List Mgmt. The Bryce Gibbs trade has set our club back 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

LoB isn't developing as nicely as Carlton supporter are hoping (but it was consider a weak draft compared to other years any-way). Both Gibbs and LoB might be delisted in 2 years time....how ironic would that be as this is what we actually end up giving for him as we got an equivalent 1st rounder back from them in a strong draft for pick 16 in a same weak draft. If that was Reid's plan, he is a genius.....but I think he got very lucky with Carlton finishing last.
2017 a weak draft? I don't know where you get your info but the 2017 draft wasn't considered weak at all, and the players selected in that draft are largely acquitting themselves very, very well. Jaidyn Stephenson,Aaron Naughton, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, James Worpel, Cam Rayner, Hunter Clark, Darcy Fogarty and Tom McCartin shape like future A graders and even players like Jack Higgins, Ed Richards, Luke Davies-Unakie, Zac Bailey, Oscar Allen, Paddy Dow, Charlie Ballard and Gryan Miers etc are looking a chance to elevate. That's without bringing mature agers Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan and Bayley Fritsch selected in that draft into discussions.

Lochie O'Brien was always seen as being a very outside player with ?? over the contested side of his game.

2017 a weak draft? I don't know where you get your info but the 2017 draft wasn't considered weak at all, and the players selected in that draft are largely acquitting themselves very, very well. Jaidyn Stephenson,Aaron Naughton, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, James Worpel, Cam Rayner, Hunter Clark, Darcy Fogarty and Tom McCartin shape like future A graders and even players like Jack Higgins, Ed Richards, Luke Davies-Unakie, Zac Bailey, Oscar Allen, Paddy Dow, Charlie Ballard and Gryan Miers etc are looking a chance to elevate. That's without bringing mature agers Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan and Bayley Fritsch selected in that draft into discussions.

Lochie O'Brien was always seen as being a very outside player with ?? over the contested side of his game.
I said comparable to the 2018 draft, hence, pick 21 is more preferable to pick 16 and expert/recruiter mentioned that draft was weak compared to other years, especially the following year's draft.

We didn't win much games in the 1st half of last year (which is a big factor in the Brownlow votes) but he was leading our B&F at that time (from memory).
We started 6-3 last year and we finished with 12 wins, so that first bit is just not true.

We overpaid, without doubt...

But nobody could've expected Burton to absolutely ******* destroy our 2018 season.

Melbourne fans claims shortened preseason along with player attitude caused this years failure.

None of them say its because of Goodwins history with Stephen dank.

When you break it down though, Lever went out and Doedee came in who really meant we didn't miss a beat and almost improved as crazy as that sounds. McGovern was still on the last season too, just struggling to get out on the park.

So really, it was only Cameron who was a loss last year and when you think back to 2017, there was a fair bit of frustration with what he was delivering at the time (although I think we now see how important his pressure was) before he stepped up in the finals. So even with the loss of Cameron, there's no way that's the difference between coming 1st in the H&A season to missing the 8 completely the following year.

Our free flowing football which was so great to watch in 2017 stopped and the slow play and kicking it into a crowded forward line with McGovern being the only one who thrives in those kind of conditions was always going to be a decline. The camp etc etc all took it's toll more than the loss of those individuals imo.
I think it’s a combination of everything that has caused a decline. You can argue that with the loss of certain individuals, our gamestyle has to change.
Particularly losing Cameron and McGov. Effectively we lost elite speed/pressure/pack marking overall up forward. Subsequently, we’ve become a bland and predictable forward line, and teams can easily put defensive zones against us.

We’ve tried Jones, Murphy, Gooch, and Milera as somewhat replacements. But there is still that missing elite speed that can run around a team’s defence, and none of the guys this year have shown any consistent pack marking ability, so opposition defenders aren’t worried/scared about someone jumping over their backs/heads.

Look at the picks 10-20 in the 2017 draft.. nothing that exciting yet.. Tim Kelly went after 20 but he was always going back to WA and Liam Ryan also went after 20.
If we didnt trade him in we would have had

Use 10 on Fogarty, wonder who we would have selected at 12 & 16...

1) I’ve said it before, no one could predict his form would dive this badly this quickly.
2) Then there’s his off field woes.
1) this is key, isn't it? With Crouch Bros, Sloane & Gibbs, it looked like a potent midfield, didn't it?
It's not.
2) So, allegedly he has a gambling problem. How could this possibly not have been known to the Crows before the deal was done?
After he refused to come here when he was a Free Agent, the Crows should have told him to foff. 2 years later, it was a bad deal, maybe not the worst, but right up there.

Sorry what a crap suggestion .
Sure been a failure though in our best 5 last year but like posted previously who would have we got and really how well done in last 3 drafts with our picks.
I personally think he could stabilise himself and apply himselflf from off season and have good year next year.
How can you state the Gibbs trade anywhere near the massive disaster appointment and promotion of Burton to one of top 3 jobs in any club where he has made stuff ups in all areas,
Injury management
Camp.
Fitness levels
Recruiting and trading
Ass. coaching appointments etc

1) this is key, isn't it? With Crouch Bros, Sloane & Gibbs, it looked like a potent midfield, didn't it?
It's not.
2) So, allegedly he has a gambling problem. How could this possibly not have been known to the Crows before the deal was done?
After he refused to come here when he was a Free Agent, the Crows should have told him to foff. 2 years later, it was a bad deal, maybe not the worst, but right up there.

From an outsider the Crouch bros are about as impotent as good players get. Especially Matt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not.

Agree completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the picks 10-20 in the 2017 draft.. nothing that exciting yet.. Tim Kelly went after 20 but he was always going back to WA and Liam Ryan also went after 20.
If we didnt trade him in we would have had

Use 10 on Fogarty, wonder who we would have selected at 12 & 16...
It's very hard to judge Kelly as he was drafted as a 22-23 year old but I agree, hence the draft experts mentioned that was a weak draft.

As someone who's seen a lot of Gibbs, I can tell you he's a shadow of the player he was.

And I'm pretty sure age has nothing to do with it.

Something is very wrong. I've heard the off field rumors about him, but this looks deeper than that.

He's clearly not enjoying his football for some reason.

He's not the only one that looks shot for you blokes either. There just looks like there is a player morale problem lurking under it all.

I said prior to the trade and the attempted trade the year before, we should have put a permanent red line through his name when he chose to stay at Carlton when a FA. That was the only time he was worth getting. Was always just a B grader.

As someone who's seen a lot of Gibbs, I can tell you he's a shadow of the player he was.

Something is very wrong. I've heard the off field rumors about him, but this looks deeper than that.

He's not the only one that looks shot for you blokes either. There just looks like there is a player morale problem lurking under it all.

#6 the curse.......

We shouldn't have bought damaged goods from s**t club like Carlton.

I was pretty sure that gibbs was going to take his career to the next level at the crows. Pretty different environment in terms of success and experience coming from the Blues to Adelaide at the time he was traded. If he'd done that and you got close to another flag than it'd be a completely different discussion. I don't think Justin Reid and the powers that be were far off the mark with the trade had it all worked out. Maybe a bit out, but again, had all the pieces fallen into place than it's a genius move. Can imagine Gibbs with a Norm Smith and/or GF medal? You win some, you lose some. We had Warnock ahead of Jacobs and let him go along with Eddie. A fairly glaring error in judgement in hindsight. Eddie so so (and it's been great watching him to be honest) for me but Jacobs was a bad one. Where's Warnock right now?

As for the curse Graham Cornes brought it up on 5AA and begged Bryce to not take the number 6 jumper when the trade was done. Seemed a bit odd at the time but old 'stud' was convinced it was a bad choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back