The Brownlow Medal should remove the "fairest" aspect

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick proposed fix.

If it is a 'deliberate' or 'reckless' act that results in suspension, a player is not eligible for the Brownlow.

If it is a 'careless' act that results in suspension, a player is eligible for the Brownlow.

Just because a player is careless, doesn't mean he is not 'fair'.

It is amazing that the medal is 97 years old and this only became a problem 3 hours ago :rolleyes:

To be fair, the rules have gotten a lot harsher in recent years from when the award first commenced.

It is far easier to get suspended now for actions that would have been okay back in the early 1900's.

Assuming Danger gets suspended, it would be amusing if Danger still won, and then had to present the medal to second. Doubt the AFL would let that happen somehow.

Because of this rule, the best player in the competition this year will not be winning the "best" player award.

The fact that a player can become ineligible due to a split second "decision" (if you can call it that) is a joke.
I am assuming you are talking about Fyfe's accidental head clash on Rischitelli which rubbed him out of 2014 when he was clearly the best player that year.

Thanks for the thought but you're a bit late with the post. Hopefully Geelong will be connected to ADSL soon and you will receive the news a bit quicker.

Dusty and Clangerfield have the same number of clangers this year. :)
That's pretty impressive on Danger's part when you consider Dusty has 128 more kicks this year than him.

I mean it's wrong and Dusty has 20 more clangers but still impressive.

It is amazing that the medal is 97 years old and this only became a problem 3 hours ago :rolleyes:
Look I'm no Rocket Science Medalist but I'm fairly sure there's a correlation here.

It's because Australia is torrenting Game of Thrones, right?

I don't see the big deal. The Brownlow is what it is. If Dangerfield had been suspended in Rd 3 then people would be saying 'geez he was good today, will probably poll 3 Brownlow votes - pity he's ineligible' but since he's been suspended in Rd 18 as a hot favourite people want the award changed.

Corey McKernan and Chris Grant missed out, why should Dangerfield be a special case?

There are plenty of other awards that don't disqualify players who have been suspended. People just place a higher emphasis on the Brownlow. Of the current awards that are voted game by game I rate the Coaches Association award the highest.

Just another great suggestion we can add to this thread. Let's disallow kicks after the siren. If you haven't scored within the allotted time period then it's your own fault. It's not fair that the best team at the end of the game could potentially lose because of a score kicked outside the approved game times.

"Player from my team can't win it, time to change the rulez!"

McKernan and Grant lost Brownlows for acts that weren't 'thug acts.'
In today's game they'd be absolutely thug acts though, because you can't breathe on a bloke these days without a Jon Ralph update at half time with 5 different slowed down camera angles, to explain how you're getting 3 weeks on the sidelines for a "reckless" act.

The sport was once revered for it's recklessness, now it's just this watered down version, where everyone must make A1 decisions at all times, despite the speed with which the game is now being played.

Meanwhile, the fans stand and squeal like rabid children for every free kick, every penalty, every suspension....because that's what they saw their team get last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because of this rule, the best player in the competition this year will not be winning the "best" player award.

The fact that a player can become ineligible due to a split second "decision" (if you can call it that) is a joke.
Dusty will still win it. Don't stress so much.

TBH as much as we will all enjoy the fine Geelong melts - Danger is anything but a dirty player. He doesn't go out to intentionally hurt someone, and the tackle was really just an unfortunate accident.

It is harsh that he will likely lose a Brownlow because of it.
That's not the fault of the rules of the medal, its a result of the bizarre way the MRP works on if a player got hurt rather than what the "offending " player actually did. Its the suspensions that's at fault here, not the Brownlow rules.

The Brownlow is the Melbourne cup of awards, it's the one everyone watches, they bet on it and it gets the most media coverage.
The MVP is the Cox Plate, the ultimate award voted by your peers as the best player in the comp.
win the Brownlow for the adulation, win the MVP for total fulfilment of where you sit in the game.

The suspension was fair enough, but I don't think he's a dirty player and if he polls the most on Brownlow night only to be ineligible, I think he's pretty stiff.

But maybe the answer is just to treat the Brownlow as what it is. The best and fairest player, adjudged by the umpires, who we as a footy collective moan about every week.

Put bigger precedence on the Coaches award or the MVP or whatever other award you like.

The Brownlow is the Melbourne cup of awards, it's the one everyone watches, they bet on it and it gets the most media coverage.
The MVP is the Cox Plate, the ultimate award voted by your peers as the best player in the comp.
win the Brownlow for the adulation, win the MVP for total fulfilment of where you sit in the game.
This.

Perfect analogy.

Why change the Brownlow? They just need a sensible tribunal system. They also should get rid of the part where you get longer if you defend yourself (disguised as a discount).

It's a billion dollar industry. I'm sure they can afford a common sense system that encourages the right outcome rather than reduced administration costs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back