still saying pick 17 for bastinac is completely ignoring the realities of academy drafting and the rest of the trade parts.

As for the not working with Collingwood on the trade and being smart asses I think you're jumping to a conclusion without any information to the contrary. We had continuous discussions with Collingwood but we wanted another mature player instead of just pick which they wouldn't oblige with. Love when people come out with this we should have demanded this or got that. Trades go two ways and there's a lot of back and forth, its not like you can demand whatever you want like a petulant child and get it.

What would we have given up for that GWS first rounder?

The fact that you're still saying pick 17 for bastinac is completely ignoring the realities of academy drafting and the rest of the trade parts.

As for the not working with Collingwood on the trade and being smart asses I think you're jumping to a conclusion without any information to the contrary. We had continuous discussions with Collingwood but we wanted another mature player instead of just pick which they wouldn't oblige with. Love when people come out with this we should have demanded this or got that. Trades go two ways and there's a lot of back and forth, its not like you can demand whatever you want like a petulant child and get it.
Lol, alright buddy.

This is actually quite interesting. We’ll probably have similar debates over future trades.

So there are now two different ways to look at the value of a trade:

Firstly, to look at each trade purely in terms of inputs and outputs, and whether it is equitable on its own.

Secondly, to consider what the points we acquire in each trade actually gets us through the academy bidding process, and whether that is more or less than what we gave up in the trade.

I favour the first method. Trades may not be a zero sum game, but the AFL more broadly pretty much is. And we should be using the 20% discount to make up the competitive disadvantage we face against clubs like North Melbourne, not handing it to them as extra value in a trade.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do deals like the Bastinac trade – had we just taken what Collingwood offered and stopped dealing with North we’d have just wound up with a couple of extra late picks we couldn’t have used anyway. But we should always try to squeeze as much value as we can out of each negotiation, and I maintain we could have gotten something better back from the Roos than a future third rounder, with them still winding up well ahead.

Back