The Browne-Clark-McClure-Barrett Register - Measuring AFL journalist performance at trade time

Who do you think will have the best success rate?

• Sam McClure

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Jay Clark

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Damian Barrett

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Sam Edmund

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • other

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • Tom Browne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitch Cleary

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Tom Morris

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
BigFooty - I come to you in need of assistance to act as the 'Champion Data' of sorts for the AFL media with the onset of the trade period.

I'm working on what I call The Browne-Clark-McClure-Barrett Register, which is essentially a running sheet of all the rumors and predictions spouted by sources in the media, and later on making a call on whether or not it's true or false.

This will give the community a basis on which to judge the efficacy of a prediction or a call from each of the journalists, based on how many predictions they make and the success rate of those predictions.

Just post here or submit via this form when you see a rumor from a media pundit with the source and I will put it in the register and update it daily (hopefully).

EDIT: I won't be including Facebook or Twitter pages for a few reasons; one, because they're honestly not to be trusted in the first place and, two, no one on earth has that amount of time.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of the 'FALSE' calls, only 1 of them is actually definitively 'FALSE' as written - the Coniglio call by Tom Browne. I'm fairly certain he never actually said he was 100% to Carlton either.

Not to say journalists don't pull things out of their arse, but at the time of report the Suns may have been closing in on a deal for Burgoyne, the Dogs may have been leading the race for Martin, Ceglar may have been more likely the Hawks to leave then stay etc.

Good idea, but some questionable entries in the list. Geelong were in the running for Goldstein, Goldstein mentioned their interest in his press conference.

Not to say journalists don't pull things out of their arse, but at the time of report the Suns may have been closing in on a deal for Burgoyne, the Dogs may have been leading the race for Martin, Ceglar may have been more likely the Hawks to leave then stay etc.

That's a valid point. And none of these guys are going to end up with a strike rate of 100% because of it.

But it would be interesting to see if one ends up on 11% and another on 45% success rate.

I'd like to know whether I need to take a journo's call with a pinch of salt or whole bloody salt mine.

Good idea, but some questionable entries in the list. Geelong were in the running for Goldstein, Goldstein mentioned their interest in his press conference.

Of the 'FALSE' calls, only 1 of them is actually definitively 'FALSE' as written - the Coniglio call by Tom Browne. I'm fairly certain he never actually said he was 100% to Carlton either.

That's what you guys are here for.

Regardless, this 'leading the race' thing needs to be called out for the bullshit that it is. It's the journalist way of getting around making a call without actually looking like making a call.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, so I'm marking harshly. If at any point a journalist says that a certain club is definitively 'leading the race' or 'they'll be shocked if a deal doesn't get done' I'm counting that as false if it doesn't happen.

The 'closing in on a deal' statement happened an hour before he signed at the Hawks.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

These blokes all Melbourne based?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

How does “Joe Daniher could go to Sydney and if he did then Jeremy Cameron could be his ideal replacement at Essendon and it could happen because Devon Smith is Cameron’s fishing buddy but the fly in the ointment is Cameron loves it at GWS” fit in?

How does “Joe Daniher could go to Sydney and if he did then Jeremy Cameron could be his ideal replacement at Essendon and it could happen because Devon Smith is Cameron’s fishing buddy but the fly in the ointment is Cameron loves it at GWS” fit in?

This is in a whole different world of Jon Ralph/Jay Clark fantasy that doesn't quite fit the bill. Good evidence of the ever slowly loosening grip of the media blokes on reality, but not yet qualified as a prediction.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
Can you include coaches too ????

IIRC Clarko was first off going to blues, but i can't find a reference for that..

Now David Prestipino is hypothesizing that he's going to Freo

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a quick question. Why does no one like Barrett? Every time I see him on something he comes across as a bit stand offish, a bit opinionated, but he does voice some decent things?

Just curious.

Back