Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Woke up on cloud 9 this morning after the win. Hope Daisy Thomas and Dayne Beams are enjoying their breakfast this morning....w***ers.
And they both got belted today. Sucked in losers

I have been Buckleys biggest critic, but for the 1st time in 7 years i saw something on Friday night that excited me. A Game plan that worked, a game plan that was totally different to anything i have ever seen from any side, and something that we can use to dominate sides. I have always thought our list, although unbalanced was talented, never thought we had a premiership list but we do have a list with the right direction can make the top 4 and if we do that... well who knows in the finals.
I am getting excited...but as all Collingwood supporters know, things can go pear shaped very quickly. Please let this feeling last all year, don't let this be a false dawn!! I think it isn't.

Last edited:
I have been Buckleys biggest critic, but for the 1st time in 7 years i saw something on Friday night that excited me. A Game plan that worked, a game plan that was totally different to anything i have ever seen from any side, and something that we can use to dominate sides. I have always thought our list, although unbalanced was talented, never thought we had a premiership list but we do have a list with the right direction can make the top 4 and if we do that... well who knows in the finals.
I am getting excited...but as all Collingwood supporters know, things can go pear shaped very quickly. Please let this feeling last all year, don't let this be a false dawn!! I have think it isn't.
Do you remember a few years ago the last game of the season where we played the hawks with basically our reserve team in. We gave it to them to half time, then the hawks class showed. The game plan is similar to that.
And l think that’s how he has wanted the team to play all along, but for some reason or another we have not. But here’s hoping we stick to it, cause it’s a winning plan.

Do you remember a few years ago the last game of the season where we played the hawks with basically our reserve team in. We gave it to them to half time, then the hawks class showed. The game plan is similar to that.
And l think that’s how he has wanted the team to play.
NO this game plan is different. You can see why he wants Cox in the side with our mosquito fleet. It worked really well in the wet but i think its sustainable in the dry as well. Kick it to Cox, knock it down. our onballers swarm, get it to an emptish forward line where players run onto it. Our defence is now solid and set, It just seems right. Last few years was a hotchpotch of crap. we played well some games but it still looked wrong. Last few weeks look right. Cannot explain it properly but i see something totally different.

Let's not overstate Cox's game.
It was serviceable.
We can't have a key forward not having scoreboard impact.

Our small and medium combos are our strengths.

If he doesn't start taking marks inside 50 or hitting the scoreboard soon I can't see how he can be of real value to the side when Moore is fit and if we get a Tom Lynch next year.

"Creating a contest" is what all big guys do, it isn't enough on its own if he only had 5 disposals without any shots on goal for the game.

He's still not going to make it IMO.

It's not that his game was "bad" because as a team we really dominated them so we could somewhat hide his minimal impact but the reality is if he isn't going to take marks inside 50 regularly or score goals he won't cut it.

NO this game plan is different. You can see why he wants Cox in the side with our mosquito fleet. It worked really well in the wet but i think its sustainable in the dry as well. Kick it to Cox, knock it down. our onballers swarm, get it to an emptish forward line where players run onto it. Our defence is now solid and set, It just seems right. Last few years was a hotchpotch of crap. we played well some games but it still looked wrong. Last few weeks look right. Cannot explain it properly but i see something totally different.
It was that game that saw a quick move the ball style, switching, going short in the forward line, running in waves from the backline.
Talking about the elements of it. Not the complete plan, but the basic parts.
Why it’s taken this long to get to this point not sure. But we had some players that did not suit it, plus a lack of speed as well. Murray and Stephenson do suit it to a tee

It was serviceable.

If he doesn't start taking marks inside 50 or hitting the scoreboard soon I can't see how he can be of real value to the side when Moore is fit and if we get a Tom Lynch next year.

"Creating a contest" is what all big guys do, it isn't enough on its own if he only had 5 disposals without any shots on goal for the game.

It's not that his game was "bad" because as a team we really dominated them so we could somewhat hide his minimal impact but the reality is if he isn't going to take marks inside 50 regularly or score goals he won't cut it.
Cox isnt going anywhere. I actually dont think he needs to do anything other than stand on the wing and bring the ball down, like being used as a ruckman on the wing but there is no ball up, just a kick to a contest where there is no chance of the opposition taking a mark cos Cox is spoiling. Thats my read of the game plan anyway

It was serviceable.

Yes it was serviceable game, but let’s ignore the fact that he passed one off, and with tap on’s and taking two or three defenders created 3+goals as well.
It would be nice if he hits the score board more often than not, but if occasionally he does not, but gives opportunity to others and takes their best defender out of the game, that’s fine with me

Yes it was serviceable game, but let’s ignore the fact that he passed one off, and with tap on’s and taking two or three defenders created 3+goals as well.
It would be nice if he hits the score board more often than not, but if occasionally he does not, but gives opportunity to others and takes their best defender out of the game, that’s fine with me

The tap wasn't like Varcoe's tap on.
He didn't really mean it, it just worked out well for us.

I've still got serious doubts.

HeatbComesBack above thinks it's enough to just have him sit on a wing and "not get outmarked" but that will be found out very quickly- let's not forget what happened round 1.

He needs to be contributing in what a forwards primary job is to do- marks inside 50- goals or assists.

If he doesn't, he will get exposed because we know at ground level he offers nothing.

He needs to look at Ben Reid.
Reid knows the leading patterns- he can find the ball on a lead- something Cox also struggles to do and at the moment Reid can find it around the ground too and can kick a goal or two.

3 games in for Cox and he hasn't kicked a goal and has taken 1 mark inside 50.

I honestly feel our last 2 games, our overall superiority on ball and field position is masking what little impact he is actually contributing.

If this continues, we will have to make a change- because Moore will give us a whole lot more.

Next year if we have Lynch come for example he too will give us so much more.

He needs to do more than just "compete" and not get "out marked".
He still gets worked under the ball when it's kicked to to him inside 50.

I am getting excited...but as all Collingwood supporters know, things can go pear shaped very quickly. Please let this feeling last all year, don't let this be a false dawn!! I have think it isn't.
Let's assume you are correct HCB and there is light at the end of the tunnel. How so now?
How is it that after 7 years of Buckley coaching, we have a plan?
Bucks still doesn't have any luck; injuries keep piling up, so why the sudden optimism?
I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely curious for the answer.

HeatbComesBack above thinks it's enough to just have him sit on a wing and "not get outmarked" but that will be found out very quickly- let's not forget what happened round 1.

He needs to be contributing in what a forwards primary job is to do- marks inside 50- goals or assists.

If he doesn't, he will get exposed because we know at ground level he offers nothing.

Reid knows the leading patterns- he can find the ball on a lead- something Cox also struggles to do and at the moment Reid can find it around the ground too and can kick a goal or two.

I honestly feel our last 2 games, our overall superiority on ball and field position is masking what little impact he is actually contributing.

If this continues, we will have to make a change- because Moore will give us a whole lot more.

I don’t totally disagree with you, but Moore will go back not forward this year.
Lynch at this stage is a big if. Cannot be counted on to be here next year.
He is still a work in progress, will have games where he will dominate, then ones he will hardly touché it. Maybe more of the last.
He is a guy who needs to be involved early, to get those touches to help him.
His ground work is ok, it’s better than people think.
With Reid l think you will find that cox helps him lots as takes two defenders and leaves him with more one on ones.
As for Moore, if cox was not in the side, would not like him rucking at all. Not ready yet and cox does do that very well

Maybe Buckley was forced into it via injuries to fasolo , moore ect but how good is the forward line functioning with the new mosquito fleet!

Elliot should a slot in nicely as that class

Yeah, Bucks hasn't had any injuries to concern him over his tenure too date so clearly the few he's got at the moment have changed his modus operandi.

And l think that’s how he has wanted the team to play all along, but for some reason or another we have not. But here’s hoping we stick to it, cause it’s a winning plan.

Yeah, doubt there has been a massive shift in the game plan under Buck's tenure, yet get a good win and suddenly some supporters are having an epiphany. Weird isn't it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he lies down across the centre he can zone the entire middle of the ground....:D

Agree though. He needs to start taking grabs inside 50.
If I was that tall I would be a multiple brownlow medalist....

It was serviceable.

Just because Cox's name doesn't appear in the goal kickers doesn't mean he hasn't played a role in our scoring.

Just because Cox's name doesn't appear in the goal kickers doesn't mean he hasn't played a role in our scoring.

How long would we have accepted a 5 posssssion game from say Travis Cloke or Darcy Moore?

I said he wasn't bad but he hardly great.
Our overall superiority actually hid his minimal impact.

If we had lost that game and his numbers were the same would you say he "played his role?".

It really isn't good enough for a key forward to have taken 1 mark inside 50 for his 3 games this season and not even a goal.

Darcy did that in minutes when swung forward.

As I said he struggles on a lead too which is why he really is up against it having a real impact inside 50 or even around the ground.

How long would we have accepted a 5 posssssion game from say Travis Cloke or Darcy Moore?

If we had lost that game and his numbers were the same would you say he "played his role?".

It really isn't good enough for a key forward to have taken 1 mark inside 50 for his 3 games this season and not even a goal.

As I said he struggles on a lead too which is why he really is up against it having a real impact inside 50 or even around the ground.

We win by 40-50 points with 13-14 players hitting the scoreboard and I'd say we'd endure that for a f*+^ing long time.

Let's assume you are correct HCB and there is light at the end of the tunnel. How so now?
How is it that after 7 years of Buckley coaching, we have a plan?
Bucks still doesn't have any luck; injuries keep piling up, so why the sudden optimism?
I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely curious for the answer.
Because i see something totally original, whether its Buckleys plan or an assistant coaches plan I dont know. I am a person who thinks coaching is at least 50 percent of success whereas most think thats too high, but you have a good plan that fits your list and you are almost there. This plan fits our list, we get injuries we can replace with someone similar. Now if Cox and another big man goes down it might all fall to pieces, who knows.
Everyone wondered how Richmond could win with Castagna Butler Short Broad Graham etc were in the side. well they had a game plan that these players can execute. This game plan we are using now is a plan our players can execute with success.

(i cant believe i am defending Buckley!)

It was serviceable.

He created scoring opportunities for the small to medium players. Played a selfless team orientated game. Complaining for the sake of complaining I think.

I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't think using Darcy Moore is an appropriate comparison. For the first season+ Darcy got games based on potential rather than form. He has played 49 games and in half of those games he has had 7 possessions or less 23 times. Failed to kick a goal on 14 occasions and managed just one goal 18 times.

It was serviceable.

Cox has a lot of value as a Fleet in being

This is traditionally a term for navy ships that do nothing but sit in the relative safety of port. They’re a pain in the backside to the enemy because it ties up valuable resources of the enemy to deal the possiblility of the ships coming out of Port. For the WW2 history buffs, the Nazi’s tactical use of the battleship Tirpitz is a pinup example.

In Cox’s case, he’s a 7’ bloke who can mark and who can kick goals. As long as he’s planted within kicking distance of goals, he ties up a fair chunk of the opposition’s defensive resources, which creates openings in other areas of the ground.

Cox has a lot of value as a Fleet in being

This is traditionally a term for navy ships that do nothing but sit in the relative safety of port. They’re a pain in the backside to the enemy because it ties up valuable resources of the enemy to deal the possiblility of the ships coming out of Port. For the WW2 history buffs, the Nazi’s tactical use of the battleship Tirpitz is a pinup example.

In Cox’s case, he’s a 7’ bloke who can mark and who can kick goals. As long as he’s planted within kicking distance of goals, he ties up a fair chunk of the opposition’s defensive resources, which creates openings in other areas of the ground.
Love the use of Tirpitz example, would have given another like if l could have.
Tied up the home fleet because she was anchored in a strategic spot.

Last edited:
How is it that posters can sit here and crave Tom Lynch coming to the club and want the club to move heaven and earth to get him but when the shoe is on the other foot and Beams leaves due to a falling out (his sick father made the decision easier) and Daisy goes to Carlton, they become mangy dogs?
They are leaving Collingwood.
I think that would be obvious....
Seriously though we do sometimes overreact....
I only ever forgave Micky McGuane after he belted a fellow Carlton player in their rooms after training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back