List Mgmt. The Bryce Gibbs trade has set our club back 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably be quite hard to keep it from your family.
I'd suspect it's something that wouldn't be noticed by workmates for quite a long time though.
Nah, when you’re that far gone you hit up anyone you know for cash.

Hard to figure the Gibbs outplay. As with other posters from seasons past I always thought Gibbs was a 'cruiser' with almost no defensive or turf covering work rate. Was he looking to just comfortably run out/down his last few years in coming back to SA and the Crows ? Or did he fall foul of Pyke etc and lose interest in the game? Either way he has been a huge loss and part of the hanging on to past-it players (eg Thommo) while trying to squeeze thru the premiership window syndrome.

Nope.

I understand the philosophy of what a “sunk cost” is, however, I feel you have a very different interpretation of what it actually means. Clubs can recover costs and assets lost on player trades by using free agency and gaining greater picks in player movement, so you have an incorrect interpretation on what a sunk cost actually is.

Now, play nicely as I wasn’t a jerk to you buy your response right now was a jerk move.

The whole Gibbs issue revolves around our management not doing all the background checks required. They had 2 seasons tto get it right.
Justin Reid was his manager.

Our club knew what they were getting. Probably thought getting him "home" would help him.

Got to remember the Gibbs family are part of the wider SA football family and we got their (our) son home.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs can recover costs and assets lost on player trades by using free agency and gaining greater picks in player movement

Can you please apply the quoted to the Gibbs situation.

How do we recover costs and assets via free agency and lost on Gibbs as you put it? We can't get the picks back unless another club is willing to take him which is highly unlikely. As I previously mentioned we can offer to pay out his contract at a reduced rate and he no longer has to play. That's the only thing we can salvage from this scenario.

Justin Reid was his manager.

Our club knew what they were getting. Probably thought getting him "home" would help him.

Got to remember the Gibbs family are part of the wider SA football family and we got their (our) son home.

I don’t think it’s a certainty his manager would know. I know 2 husbands that had no idea that their partners had racked up tens of thousand dollar debts from pokies.

I don’t think it’s a certainty his manager would know. I know 2 husbands that had no idea that their partners had racked up tens of thousand dollar debts from pokies.
Whenever an AFL.footballer gets into trouble the first person they tell is their manager. To fix it.

Reid did.

Most of them are essentially man sized babies without any real life skills as their managers and the club help them a lot. Look at how the Essendon players blindly followed their club advice.

Reid probably more likely to know than his wife....

Can you please apply the quoted to the Gibbs situation.

How do we recover costs and assets via free agency and lost on Gibbs as you put it? We can't get the picks back unless another club is willing to take him which is highly unlikely. As I previously mentioned we can offer to pay out his contract at a reduced rate and he no longer has to play. That's the only thing we can salvage from this scenario.

If you are going to apply marketing terms, you must look at the players as a product you buy and sell.

Then you look at your P&L statement. What you lose in one transaction, you gain more back in a different transaction. Look at the playing group holistically, instead of individually. As long as you end up with a greater producers surplus, your sunk costs disappear.

Whenever an AFL.footballer gets into trouble the first person they tell is their manager. To fix it.

Reid did.

Most of them are essentially man sized babies without any real life skills as their managers and the club help them a lot. Look at how the Essendon players blindly followed their club advice.

Reid probably more likely to know than his wife....

If Reid knew and that knowledge influenced our decision to get him so his old client could earn an extra few hundred gorillas then I’d want Reid in leg irons.

If you are going to apply marketing terms, you must look at the players as a product you buy and sell.

Is it not more of an economic term rather than a marketing term?

Then you look at your P&L statement. What you lose in one transaction, you gain more back in a different transaction. Look at the playing group holistically, instead of individually. As long as you end up with a greater producers surplus, your sunk costs disappear.

Can you please apply this directly to the Gibbs situation? If we lost the Gibbs transaction what did we gain back in a different transaction?

The picks we gave up and salary cap space were not reflective of services received. We paid a very high price and are reluctant to move on from the situation (force a trade or force him to take a payout) hence the use of the sunk cost fallacy term.

Is it not more of an economic term rather than a marketing term?

Can you please apply this directly to the Gibbs situation? If we lost the Gibbs transaction what did we gain back in a different transaction?

The picks we gave up and salary cap space were not reflective of services received. We paid a very high price and are reluctant to move on from the situation (force a trade or force him to take a payout) hence the use of the sunk cost fallacy term.

Look at the deals holistically, not individually.

Let's see we're down a couple of first rounders a chunk of coin and have an ageing 30 year old with a s**t tonne of baggage that can't break into the firsts.

That about sum it up?

Yet you only single the Bryce Gibbs deal out.

Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back