Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials * Justice Lee - "Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins."

How long will the jury be out for?

• Back the same afternoon

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • One day

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Two days

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Three to five days

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Over a week

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Last edited:
' ''Mr Lehrmann revealed for the first time that when he tried to get legal assistance for his defence, Legal Aid ACT insisted it would not allow Ms Higgins to be challenged in court as a liar, but simply “perhaps mistaken about versions of events”.

With the history of the case, Reynold's compensation payment to Higgins for calling her a 'lying cow' and Morrison's input, that was the safest, best defence strategy.

You also can't just demand hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of legal aid in a criminal matter with the expectation that you can use that on any lawyer you want.

With the history of the case, Reynold's compensation payment to Higgins for calling her a 'lying cow' and Morrison's input, that was the safest, best defence strategy.

You also can't just demand hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of legal aid in a criminal matter with the expectation that you can use that on any lawyer you want.

That is your comment on my post - sad really.
That the legal profession provides pro bono services in a case such as this is a credit for the profession.

That is your comment on my post - sad really.
That the legal profession provides pro bono services in a case such as this is a credit for the profession.

Unfortunately Legal Aid ACT is not in Mr Sofronoffs remit

That's what you posted, you're sad that Legal Aid won't be examined.

That the legal profession provides pro bono services in a case such as this is a credit for the profession

BS. More sad for you, Whybrow took it on for the publicity which is clearly worth more for future business.

Hardly anybody knew of him before this case.

That's what you posted, you're the one who seems to be sad that Legal Aid won't be examined.

BS. More sad for you, Whybrow took it on for the publicity which is clearly worth more for future business.

Not media shy in the past either.

'Busy families choose to go au pair shaped

By MATTHEW DENHOLM
UPDATED 6:46AM SEPTEMBER 15, 2018, FIRST PUBLISHED AT 12:00AM SEPTEMBER 15, 2018'

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.40.47 pm.png

Political debate over whether Peter Dutton helped a mate in allowing au pairs into the country has obscured a far more significant phenomenon: the rapid growth in the number of Australians using au pairs to keep their families functional.
Canberra couple Kate Corkery and Steve Whybrow have used German au pairs for five years for their sons while they both worked full time. This was not just because it was an affordable option, compared with childcare, but also for the “stability and continuity” of care and cultural benefits.

“Having our youngest two children in childcare at $125 a day for five days would be absolutely cost prohibitive,” Ms Corkery said yesterday during their holiday to Smiggin Holes in the NSW skifields with sons Lachlan and Max and au pair Lisa Sewenig.

“To have to pay a babysitter on top of childcare to support us after hours and on weekends would be an unmitigated disaster.

“Our boys have been so happy … There isn’t the sort of stress and chaos you have in most houses in the morning where everyone has to be up, fed, showered, dressed and out of the door in time.

“The boys have been able to establish a unique and wonderful friendship with each of our au pairs … and now speak and understand German.”

The couple has kept in touch with their former au pairs, visiting them in Germany and having their relatives to stay.

“Now we’ve had our first au pair grandchild – one of our girls has had her first child,” Ms Corkery said. “They really do become a part of the family. That creates a degree of engagement, loyalty and love that you just can’t put a price on.”

...'

Last edited:
That's what you posted, you're sad that Legal Aid won't be examined.

Publicity perhaps as well as the prospect that if the client was not found guilty, then there would follow some lucrative defamation cases. Maybe the actions of the DPP and ACT Legal aid (assuming he was aware of these prior to accepting the case) was also an incentive.

Whybrow took it on for the publicity which is clearly worth more for future business.

Whybrow's behaviour in codling up to the Australian Newspaper and SkyNews reporter and journo Janet Albrechtsen (the same organisation and journalist that leaked confidential AFP information in relation to the alleged rape victim) makes it pretty clear where he sees his future business prospects.

His populist public comments this week about the "#MeToo movement metastasising into #BelieveAllWomen" is not just bizarre but wong in fact and downright offensive given the low number of sexual assault allegations that actually end up in police laying charges, let alone ending up in court.

As outlined in numerous research studies and the National Plan to Reduce Violence against women and their Children, the fact is that up until very recently, sexual assault was one of the most unreported crimes in Australia with most victims unwilling to report crimes because of a fear of being unbelieved and a mistrust of the police and legal systems.

Whybrow's comments go far beyond his role as Lehrmann's defence barrister in a criminal trial but are a politically motivated attack that strike at the very heart of recent measures taken to improve safety and outcomes for (mostly) female victims of sexual assault - at home, on the streets, in public places and in the workplace.

Last edited:
Wasn't he sacked just after the security breach? Was he working afterwards?
He had that sweet British American Tobacco gig (stay classy, Leerman) for a while after and some other roles I seem to recall, including shitkicking at his mate's dad's winery. Guess I figured he would have saved a bundle while working. But I don't snort $$$ up my nose like an idiot.

He had that sweet British American Tobacco gig (stay classy, Leerman) for a while after and some other roles I seem to recall, including shitkicking at his mate's dad's winery. Guess I figured he would have saved a bundle while working. But I don't snort $$$ up my nose like an idiot.
Young people eh? ;)

'Superintendent Moller, who has been a police officer for more than 30 years, is expected to give evidence to the inquiry on Monday. Led by Walter Sofronoff KC, the inquiry is also examining the conduct of police and Ms Yates, who became a highly visible presence during the trial, often seen accompanying Ms Higgins to court. Earlier in the case, Ms Higgins had asked for any contact by police to be made through Ms Yates, a move that Superintendent Moller says caused serious problems for investigators.'

ACT A/G Shane Rattenbury is in for tough day with Sofronoff KC further examining the dysfunction in the ACT legal institutions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Whybrow in here undercover as Cotchins Hair Piece?

Perhaps both saw the Four Corners re stage of the event.

'Mr Drumgold claimed CCTV footage showed Ms Higgins and Mr Lehrmann arriving at Parliament House on the night of her alleged rape. The police were certain the video never existed, but Mr Drumgold was insistent he had personally watched it on a USB drive provided by police but then returned to them.'

'Superintendent Moller, however, said it appeared that Mr Drumgold “had confused footage from a Four Corners release where they developed a recreation of the event with the investigators recovered CCTV footage”.'

Perhaps both saw the Four Corners re stage of the event.

'Mr Drumgold claimed CCTV footage showed Ms Higgins and Mr Lehrmann arriving at Parliament House on the night of her alleged rape. The police were certain the video never existed, but Mr Drumgold was insistent he had personally watched it on a USB drive provided by police but then returned to them.'

'Superintendent Moller, however, said it appeared that Mr Drumgold “had confused footage from a Four Corners release where they developed a recreation of the event with the investigators recovered CCTV footage”.'

Oh dear :think:

There is a ban in this thread on posting laughing emojis for anything other than something that is actually meant to be funny.

So let me be quite explicit - I find this comment breathtakingly ludicrous in the context of the overwhelming support that has been provided to Bruce Lehrmann in relation not just to his silk legal defence for his criminal trial but for his multiple subsequent defamation actions.

Especially given that Lehrmann's Defence Barrister has now joined forces with Murdoch's lead national tabloid for exclusive opinionated commentary on the Lehrmann trial, including on that paper's YouTube channel, during an Independent Inquiry into legal issues associated with the original criminal trial. This includes a bizarre attack on the 'me too' movement and claims that legal rights afforded to women with respect to sexual assault claims have gone too far.

And a reminder that it was the Australian Newspaper that first published leaked confidential personal information in relation to the alleged rape victim of Mr Lehrmann. Information that was used as front page attacks by NewsCorp tabloid papers and websites for the sole purpose of discrediting the reputation and credibility of that alleged victim.

'A credit to the profession'. 🤣

Hard to argue with much of this IMO, except that "the pendulum has swung":

Sex crime trials are still HEAVILY biased in favour of the defendant but I don't know what can be done other than judge-only, and that's not going to fully redress the imbalance.

Last edited:
'Superintendent Moller, who has been a police officer for more than 30 years, is expected to give evidence to the inquiry on Monday. Led by Walter Sofronoff KC, the inquiry is also examining the conduct of police and Ms Yates, who became a highly visible presence during the trial, often seen accompanying Ms Higgins to court. Earlier in the case, Ms Higgins had asked for any contact by police to be made through Ms Yates, a move that Superintendent Moller says caused serious problems for investigators.'

ACT A/G Shane Rattenbury is in for tough day with Sofronoff KC further examining the dysfunction in the ACT legal institutions.

Given I've actually been watching and won't be relying on The Australian for my information, Moller's got himself in to a bit of a twist flip flopping about all over the place and suggests unusual pressures as they were short on staff due to the stress of the case, or a revolt, with officers calling in sick yet agreeing that the charges were themselves reasonable and that the statutory test to proceed was satisfied.

To suggest the case was so stressful for so many to be responsible for staff shortages, seems irrational, perhaps some sort of mass hysteria was infecting the ranks.

won't be relying on The Australian for my information,

No escaping it in this thread sadly. Cut and paste slabs posted regularly. Added to that is the fact that the Australian newspaper has posted more stories and published more lines on the whole Lehrmann-Higgins issue than other media outlets put together. There is no escaping their huge focus and coverage.

There is no doubt that they and Albrechtsen are pushing hard on an agenda and a narrative that suits its main subscriber base. Others just need to use some basic critical thinking skills to sort out the wheat from the chaff, even if that means blocking out every second adjective used in their articles.

Speaking of which...

Mr Sofronoff issued a ‘please explain’ to The Australian newspaper over the publication of a photograph of the Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold enjoying a beer in his driveway.

“On the 19th of May, The Australian newspaper published a photograph of Mr Drumgold. He was at home in relaxed clothing, in apparent privacy having a beer and someone took a photograph of him without his knowledge, and then published the photo with an ironic caption “Crown Lager or Drumgold Bitter – Prosecutor calls beer o’clock,’’ Mr Sofronoff said.

“I’m stumped, trying to think of a proper purpose for doing this. Hiding to take a photo of a man who thinks he’s enjoying privacy and then publishing the photo with a put down. But my real worry is that the witnesses who have been willing to help me will think that this is part of the price of being stopped at their home, photographed, taken unawares, being made fun of in the national media.”

Mr Sofronoff said his concern was if that was the “personal cost, why would anybody willingly be a part of this?”

“This kind of publication risks interfering with the course of my inquiry, it risks interfering with my ability to fulfil my statutory duty,’’ he said.

“On the other hand, if the publication of a photo of this kind serves a proper purpose, then we all have to live with its consequences. Some people, as I say, they’re going to get hurt by this inquiry and in an unavoidable way.

“With these thoughts in mind, I’ve written to the editor of The Australian today, seeking her help to understand the purpose, which the photo was used for, and I’ll consider my course when I get a response.”

Gutter stuff from The Australian. Again.

Last edited:

Of course there's going to be CCTV showing Higgins and Lehrmann arriving at Parliament House, there would be cameras everywhere covering all the roads going in and out, the entire front and back would be covered and every inch of grass.

Besides, Cotchins Hair Piece reckons even he's seen it. Maybe he shouldn't have said that.

Of course there's going to be CCTV showing Higgins and Lehrmann arriving at Parliament House, there would be cameras everywhere covering all the roads going in and out, the entire front and back would be covered and every inch of grass.

Besides, Cotchins Hair Piece reckons even he's seen it. Maybe he shouldn't have said that.
A reminder of the specifics of CHPs claim. They are quite detailed.

screenshot-2023-05-10-at-2-18-50-pm-png.1683554

CHPs claims also made reference to AFP orders to access Ms Higgin's phone - claims subsequently proved correct in police notes released to the current Inquiry.

Is Moller seriously claiming that no CCTV of the pair's entrance to Parliament House existed? Or that AFP did not access that footage as part of their inquiry? I mean that is just frikkin' bizarre if true.

So there you have it above, Lehrmann and Higgins engaged in a level of intimacy described as 'pashing' through the evening and which was corroborated by independent witness.

Lehrmann claiming he had zero contact with Higgins after they entered Reynolds offices simply doesn't ring as true. Enough for a conviction? I don't know, I'm just saying it isn't believable imo.

A reminder of the specifics of CHPs claim. They are quite detailed.

screenshot-2023-05-10-at-2-18-50-pm-png.1683554

CHPs claims also made reference to AFP orders to access Ms Higgin's phone - claims subsequently proved correct in police notes released to the current Inquiry.

Is Moller seriously claiming that no CCTV of the pair's entrance to Parliament House existed? Or that AFP did not access that footage as part of their inquiry? I mean that is just frikkin' bizarre if true.

Mollers statements are on the record, as are Drumgolds. Surely these conflicting statements will be interrogated by Ms Longbottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back