Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love Big footy...
Round 1. We are woeful bottom 4. No gameplan, list is terrible, we don't have the cattle or coach... Rebuild time.
Round 2. Ditto
Round 3. Well it was only Carlton, we're still a joke!
Round 4. We have turned the corner and are now a chance for top 4 with a team gameplan and list that has "flag potential".

If we lose agst Essentide re.. expect the biggest meltdown re.. it's the nature of the beast re..

Looking good but need to back up against Essendon.

I thought it we snagged 2 wins from the first 6 that would be par. 3 really good. 4 outstanding. Beat Essendon and we are looking very good for 4

Yep we dropped one we should won have in round one and then recouped that in round four. Apart from failing to establish some percentage against Carlton (slow start, sloppy finish) our season has been excellent since losing to Hawthorn.

Essendon were pretty good on the weekend too. The melts will be epic re! Bucks loves to build us up just to melt us down.

It's Willy w***er when Grandpa Joe took fizzy lifting drinks re and almost hit the ceiling and w***er goes the suspense is killing me I hope it will last or some s**t like that re

If we want the Anzac game how else would you structure it? We will have about 18 hours less than the Tiges.

Ah just checked the fixture. Didn't know the Tigers were playing the night before. I feel a bit better now. Thanks.

Gotta love Big footy...
Round 1. We are woeful bottom 4. No gameplan, list is terrible, we don't have the cattle or coach... Rebuild time.
Round 2. Ditto
Round 4. We have turned the corner and are now a chance for top 4 with a team gameplan and list that has "flag potential".

This is the problem. This is the last 2 years summed up.

If we played the entire season like round 3 and 4, we would be in the "flag potential" category. Just cant see to do it consistently enough.

Crows, Geelong and GWS seem to be our peak performances each year. It sparks similar hope only for reality to be different.

If we can show similar game style against teams that touched us up last year like Essendon and Richmond over the next two weeks it may mean we have turned the corner.

Did Darcy ever go 3 games in a row without scoring a goal?

Did Darcy ever start a season with only 1 mark inside 50 from his first three games?

It's a knock I have on Cox at the moment because this "strength" that people see will eventually become a weakness if he doesn't start scoring or taking inside 50 marks.
I understand what you are saying however, the coaching panel is not expecting him to mark everything that comes his way. Cox is being used as a decoy. Moore was out main forward. The plan is that he creates a contest and if he doesn't mark it bring it to ground so that our crumbers take advantage. On nearly occasion that he has gone for a mark, there has been 2-3 defenders spoiling him. Moore was our main forward and it was him or bust.

Darcy has had 9 games where he has had 9 marks inside 50. He also had 18 games with a mark or marks inside 50 where he did not kick a goal. He also had 4 blocks of two games where he did not kick a goal. Cox may not have had a mark inside 50 on Friday, but he had a direct hand in 3 goals. His role at high forward is vital to our game plan and structure.

I am liking the coaching moves in the midfield with Pendlebury shutting down Cripps and Sidebottom shutting down Sloan. I like how they are rotating the mids into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 rounds in time to post.

Looking good. Have a small but workable forward line, impressive defence, mids and a gun ruckman. Sure there are the usual list cloggers same as every club but cautious optimism is the go.

Finals have a strong feel. Need to keep winning rather than getting knocked off in close ones. Winning is a habit that builds over time.

Gotta love Big footy...
Round 2. Ditto

I'm not sure that the roller coaster is just a Big Footy thing, although BF does become an interesting forum for the ups and downs of it all.

I was numbed by how bad we were in the opening round, such that it was difficult to drag myself to the Giants game at the G. The echoes of earlier mediocrity as well as the lengthening injury list gave me a sinking feeling. I didn't think there was anything unreasonable in most people's concern at the time, including my own.

I started a thread to talk about rebuilding after round one. What is a rebuild in this day and age? Given the fluctuations in the game and the turnover in lists, are clubs ever not rebuilding? To what extent do we need one, and what would it look like? The thing is, as happy as I was in round two (and this is when the magic started to happen, no doubt), and as happy as I've been with the last two wins, these questions are still as relevant now as they were in the aftermath of that Hawthorn debacle.

But we're human, and we're also not at the coalface of decision-making, and so sometimes we stop asking questions and just 'go with the flow'. Maybe it's like the economy: most people manage not to think about it until it stops working. I know that I'm just enjoying the moment, hoping that the purple patch can last a while longer, that we can have some luck with injuries and maybe sneak into the finals. I always make sure to entertain my hopes/delusions, especially when hope has been in short supply over recent seasons.

HMS Centurian would be about putting Blair on stilts, have him run up to the opposition’s goalsquare, and then collapse with some sort of serious injury which prevents him from being moved.
Yeah. The Centurion was a dummy battleship, not the real thing. Tirpitz was placed at Tromso for other reasons and was a success as fleet in being unintentionally. So the analogies are a bit superficial.
Cox was instructed to play as he did in deference to the conditions. It was just a better response than that of the Adelaide talls who tried to mark all night. I don't expect the instructions will be the same next week unless the conditions are similar.
The best thing about the last few weeks is the forethought that has been shown in preparing for the actual conditions and the specifics of the opponent. Pendlebury to Cripps was the right choice because of their respective qualities, just as Sidebottom to Sloane put the right player there to do the required job. It is asking a lot to expect something similar each week, but the level of planning is apparently much higher than in recent years. So is the flexibility.

Yep we dropped one we should won have in round one and then recouped that in round four. Apart from failing to establish some percentage against Carlton (slow start, sloppy finish) our season has been excellent since losing to Hawthorn.

I don't know if you can say we shouldn't have dropped the round 1 game after the start to the season Hawthorn has had.

I started a thread to talk about rebuilding after round one. What is a rebuild in this day and age? Given the fluctuations in the game and the turnover in lists, are clubs ever not rebuilding? To what extent do we need one, and what would it look like? The thing is, as happy as I was in round two (and this is when the magic started to happen, no doubt), and as happy as I've been with the last two wins, these questions are still as relevant now as they were in the aftermath of that Hawthorn debacle.

When going well, nothing is as good as it seems. When going badly, nothing is as bad as it seems. Unless you're Carlton.

As always an improved list will improve the lot of the coach. We have a pretty small sample to go on but Friday was encouraging. The addition of the pace of Murray and Stephenson has bolstered a list weakness and is a major help. We all rightly feel more hopeful than a few weeks ago.

Next two weeks will be instructive. If we are to frank our hopes we need to win one at least and ANZAC day looms most likely. If we drop that and then Richmond we will be back in finals unlikely territory. Still even 2:4 isn't the disaster 1:5 or 0:6, which was looming, would have been. Will be good to see Adams, Wells, Elliott and Moore become available.

I am a big wrap for Cox, liked him from the start , but I agree with HFF that his current output isn't sustainable. He id play a role well on Friday but that role wont be enough going forward. His development last year and in this years preseason pointed to a lot more contested and forward 50 marking than has eventuated so far. His lack of goal kicking is an issue because it was his strength as a forward/ruck previously. He needs to get both those things rolling out again if he is to be that answer I think he can be.

Hope like hell Bucks can continue to guide us upwards to finals but last week was only 1 step and we still need more.

Last edited:
As always an improved list will improve the lot of the coach. We have a pretty small sample to go on but Friday was encouraging. The addition of the pace of Murray and Stephenson has bolstered a list weakness and is a major help. We all rightly feel more hopeful than a few weeks ago.

Next two weeks will be instructive. If we are to frank our hopes we need to win one at least and ANZAC day looms most likely. If we drop that and then Richmond we will be back in finals unlikely territory. Still even 2:4 isnt the disaster 1:5 or 0:6, which was looming, would have been. Will be good to see Adams, Wells, Elliott and Moore become available.

I am a big wrap for Cox, liked him from the start , but I agree with HFF that his current output isnt sustainable. He id play a role well on Friday but that role wont be enough going forward. His development last year and in theis years preseason pointed to a lot more contested and froward 50 marking than has eventualted so ffar. His lack of goal kicking is an issue because it was his strength as a forward/ruck previously. He needs to get both those things rolling out again if he is to be that answer I think he can be.

Hope like hell Bucks can continue to guide us upwards to finals but last week was only 1 step and we still need more.
One result can quickly swing one from pessimism to optimism.

Go through our games for the rest of the year. Based on Friday night we should finish on 14-16 wins!

Yeah. The Centurion was a dummy battleship, not the real thing. Tirpitz was placed at Tromso for other reasons and was a success as fleet in being unintentionally. So the analogies are a bit superficial.

Yeah, it was superficial but it was responding to observations that Cox had a poor game because of his stat sheet.

The Tirpitz analogy wasn’t just about a Fleet in Being ...

... it was also about there being more to games of strategy than simply bashing two armies (or navies) against each other.

One result can quickly swing one from pessimism to optimism.

Go through our games for the rest of the year. Based on Friday night we should finish on 14-16 wins!
I'd put it more at 12-13. Still good finals chance as it opens up.

Depends on how consistently we play to that standard. maintain that most games we could definitley win over 15
Yeah but that's probably unlikely. More accurate to look at the average of our performances so far not the best. Not sure we will bring the Adelaide level all the time. Recent history says no , still that can change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back