The Brisbane Roar Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey yo Victory fans, don't come in here trying to do the troll or I'll starting slapping people. Fans of anyone else for that matter. Know the rules.

Whats the go with Erik Paartalu ?? Is he contracted for this season ? He is doing the clubs preseason - which is wierd if he is leaving shortly.

He's still got a year on his contract. From what I here he wants a big rise in pay which is fair enough from his point of view but I'm not sure we can afford it. He's been offered a good deal in the middle east and it'll be up to him to accept that offer then up to us to decide if we cash in now or wait a year and let him go for free. The likelihood is we cash in knowing our finances. I think he'd prefer to stay if we can come up with a decent offer.

And really, you should thank me, for kick starting this thread, because after 1 month of it being in existence, it was going no-where fast, you silly jaffer.

We only post when we're winning...luckily we always win so when the season starts it'll be flying :p

BTW any venting at Ang will mostly be tongue in cheek, but it has to be expected...afterall he chose to leave the best club side in Australian history despite saying he wanted to be here for a long long time. He'll always be thanked for what he did but he's now the enemy and is fair game.

We only post when we're winning...luckily we always win so when the season starts it'll be flying :p

BTW any venting at Ang will mostly be tongue in cheek, but it has to be expected...afterall he chose to leave the best club side in Australian history despite saying he wanted to be here for a long long time. He'll always be thanked for what he did but he's now the enemy and is fair game.

Best club side? I understand the difference between a club which is a going concern and a side, the players on the pitch, but in both respects Melbourne Victory has the Brisbane Roar covered.

Brisbane 2010/11 and 2011/12: 1 premiership, 2 championships.
Melbourne Victory during it's reign at the top: 2 premierships, 2 championships.

So both as a club and the players who represented MV during its reign at the top, Melbourne has had more success.

Yea I'm aware Brisbane has some record for longest undefeated run or something like that, but records get broken, they are meant to be broken, they can be taken away. Trophies don't get taken away and are the ultimate indication of success. Exluding the pre-season trophy MV won a few years back, MV has 4, BR has 3. No argument at this stage. If BR win more trophies this season, then different story. But right now, Melbourne Victory is the most successful club in the A-League.

Best club side? I understand the difference between a club which is a going concern and a side, the players on the pitch, but in both respects Melbourne Victory has the Brisbane Roar covered.

Brisbane 2010/11 and 2011/12: 1 premiership, 2 championships.
Melbourne Victory during it's reign at the top: 2 premierships, 2 championships.

So both as a club and the players who represented MV during its reign at the top, Melbourne has had more success.

Yea I'm aware Brisbane has some record for longest undefeated run or something like that, but records get broken, they are meant to be broken, they can be taken away. Trophies don't get taken away and are the ultimate indication of success. Exluding the pre-season trophy MV won a few years back, MV has 4, BR has 3. No argument at this stage. If BR win more trophies this season, then different story. But right now, Melbourne Victory is the most successful club in the A-League.

Ha...go a year undefeated and then you can call yourself the best side ever Gerrard...until then you can call yourself the most successful in the short A League history if you like, or even the team that is now coached by the coach of the best side ever if that makes you feel better, but Brisbane Roar 2010/11 is the Best side in Australian Football History no doubt about it.

First Timer here - Been reading about Brisbane and about Melbourne Victory and I see both sides but ultimately I think Steven Gerrard has it right, trophy cabinets don't lie. Also I am a Adelaide United Supporter and we have won nothing and do well in the asia champions league but again we have not achieved what Melbourne or Brisbane have, but hey we still are a good team when we get it together. :)

First Timer here - Been reading about Brisbane and about Melbourne Victory and I see both sides but ultimately I think Steven Gerrard has it right, trophy cabinets don't lie. Also I am a Adelaide United Supporter and we have won nothing and do well in the asia champions league but again we have not achieved what Melbourne or Brisbane have, but hey we still are a good team when we get it together. :)

Welcome to the animal farm ES! Hope you survive, but also ask you keep it on topic with the thread. Don't be a turd who is embarrassing my favourite Liverpool player by disgracing his name

LOL @ Turd , Hey I can handle it , just was reading up and I just think that its pretty simple, trophy cabinets don't lie, as much as Brisbane did awesome to go unbeaten for so long, victory ( as much as i hate to admit it ) have more trophies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify Eurostyler. Poor choice of words on part of me in the last post. I apologize for any offence caused.

What was intended was to say, please don't be like a certain poster who hijacks to discuss how great their club is in a thread in discussing how THIS club is ;)

That said, I do have a sot spot for Adelaide United since they did Australia proud in the ACL

Back to the topic of Brisbane...How does everyone think we'll go this year? Do you think Rado is up to the job? I have my misgivings if I'm honest. Going forward I think we'll still be the best side in the competition, but defensively we have holes especially in the Centre. If Matt Smith were to get injured we'd be in strife imo. I think Rado showed in the CL last year he'll keep the side playing well but I would like to see a bit more of a solid defence at times...Hopefully Jurman improves this year because last season he was a liability at times.

I see you guys will keep hold of Paartalu as Baniyas have gone after Carle.

That's gotta be a boost

I see you guys will keep hold of Paartalu as Baniyas have gone after Carle.

That's gotta be a boost

Better than losing him as he is one of few defensive players we have. He seems to have gotten a little ahead of himself from reading his comments in the media, talking about making Socceroos sides etc. he's not quite at that standard imo although he does suit the Roar style of play.

We made another signing with Japanese Under 19 International Yuji Takahashi joining. A CB which was the obvious position that needed filling but he can play across the back 4, so he sounds a good prospect. Will no doubt be technically sound rather than a big lump. I'm interested to see everyone's best 11 now that the squad is finalised...we've got very good depth imo.

Not sure about Rado. Halloran is a great signing to go into that midfield with Broich and Nichols and Erik. They still have Berisha who i think is the best striker the league has seen. They should finish in the top 4.

We beat Sydney 5-1 in a friendly today. Can't read much into any friendly but the starting side was probably our best 11 or as close to it as we're likely to see.

-----------------Theo-------------------
Franjic--Smith----Jurman--Steffanuto
--------------Paartulu------------------
----Nichols--------------Broich--------
Halloran----------------------Henrique
---------------Berisha------------------

Will be hard to beat. The Korean and the Japanese boy along with Donachie will probably challenge jurman and Henrique for their spots, but aside from those that is our best side.

I'm getting one this year for the first time. I've always gone to most matches but never really felt the need to buy a membership, but my ten year old daughter loves going these days and the $50 kids membership makes it worthwhile.

We've got a very tough start to the season coming up with away trips to Perth and wellington in the first few weeks...they certainly won't be making the three peat easy for us :)

I'm sure they'd be bragging if the shoe were on the other foot but I'll leave the bragging till later in the season :) Great win and I had to miss it :( Hopefully we can keep the crowds at around the same sort of level throughout the year. Why wouldn't you go and watch this fantastic team!

I'm sure they'd be bragging if the shoe were on the other foot but I'll leave the bragging till later in the season :) Great win and I had to miss it :( Hopefully we can keep the crowds at around the same sort of level throughout the year. Why wouldn't you go and watch this fantastic team!

I tracked the game on the Fox Sports website. Couldn't afford a ticket to the game (Suncorp Stadium is about a 15 minute walk from my place)

Honestly, I think because Brisbane was QRL based (Sydney was NSWRL, Victoria VFL) which never exploded onto a national scale, Brisbane has a primarily one code default mentality, where everything just goes to NRL. After that, Brisbane's natural team selection is whoever is winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back