The Brisbane Roar Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Club went downhill when they decided Broich was to to leave yet kept hacks like McKay, Dagastino and Henrique
Harsh on Henrique imo.
Club legend, he's older sure, but was one of our better players in his prime.

Club went downhill when they decided Broich was to to leave yet kept hacks like McKay, Dagastino and Henrique
Club went downhill the moment Aloisi decided to field a second string side against a must-win ACL game against Muangthong because the semis were supposedly more important and going on to lose that semi anyway, then Aloisi NOT getting sacked over that debacle.

Question mate. Is there anyway for Brisbane to get out of Suncorp and into a boutique stadium? I don’t know Brisbane but surely there is a neat 15-20k rectangle stadium the roar can use other than Suncorp.
Ballymore is a shithole and in an awful location. Although after going to Kogarah for Sydney FC away I do support the idea of moving to another stadium only problem is Perry Park would be way too small and the others are in a terrible location

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Brisbane Roar captain and Australia's AFC Asian Cup-winning midfielder Matt McKay will retire this month after an 18-year professional career.

McKay, 36, best known for his on-field leadership and tucked-in shirt, is ending a stellar career for both club and country.
Other players will retire with more accolades, but McKay can say he led one of the greatest Australian club sides of all time.
Under coach Ange Postecoglou, McKay captained the Roar to the club's first title in 2010-11, finishing the season on a 28-game unbeaten streak.
In that season, he was named PFA Player of the Year.
His teammates would lengthen that run to an Australian-record 36 matches as he pursued an overseas career, but McKay returned to help Brisbane win another double in 2013/14 under Mike Mulvey.
He's continued on at the Roar through the club's downturn in fortunes and has decided against playing on next year.
"I'm grateful for everything football has given me," McKay said.
"I've had an enjoyable career with plenty of highs and lows, but I've always had a smile on my face and that's what's made it for me."
McKay also enjoyed success in the Socceroos set-up, most notably under his former club boss Postecoglou.

He travelled to Brazil as part of Australia's 2014 FIFA World Cup team and helped the Socceroos win a first major trophy - the Asian Cup - in 2015.
"I've always tried my hardest and I think that's what has made my career last as long as it it has - I've always given my all," McKay said.
"I was there from day one at the Roar and played with some immense players with a great work ethic, which has been really special."
McKay has two matches to finish his career, both on home soil.
The Roar face Newcastle on Saturday and then Adelaide United on Anzac Day, with tributes planned for the foundation A-League player.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/roar-skipper-mckay-coy-on-future-plans_1

He was a big part of the Roar especially under the Ange years, will leave a massive hole!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Warren Moon appointed Brisbane Roar Hyundai A-League Head Coach
@brisbaneroar

Brisbane Roar Football Club is delighted to announce it has appointed Hyundai A-League foundation player Warren Moon as its new Hyundai A-League Head Coach.
Moon, who previously held the position of Brisbane Roar Academy General Manager, is one of Australia’s finest coaching products having established himself during a highly-successful stint as Head Coach of NPL Queensland outfit Lions FC.
Moon returned to Brisbane Roar in September 2019 and has been a key figure in the reinvigoration of the Academy, which continues to produce Hyundai A-League players.
He will continue to maintain oversight of the Brisbane Roar Academy Program as an important pathway for our future Brisbane Roar Hyundai A-League players.
Brisbane Roar holds a special place in the heart of the NPL QLD championship-winning coach, having played in the Club’s first ever Hyundai A-League fixture in 2005.
“It’s a great privilege to be appointed as Head Coach of this great football club,” Moon said.
“As one of the Club’s inaugural players, Brisbane Roar has always meant a great deal to me. It was an honour to return to the Club in its Academy, and now to continue as Head Coach of its Hyundai A-League squad.

“There’s plenty to play for this season and plenty of work to be done in the coming weeks. I’m excited for the challenge ahead and looking forward to working closely with a terrific group of coaches and a highly-talented playing group.”
Brisbane Roar’s new Head Coach brings with him a deep passion for the Club, the continued development of its squad members as well as an unparalleled understanding of the Queensland football landscape.
Brisbane Roar Vice-Chairman Chris Fong says the appointment is a terrific opportunity both for the Club and for its new Head Coach.
“The club was focused on appointing an Australian coach as its next Head Coach and we are pleased to not only announce our new Head Coach is not only Australian, but a terrific advocate for Queensland football,” Fong said.
“He has had wonderful success in the NPL QLD, played a key role in our Academy, was a foundation player for the Club and is now becoming the leader of our Hyundai A-League team.”
“His coaching credentials speak for itself and we believe Warren has the experience and ability to continue building our Club to the top of Australian football.”
CEO David Pourre said: “Warren has been an integral part of our football setup since his commencement with us. I’m sure all Queensland local clubs, players, coaches and supporters of football will embrace the appointment of Warren and continue their support of our great club.”

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dire situation at the Roar. Not looking good for the Bakries to continue supporting the club unless major changes apply.

Brisbane Roar under siege amid PFA feud over player’s alleged drug use​

A feud has erupted between Brisbane Roar and the A-League players’ union over an attempt to sack defender Corey Brown over alleged drug use - one of a number of serious legal battles the club is fighting that could force action against their Indonesian owner.

Brown, a long-time club stalwart who has never failed a drug test, is fighting against the termination of his three-year contract and denies all allegations made against him by the Roar, who are also under investigation for an alleged JobKeeper rort and are at risk of being thrown out of Queensland’s NPL competitions due to unpaid debts with the state governing body.

Brisbane Roar moved to sever ties with the 28-year-old left-back last month, but despite still waiting for a verdict on the matter being returned by Football Australia’s national dispute resolution chamber, the club went public late on Thursday night with a 25-word statement announcing Brown’s exit, while providing no reason for it.
That has brought the issue, which has been bubbling away in the background for months, into the public light, prompting a scathing response from Professional Footballers Australia to their “misleading and bizarre statement” and general lack of professionalism.
“As the club is aware, Corey has initiated judicial proceedings to dispute Brisbane Roar’s termination of his contract,” PFA co-chief executive Beau Busch said.
“As a consequence of this legal action, Corey’s contract remains on foot until a final determination is made. This is something the club, deliberately or otherwise, is failing to understand.

“As the club continues to operate well below the expected standards of a professional football club, the PFA’s primary focus remains on protecting Corey’s wellbeing – something the club seems to have little regard for.”
The Roar has since released a second statement, rejecting the PFA’s statement, confirming Brown was terminated for serious misconduct, and inviting Busch to “disclose his involvement in this investigation and subsequent termination process and to publicly state the PFA position on the issues that gave the Club no option but to terminate [Brown’s] contract for Serious Misconduct.”
Football Australia confirmed Brown had submitted an application to its dispute resolution chamber and said: “All players and clubs who are parties to an A-Leagues player contract are obliged to submit exclusively to the jurisdiction of the NDRC.”
Brown did not take part in Brisbane’s recent friendlies against English Premier League sides Leeds United and Aston Villa due to a club-imposed suspension, after the Roar made allegations against him in April regarding recreational drug use during the off-season, nor has he featured in the Australia Cup, where the club has reached the quarter-finals after a penalty shootout win over Avondale FC on Wednesday. Since April, he has been blocked from training with the team and has been forced to train alone at his own cost, despite cooperating with an investigation into his alleged conduct.

The Herald and The Age has seen correspondence between legal representatives of Brown and the Roar, where the player’s lawyer rejects the allegations made by the club, which are described as “generalised and opaque”, and demands for the club to provide Brown with conclusive proof of wrongdoing, which the lawyer says has not been provided.
The club also has not paid Brown his salary for this month, despite his contract being on foot while the appeal process continues. Ben Ihle, QC, who represented Essendon AFL players during their supplements scandal case with ASADA and oversaw the inquiry into Victoria’s hotel quarantine program, is the independent arbiter of Brown’s case with the FA’s disputes chamber, and is expected to hand down a decision imminently.
The situation has taken a significant toll on Brown, who was flagged by the club’s doctor as experiencing mental health distress, and has been provided with care and support by the PFA. Current and former Roar players are furious at the way Brown has been treated, and a recent PFA survey has found only 34 per cent of the men’s squad last season would recommend the club to other players - the lowest figure since the union began its annual club benchmarking reports.
Meanwhile, the Fair Work Ombudsman has confirmed it is investigating the Roar after receiving complaints that players from the club’s youth team were being underpaid. Sources say the Roar’s youth team, who are on amateur contracts, were asked to sacrifice $500 per week during the first COVID shutdown in 2020 to pay for medical and fitness services. When players were then placed on the JobKeeper wage subsidy program, money received from the government was withheld by the club.
“As this matter is ongoing, it is not appropriate to comment further at this time,” said an FWO spokesperson.
Football Queensland is also threatening to kick out the Roar’s academy teams from the NPL system unless it repays an unpaid debt of over $100,000, which other sources say has been outstanding for several years. The Roar’s licence to play in the NPL expires at the end of the year and won’t be renewed unless that debt is paid, according to sources. FQ was contacted for comment.
These are just the latest legal issues to have arisen at the Roar under the ownership of Indonesian conglomerate the Bakrie Group, which has bankrolled the club since 2011 and has long been criticised by fans for their meagre spending on football and off-field disorganisation. Football Australia has the power to heavily sanction the club for any breaches of their club licensing agreement, which may end up forcing the Australian Professional Leagues - which already runs the ownerless Newcastle Jets - to step in and take over the club.
It has been a steady fall from grace over the past decade for the Roar, who once set a new benchmark for Australian club soccer with a mesmerising 36-game unbeaten streak - a national sporting record - under former coach Ange Postecoglou in 2011-12.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Warren Moon gone!

Brisbane Roar bid farewell to Warren Moon as head coach steps down​

Brisbane Roar have announced the departure of head coach Warren Moon, who steps down from his role at the club’s Isuzu UTE A-League side with immediate effect.

Moon, a foundation Roar player, took control of Brisbane for the last five games of the 2019-20 season, replacing Robbie Fowler when the competition resumed after a lengthy hiatus at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Moon went on to lead the club through 75 Isuzu UTE A-League games, winning 22, drawing 22 and losing 31.

Brisbane began the 2022-23 season producing solid form under Moon, losing just once in 10 games, conceding just seven goals in that time frame.

But the Roar have since gone seven games without a win, losing five games and drawing two, tumbling down to 11th spot on the table at the conclusion of Round 17, just one point above Western United in last place.

In a club statement Brisbane thanked Moon for his service in the role over the past three years. The search begins now for an interim head coach, which the club states “will be announced in due course.”

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Meet Brisbane Roar’s new interim coach: A UK export with NPL experience – can he turn things around?​

Brisbane Roar have appointed Nick Green as interim head coach until the end of the 2022-23 Isuzu UTE A-League season.

Green moves in to replace Warren Moon, who stepped down with immediate effect amid a seven-match winless streak.

Former Brisbane City coach Green has a UEFA A coaching license and has worked with Hartlepool and Lincoln City, and he will be in the dugout for the Roar’s visit of Perth Glory on Sunday.

Green has earned praise for his work in youth development in the UK, being credited by Lincoln City with helping to revitalise their academy program. Then City manager Danny Cowley heaped praise on Green when it was announced he was emigrating to Australia in 2018, initially to work in an elite Brisbane private school.

Brought in by Brisbane City to work on their youth programs, Green was made head coach in 2019, and took the team to sixth place in his first season. But four games into the 2020 season, amidst the onset of the pandemic, Green was fired – being replaced by former Brisbane Roar captain, and then City football director, Matt Smith.

Green took City to an employment tribunal and had his claim for payment of the balance of his contract upheld.

Now he has the chance to stake a claim for the Roar role long term, with the club announcing it has commenced a permanent head coach recruitment process “which is part of a broader restructuring program, and expects to make further announcements after the conclusion of the current season.”

Brisbane are 11th in the standings, just a point above bottom place and seven points outside the top six.

Moon took over from Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler towards the end of the 2019/20 season, taking the Roar to two finals campaigns and last year’s Australia Cup semi-finals.

The club was busy during this month’s transfer window to address their offensive woes, recruiting Serbian striker Stefan Scepovic and welcoming back Robbie Kruse among seven new faces brought to the club.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I think we went the entire season without even making it onto the sports section on the news. Ch7 anyway

how do you think Ross will go? He has been at the club before as an assistant and most recently was assistant to Muscat at Yokohama, I think its a good idea to give him a go and somewhere familiar to him is probably the right choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Brisbane Roar announce departure of head coach Ross Aloisi: Full details​

Brisbane Roar have confirmed the departure of their Isuzu UTE A-League team’s head coach Ross Aloisi for an overseas opportunity.

Aloisi took over in April 2023 – his first senior head coaching role in the Isuzu UTE A-League – and enjoyed a solid start to the campaign.

In his short period at the helm, Aloisi took Brisbane to their first ever Australia Cup Final where they fell short against Sydney FC.

Brisbane also strung together an impressive start to the A-Leagues season, with Roar sitting in fifth after nine games and blooding a host of talented youngsters.

Assistant coach Luciano Trani has been appointed interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

“Leaving Brisbane Roar has been a very tough decision for me,” Aloisi said in a statement.

“I wholeheartedly believe in the club’s progress and direction. However, the opportunity presented to me overseas is something that aligns closely with my personal journey and goals as a coach. It’s a path I feel I must take at this stage in my career.”

Kaz Patafta, CEO and Chairman of Brisbane Roar added: “While we are sad to see Ross leave, we understand and respect his decision.

“Our club is on a remarkable upward trajectory, and we will continue to build on this momentum. We are in the process of finalising key contract extensions, which will be announced in the coming weeks. These extensions are a clear indicator of our players’ belief in the club’s direction and future.

“With Ross’ departure, we are pleased to appoint Luciano Trani as the interim Head Coach for the rest of the season. Luciano’s vast experience in the A-Leagues aligns perfectly with our club’s philosophy and goals. We are fully committed to supporting Luciano in continuing the positive start to this season.

“Absolutely nothing changes in terms of our goals and aspirations for this season. We are well prepared for these transitions and remain steadfast in our commitment to success. The club’s management and dedicated team ensure that we are always ready to adapt and maintain our competitive edge.”

Brisbane return to action on Thursday night, when they face Melbourne City at AAMI Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back