List Mgmt. The Bryce Gibbs trade has set our club back 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

No I'm sorry, that's bullshit. It was never worth the risk at the time.

He was always a mediocre player who never showed any indication of being able to be elite.

I challenge people now to go back and watch his Carlton games and really assess him. I think now the rose tinted glasses have come off for many of you, you'll see a lot of similarities between his Carlton and Crows performances (only difference is the players around him at Carlton are worse, making it easier for him to stand out)

He’s a solid b grader that can throw in the odd A grade game. We thought we were close to a flag and he’d have been the only ready made player of b grade or higher willing to come across. If we win a flag with him having a good season they look good. Deal didn’t look too bad half way through 2018, overpriced, but not outrageously so. It looks worse now because Burton and Pyke shat our bed for us and Bryce has turned from B grader to spud. And worse, Nicksy (cringe every time I read/hear that word) loves how he’s going.

I accept it’s been a monumental fail but I don’t accept it wasn’t worth the punt at the time. And I argued strongly against paying the price in 2016.

He’s a solid b grader that can throw in the odd A grade game. We thought we were close to a flag and he’d have been the only ready made player of b grade or higher willing to come across. If we win a flag with him having a good season they look good. Deal didn’t look too bad half way through 2018, overpriced, but not outrageously so. It looks worse now because Burton and Pyke shat our bed for us and Bryce has turned from B grader to spud. And worse, Nicksy (cringe every time I read/hear that word) loves how he’s going.

I accept it’s been a monumental fail but I don’t accept it wasn’t worth the punt at the time. And I argued strongly against paying the price in 2016.

If we wanted a solid B grade player we should have kept Lyons. Would have cost us half the salary cap and no draft picks.

If we wanted a solid B grade player we should have kept Lyons. Would have cost us half the salary cap and no draft picks.

Agree, but the coaches rated Lyons as a C- fringe player. That’s why they’re gone, never to again reach the levels we elevated them to. They’re proven failures at the caper.

Gibbs would not have been the difference in that grand final, not even close.

If anything we would have performed worse.

Why are people still under this delusion that Gibbs is a good football player when we've seen so much evidence he isn't.

Gibbs was always a laconic player that never took the next step at Carlton, he always seemed to float around in 2nd gear looking for cheap possessions.

I was hoping that we were going to see a better version of Gibbs in our system, but he's been a bust.

I've been critical of the trade from the moment it happened. We paid more for Gibbs than we received for Dangerfield, that's how much we were bent over by Carlton.

In the end I think we pulled the trigger on the deal as a PR exercise.

After the fall out from the grand final and what happened with Jake Lever, I think the club was desperate for some positive PR so they were willing to overpay for Gibbs so they had something to sell to the members to numb the pain.

Last edited:
Gibbs was always a laconic player that never took the next step at Carlton, he always seemed to float around in 2nd gear looking for cheap possessions.

I was hoping that we were going to see better version of Gibbs in our system, but he's been a bust.

I've been critical of the trade from the moment it happened. We paid more for Gibbs than we received for Dangerfield, that's how much we were bent over by Carlton.

After the fall out from the grand final and what happened with Jake Lever, I think the club was desperate for some positive PR so they were willing to overpay for Gibbs so they had something to sell to the members to numb the pain.

So we allowed CC to go with 1 years on his contract. Perhaps a bit of the Gibbs money may have come in useful as well as saving 2 draft picks.
I never liked the Gibbs move more so with his age and our aging group at the time.

I was hoping that we were going to see better version of Gibbs in our system, but he's been a bust.

Gibbs a classic 'boom year when negotiating a contract' player. 2016 and 2017 were 2 of his better years when planning to exit the back ended portion of his Carlton contract in favour of the circa $600k/year that we would have been offering. Anyone who thinks he came to us for any other reason than money has rocks in their head.

The trade for Gibbs has been such a failure that it has set us back five years.
Loosing two first rounders for him (and dont try and claim pick 16 was just a down grade because we did a trade of 2nds which meant we up graded our second rounder, but gave away two firsts) now is going to be very difficult to make up.
Gibbs is now a c grader at best and is still signed up for another two years on a large wage.
The year before Reid came out and said it would be irresponsible for the club to do the trade for Gibbs for two first rounders, which was actually less than we paid the following year.
So for Reid to do a trade that he himself said was irresponsible, a full year later, is unacceptable.
He needs to pay the price for this inept decision.
Unless there is accountability in this club, we will continue to flounder like this for years to come.
The trade definitely set us back. Prefer to think that the people who made the Gibbs trade have set the club back 10 years minimum. The Gibbs trade just highlights one of many poor decisions and their overall incompetence.

The trade definitely set us back. Prefer to think that the people who made the Gibbs trade have set the club back 10 years minimum. The Gibbs trade just highlights one of many poor decisions and their overall incompetence.
Yes, and we are not going to change while Chapman still hangs on. We have been ruined with a litany of management errors for so many years. Gibbs was just a small one of those.

The trade for Gibbs has been such a failure that it has set us back five years.
Loosing two first rounders for him (and dont try and claim pick 16 was just a down grade because we did a trade of 2nds which meant we up graded our second rounder, but gave away two firsts) now is going to be very difficult to make up.
Gibbs is now a c grader at best and is still signed up for another two years on a large wage.
The year before Reid came out and said it would be irresponsible for the club to do the trade for Gibbs for two first rounders, which was actually less than we paid the following year.
So for Reid to do a trade that he himself said was irresponsible, a full year later, is unacceptable.
He needs to pay the price for this inept decision.
Unless there is accountability in this club, we will continue to flounder like this for years to come.
While I agree with you that the trade has set us back I can fully understand why they pulled the trigger. We where in our premiership window and at the time Gibbs was an A grade talent. You can’t pot the club for having a crack and going all in. I can live with the fact that they had a go and it didn’t work out. If we went on to win the flag the following year then your not making this post.

While I agree with you that the trade has set us back I can fully understand why they pulled the trigger. We where in our premiership window and at the time Gibbs was an A grade talent. You can’t pot the club for having a crack and going all in. I can live with the fact that they had a go and it didn’t work out. If we went on to win the flag the following year then your not making this post.

Agree worth pulling the trigger, but Gibbs is not an a-grader. He’s had a couple of good years but he’s a b grader on average. He was the best b grade midfielder willing to come in our window though. And had Pyke/Burton not destroyed us and he played a fantastic finals series or 2, it would look very different.

was. not. ever. A grade. talent.

never. in. his. career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other list management decisions, deliberate or 'forced', around that period were much worse than signing Gibbs (still IMHO a net negative). Gibbs didn't even really underperform in his first season and his second season, though bad, was made worse by terrible coaching decisions.

was. not. ever. A grade. talent.

never. in. his. career.

Yep. The whole years of schemozzle with getting/not getting Gibbs was always overblown. But this was just a reflection of his real performance and worth. He was never a real game changer. Nor, for that matter, were our player management efforts during those years.

I get the feeling that Chapman injects himself into as many club decisions as possible.

The Chapman era has been marked by underachievement and failed initiatives. None of it is working. Well except for the secrecy and media antagonism maybe. Please excuse my despair.

I was hoping that we were going to see a better version of Gibbs in our system, but he's been a bust.

I think that is a totally fair and accurate summation of what was going on at the time.

I only wish the AFC played hardball with Dangerfield, even if it meant him walking away and us getting nothing. What Geelong offered for him was a joke at the time and is even a worse joke now.

I think that is a totally fair and accurate summation of what was going on at the time.

I only wish the AFC played hardball with Dangerfield, even if it meant him walking away and us getting nothing. What Geelong offered for him was a joke at the time and is even a worse joke now.
I agree. It might have stopped Charlie Cameron leaving as well, although I thought we did very well in that trade.

It's a results industry. You cant use "What ifs" to justify a known poor decision.
There were alot of people like myself saying at the time it was poor and would cost us long term.
Why was I right? Because it was obvious.
And a B grader looks like an A grader when he is playing in a team full of c graders.
That was Gibbs position at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back