List Mgmt. The Bryce Gibbs trade has set our club back 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

How about making the AA 40 man squad?

All 3 of those made the 40 man squads.

Gibbs? nope.

He made the 40 man squad in 2014. Which incidentally was a contract year for him. Went back to water the following season and never started playing well again until Adelaide commenced their campaign to poach him. He always managed to find some form when contract negotiations were happening

Wow. I am staggered at the level of disrespect this board gives to 2 ex-captains of the Club who have served the club with distinction.
Over 400 games for the Club between them since 2009 (including 2 Club B&F) and both will end their careers as one-team players for AFC. We haven't had too many of them so they should be applauded just for that fact!
Both will be Life members and both have been and continue to be great ambassadors for the club through the good times and bad.
They have both served the club with honour and dignity and IMO both deserve to go out on their own terms. They have both earned that!
You wouldn't find supporters of other clubs treating their ex-captains and champions with such disrespect. It is positively shameful that this club has reached the level.
No wonder the AFC is continually questioned about its toxic culture if its own supporters treat Club legends like this in the twilight of their careers. Maybe Bunjii is right after all?

Twilight of their careers?

If they played like this at any of the quality clubs in the competition their careers would have already been over.

Tex would have been given a talking to last season and told to retire and Sloane would have had that conversation had with him this year.

We are the ONLY club that think its 'loyalty' to allow players to continue playing well past their used by date and we do it over and over again.

Look at what the Hawks did with Roughead.

The year after the first failed trade, he played a blinder against us. 30disp, 2 goals, 15 tackles! 160 ranking points. Every Crows supporter would have watched that game and said...yeah hes the cream on top which we need. Made the GF and thought getting Bryce could help in another assault.

Who was to know the shitshow our club would quickly turn into. Bryce also came across with his own issues and didnt hold up his end of a very expensive deal (in terms of picks, not so much salary).

Hindsight is great but it very easily could have gone another way.

Edit: Some more of his games in 2017 that would have influenced our decision to get him....

R17: 32 disp 1 goal
R13: 43 disp 2 goals
R10: 38 disp 3 goals
R9: 34 disp 1 goal
R3: 35 disp

A goal kicking mid, something we really would have liked after the failed GF

No hindsight required.

You want me to go quote some of my posts on Gibbs from the 2016/2017 periods?

Also he racked up those disposals in 2017 but they weren't particularly damaging and a lot of those goals were cheap shots/gifts rather than a real contribution.

Wow. I am staggered at the level of disrespect this board gives to 2 ex-captains of the Club who have served the club with distinction.
Over 400 games for the Club between them since 2009 (including 2 Club B&F) and both will end their careers as one-team players for AFC. We haven't had too many of them so they should be applauded just for that fact!
Both will be Life members and both have been and continue to be great ambassadors for the club through the good times and bad.
They have both served the club with honour and dignity and IMO both deserve to go out on their own terms. They have both earned that!
You wouldn't find supporters of other clubs treating their ex-captains and champions with such disrespect. It is positively shameful that this club has reached the level.
No wonder the AFC is continually questioned about its toxic culture if its own supporters treat Club legends like this in the twilight of their careers. Maybe Bunjii is right after all?
Legends, that's a laugh. Supporters like you are why the club is s**t. Using a real club legend in Bunji (who called out the club for its incompetence) and using it to try and justify your wrong opinion is the only shameful part. The only toxic part of the club is the incompetent fools running it combined with apologists like you that lap it up.

Reid was his manager and family friend.

Fagan wanted him, but for his ability. And PR.

That article is just a PR puff piece. Who knows if that is the truth snd just Reid saying it, and Fagan not complaining as it makes him look good. At that time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fagan was quoted as saying he instructed them to get the job done. Reid isn't quoted in the bit I posted.

The year after the first failed trade, he played a blinder against us. 30disp, 2 goals, 15 tackles! 160 ranking points. Every Crows supporter would have watched that game and said...yeah hes the cream on top which we need. Made the GF and thought getting Bryce could help in another assault.

Who was to know the shitshow our club would quickly turn into. Bryce also came across with his own issues and didnt hold up his end of a very expensive deal (in terms of picks, not so much salary).

Edit: Some more of his games in 2017 that would have influenced our decision to get him....

Beware the perennial cruiser with a history of great years at contact time. Kangaroos are feeling the pain as we speak.

Nice try, but Bunji's issue is with admin.

Last edited:

100% right, midfielders that can get you 30+ possessions and kick multiple goals are rare, I was never Gibbs biggest fan, but he did have the ability to have monster games, remember him ripping J Selwood to pieces with 30+ and 4 goals twice, consistency was always Bryce’s issue, but no doubting he’s best games are absolutely elite level football, he could win the footy, get clearances, kick goals from outside 50, snap them around corners, it’s not hard to see what the crows were thinking, in theory it should of worked.

Last edited:
I saw most of the games Gibbs played around then. My best mate was a Blues member who got visitors passes.

He clearly had a lot of talent, which masked his laziness.

The bully arguing black is blue was living in Adelaide....clearly saw heaps of him in a Carlton jumper.....but yeah....they just 'give away' the Carlton B&F..😆🙄🙄🙄

2014 was a great year for him, contract year that culminated in a b&f and making the 40 man AA squad. But Gibbs was always a cruiser and never worked as hard outside of contract years. I was happy to get him after the 2017 GF after being against it the year before. We had enough inside grunt, so it's not like he'd need to win his own ball. Given we had a strong draft hand I wasn't unhappy with the price, having assumed we'd be near the top again. We had a crack, it turned to s**t, but ce la vie. But there's no need to rewrite history, it is what it is.

Ok so I took a look at the Carlton best and fairest.

Want to know who won it the year before Gibbs? Kade Simpson.

Truly this is an award only given to the truly great players of our competition.

Honestly it competes with the Brownlow for the esteem it must be held in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it you've forgotten what Board you're on hero?.....now piss off.

Don't engage with him. It's a certain Port supporter who got banned the other day.

It's like being named emergency right? It doesn't actually mean anything. It's really just an honorable mentions type of thing.

I thought it was the shortlist that they then picked the AA squad from?

So it's like being runner up I guess?

This is just downright embarrassing, obviously your football knowledge could be inscribed on the shell of a peanut. Perhaps you should tell all clubs that their b&F should be based on talent only.......

So your argument is that Gibbs is a good football player because he won a best and fairest.

Then you're also arguing that the best and fairest isn't purely a judge of who is a good football player?

Now can you connect the dots on why this is a contradiction all by yourself like a big boy or does it need to be spelled out for you like everything else?

So your argument is that Gibbs is a good football player because he won a best and fairest.

Then you're also arguing that the best and fairest isn't purely a judge of who is a good football player?

Now can you connect the dots on why this is a contradiction all by yourself like a big boy or does it need to be spelled out for you like everything else?
I actually like his thinking. Now when Keays or O’Brien wins our best and fairest this year, we can claim they are elite talents and trade them for two first rounders. Winning!

This is way over the top re Rory.

He bleeds on the field for the club and I applauded the deal we gave him at the time as he could have got heaps more to go home to Vic. He is a true AFC club-man and a worthy captain and to say otherwise is rubbish. He still has heaps to offer the club in leadership during the rebuild and he should be encouraged in this task and not cut down by supporters.

To suggest that a captain of this club doesn't care about his on-field performances is way out of bounds and simply disrespectful and wrong. Hell even VB thought that way during his captaincy.

As regards Taylor he is also an ex-captain of the club who has bled for the club both on and off field. The level of disrespect currently being shown to him by so called experts and supporters is woeful. He will become a life member of the club this weekend and will most likely retire as our leading goal-kicker.

To suggest Taylor doesn't care is also disrespectful and plain rubbish as well.
Almost everyone loves Sloaney but i rekn if it wasn't for the uncertainty over his foot issue at the time HE was dragging his feet with signing on with us he might very well have gone.
Instead his signed long term on big bucks and that's fine, but with that comes very high expectations rebuild or not.

100% right, midfielders that can get you 30+ possessions and kick multiple goals are rare, I was never Gibbs biggest fan, but he did have the ability to have monster games, remember him ripping J Selwood to pieces with 30+ and 4 goals twice, consistency was always Bryce’s issue, but no doubting he’s best games are absolutely elite level football, he could win the footy, get clearances, kick goals from outside 50, snap them around corners, it’s not hard to see what the crows were thinking, in theory it should of worked.

Did they have in game multi back then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back