Syphoncom

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
UNCERTAINTY remains over Mick Malthouse's role at Collingwood next year after talks yesterday didn't reach agreement.

The three-time premiership coach met Pies president Eddie McGuire in a bid to define his new job as director of coaching.

It's unlikely Malthouse will sit with Nathan Buckley in the coach's box next season.

But confusion remains over whether he will continue to influence match-day tactics or take up a broader behind-the-scenes position. A role on the boundary line has also emerged as an option.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-asks-whats-my-job/story-e6frf9jf-1226090226423 for rest of article.

Seems ... as though this isn't news. The HS don't have the inside scoop on what will be happening .. in the future!

But nevertheless should be on the back page and it's up for discussion, so: thoughts?

Re: Mick Malthouse asks: What's my job?

Doesn't bother me, would likely be hashed out in the off season in all likelihood - after the finals at least.

Really it's another nothing article with basically one new quote by Eddie. This is the only new thing the HUN have to write an article with:

McGuire said last night: "We had a board meeting today and that's that. I met with the coach, I met with the football director ... that's what we do each time."

Just another excuse to print a headline.

I can't say I'm too optimistic about this.

I just can't see someone like Malthouse, the strong personality with all the credentials he has, just taking a backseat.

It's different to Bomber Thompson. Bomber wanted to go behind the scenes, he was tired of the stress of being the head coach.

Malthouse revels in it.

This is a difficult situation. I really don't want us to lose Malthouse, but I also love (yes, I've had his posters on my wall since the 1990s) Bucks.

What to do? What to do?

Re: Mick Malthouse Asks: What's My Job?

To be honest I couldn't really give a fat rats anymore.

What ever happens, we know Bucks is senior coach next year. If MM stays on in the role annointed great, if not, it would only be to coach elsewhere.

As we say about players, if you don't want to be here, don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.

Although he has signed a contract to be Director of Coaching, I dont think he will follow that agreement and it would be stupid if Eddie doesnt let him leave due to having signed a contract. Mick has built out list and developed the young players very well and he is the main reason why we will be up there for the next 5 years. I want Mick to be the senior coach next year but he wont be which is very disapointing and therefore I cant see him being at Collingwood next year and I dont blame him becuase he has been pretty much sacked in a nicer way then usual from senior coach.

I heard he will be extended as senior coach for another year, but thats unfounded rumour from a colleague

I heard he will be extended as senior coach for another year, but thats unfounded rumour from a colleague
0% chance of Mick Malthouse being the senior coach of Collingwood in 2012, ZERO CHANCE.

He will either be the director of coaching at Collingwood, or he will be a senior coach elsewhere, that is certain.

I've heard that he's been offered 2 extra years, a house in the south of france and free tickets to a lady gaga concert in new york....but that's something I heard from my brother about 20 minutes ago

0% chance of Mick Malthouse being the senior coach of Collingwood in 2012, ZERO CHANCE.

He will either be the director of coaching at Collingwood, or he will be a senior coach elsewhere, that is certain.

or he will retire ....in fact, I think this is more likely than coaching elsewhere

or he will retire ....in fact, I think this is more likely than coaching elsewhere

Would have to disagree with you. He still has the fire in his belly to coach. If he doesn't stay on at Collingwood he will most likely coach elsewhere....probably the Demons IMO.

We can't help but ask questions.

Are we stupid for letting Malthouse, arguably the best coach currently in the league, go for an untried Bucks - and only because Bucks is a legend at the club?

It just doesn't seem logical.

I'm torn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard that he's been offered 2 extra years, a house in the south of france and free tickets to a lady gaga concert in new york....but that's something I heard from my brother about 20 minutes ago

this is true actually I heard it too from my dog. Mick considered similar offers to coach at Melbourne next year but they offered him crap seats to Gaga so he turned them down.

Agree with this, N Buckley will be coach next year 100%.

And TBH, the last thing on earth he needs, and no doubt the last thing he'd want, is for MM to be in the coaching box.

Would be unworkable and very possibly incredibly destructive for Bucks setting out on his coaching career.

Whilst i hope MM stays part of the Collingwood family, his role will have to be considered and managed effectively.

If some other team wants to pay out his contract with us and poach him, i don't think it will be the end of the world, if MM still retains that amount of passion to coach ( preferably he wouldn't go to a key rival though)

Agree with this, N Buckley will be coach next year 100%.

And TBH, the last thing on earth he needs, and no doubt the last thing he'd want, is for MM to be in the coaching box.

Would be unworkable and very possibly incredibly destructive for Bucks setting out on his coaching career.

Whilst i hope MM stays part of the Collingwood family, his role will have to be considered and managed effectively.

If some other team wants to pay out his contract with us and poach him, i don't think it will be the end of the world, if MM still retains that amount of passion to coach ( preferably he wouldn't go to a key rival though)

I think we panicked with the whole Buckley situation 3 years ago.

If Malthouse wants to coach for the next 2-3 years, cut Buckley loose.

It could end up Vossy number two....hope not but could.

What a load of crap, MM was lucky we've extended his contract by 2 years as he was on a very thin ice at the time.
He signed it, if he wants to go back on his word he can GAGF.

on the other hand he could be sitting in the chris scott boat

Good stuff

''He is definitely staying at Collingwood, definitely staying at Collingwood,'' Sidwell said. ''He has a five-year contract. We signed it. We knew what we were signing, so that's what we signed at the time. We knew the rules when we signed. There is no mystique about it.''

Remove this Banner Ad

Back