The Brisbane Roar Thread

Broar

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The lack of respect shown to a manager who has just done the double is disgraceful, first time I've ever felt ashamed to call myself a member of this club. :(

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
UQ AFC (My only true team)
Don't ever feel ashamed about following the club Broar :) Be ashamed that the club has been allowed to follow the Brisbane Lions path of 2003 - 2009 (The Era of Bowers/Kelly) with questionable management.

A lot of stories circulating in the media, and that is all they are. Stories. His recruiting hasn't been outstanding and not the standard required to replace the likings of Berisha, Partaluu and everyone else that has been poached from us.

We have all seen the lack of chemistry or tolerance between the players on the field. Steffanuto and Young, Matt McKay's lack of discipline or composure. His man management thus far you would have to say is way off.

He did enough to steer the ship as interim-head coach and then had a really good year with Berisha up forward. Kind of reminds me of a team that had a really good year with Suarez up forward and are struggling without him. And look how much pressure is now on Brendan Rodgers.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Interesting passage from Fox Sports

Poor recruitment has come back to haunt Mulvey, as has his fractured relationship with the club’s technical director Ken Stead, a staunch ally of managing director Sean Dobson and chairman Chris Fong.

Ironically, it was Stead who recommended Mulvey as the man to replace Rado Vidosic as Roar coach less than two years ago.

But in the end, Mulvey didn’t like having a football boss and wanted to do things his way, rather than the “Roar” way.

I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. In any code of football, in any line of work, there is nothing worse than workplace politics

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Gotta feel for Mulvey. Very poor from the club in handling this. Mulvey didn't do much wrong this year, quite unlucky with OG and keeper howlers.

It is quite obvious that on field performances had little to do with this decision. Board/GM wanted Mulvey gone last year but he just kept performing. Only a matter of time - in a salary capped league. Just shows its so important, must constantly be regenerating and recruiting, the visa / marquee spots must perform.

Hope the Den give MM a decent send off with a tifo or something on the weekend. Deserved much better.

lion4life

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool; Washington Wizards
Up 1-0 from an early penalty at HT via Wanderers @ Pirtek.

Think we've been superb in the 1st half.

Hopefully we can send him out on a winning note this afternoon. If true I am really dissapointed. Smithy was always a likeable player to have around the club and deserves the best farewell possible. Heart and soul of the club. Bleeds orange and black.

As for replacements, Polenz would be a decent get. Runs all game and has mongrel about him.

Last edited:

Boro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2003
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, Roar, Celtics, Cubs
Not sure if you guys watch every match :) but imo thank the lord Smith was dropped…a huge reason we've been so poor this year…yeah he'd been a good servant, but he's obviously had this move on his mind all season because he has been terrible. Finally gives Donachie the chance to play in his actual position too, so at least we have a chance of not ruining the poor guys career. Great win, even if it wasn't a great second half, and great to see another good match from Young in goal.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not sure if you guys watch every match :) but imo thank the lord Smith was dropped…a huge reason we've been so poor this year…yeah he'd been a good servant, but he's obviously had this move on his mind all season because he has been terrible. Finally gives Donachie the chance to play in his actual position too, so at least we have a chance of not ruining the poor guys career. Great win, even if it wasn't a great second half, and great to see another good match from Young in goal.

Fair point on Smith.

Teams aren't afraid to take us on anymore. That spells problems for us as I have no doubt when we are on form and at our peak, teams don't take on the game or press as efficiently.

I will say right now, thank god for Henrique

Boro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2003
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, Roar, Celtics, Cubs
I'd given up on Henrique a couple of seasons back after his injury run…i thought he'd lost too much zip, but he's been great for 2 seasons now. He's been superb and is the one player that has been helped by Berisha leaving. Still, the only chance we have of doing something in the ACL and in the league this year is if we buy a central striker of some quality to go alongside him. I wonder if the club plans on signing some players for the ACL or if they're happy just to trundle along...

Back