The Brownlow Medal should remove the "fairest" aspect

Remove this Banner Ad

The suspension was fair enough, but I don't think he's a dirty player and if he polls the most on Brownlow night only to be ineligible, I think he's pretty stiff.

But maybe the answer is just to treat the Brownlow as what it is. The best and fairest player, adjudged by the umpires, who we as a footy collective moan about every week.

Put bigger precedence on the Coaches award or the MVP or whatever other award you like.

Does make me laugh how everyone holds the brownlow medal so highly when it's clearly a midfield only award and judged by the very people who most supporters despise and say are dumb campaigners

Every single tackle, marking contest and pretty much all aspects of the game their is a chance of someone getting concussion.
How do you solve accidental concussion as in this case?
Don't pin the arms and drive someone head first

Why do people want to change things all the time, the Brownlow is the umpires award. It is the media and the public who have turned it into something it isn't.
The Brownlow is not necessarily an award to crown the best player in the game, it is simply an awa d on who the umpires think played well in the year.
The MVP is the award that gives me s the best player in the league without any dispute.

Every single tackle, marking contest and pretty much all aspects of the game their is a chance of someone getting concussion.
How do you solve accidental concussion as in this case?

Instead of 'don't give anyone concussion, that should be...Don't be responsible for anyone's concussion.

and forget the AFL, legally, if you stop someone's ability to protect themselves, you're responsible for what happens to them. This is just the MRP covering the AFLs ass with OH&S laws across the country.

Instead of 'don't give anyone concussion, that should be...Don't be responsible for anyone's concussion.

and forget the AFL, legally, if you stop someone's ability to protect themselves, you're responsible for what happens to them. This is just the MRP covering the AFLs ass with OH&S laws across the country.

I understand it and agree it's just ass covering but what happened to you the person choosing to participate in a sport or activity that you could get hurt in?

This thread wouldn't exist for just about any other player.

Brownlow is an overrated award anyway.

It would exist for any player in contention for the award. If Martin had been rubbed out a couple of weeks back, there would have been be a similar thread, probably opened by a Richmond fan.

That some peoples sides on the topic would have changed is their problem to resolve in the hearts/minds, but that such a thread exists is inevitable given the situation, it's not due to the player.

I understand it and agree it's just ass covering but what happened to you the person choosing to participate in a sport or activity that you could get hurt in?

Understood, but the league still needs to take 'reasonable steps' to reduce risks.

I'm sure the lawyers had long discussions about where they could draw the line while still staying 'safe' in all jurisdictions.

I'd rather things were more relaxed on the field, and stuff like this got through, but I think the problem is more with the laws than with the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does make me laugh how everyone holds the brownlow medal so highly when it's clearly a midfield only award and judged by the very people who most supporters despise and say are dumb campaigners
Right. I mean it's no knock on the honour roll - I'm sure there was a time when the umpires probably were in the best position to make the call.

It's a different game now though, whilst it has its' place in tradition, we can do better in terms of finding the best player.

Understood, but the league still needs to take 'reasonable steps' to reduce risks.

I'm sure the lawyers had long discussions about where they could draw the line while still staying 'safe' in all jurisdictions.

I'd rather things were more relaxed on the field, and stuff like this got through, but I think the problem is more with the laws than than the AFL.

Agree

Good but fair. Not just good. I don't think its unreasonable to expect the best player to also be a fair player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back