Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not true, read some of the posts! Some believe we're back and we may well be. For mine it's too early to tell - need a few more convincing wins before I feel we're back but that's just me.
I've read them. There is nothing wrong with some optimism, it doesn't mean people aren't aware we have long way to go.

Not true, read some of the posts! Some believe we're back and we may well be. For mine it's too early to tell - need a few more convincing wins before I feel we're back but that's just me.
You might be surprised but me too.

All those that said it was players fault not the coaches... well i think the last 3 weeks proves that good coaching is worth a lot of goals. Same players but good forward and backline structure has made all the difference. I cannot remember the last time i felt confident of winning a game even when we were a lot in front in the last 7 years. The last 3 weeks i thought we were home after a quarter and never felt uncomfortable about losing at any stage. We are finally going places. cannot see how we are going to miss the 8 now even if we get injuries. Kudos to Bucks and the assistant coach who has brought in the game plan! (its a joke!!!! maybe)

Two weeks of football as opposed to 7 years of regression have me far from convinced, but we appear to be playing a much more sustainable-style of football.

Attacking hands from half-back, with a pressing zone when defending opposition retaliation from our F50m.

Small sample size, and plenty of water to go under the bridge - but if you keep this up, Nathan, you'll have a convert.

I will give Bucks and the coaches credit - they have got the game plan right.

Defending is great. No over the top freebies.

Midfield is dominant and the handballing chains have a method and purpose.

The makeshift forward line is better in its pressure. It is a bit enigmatic with a few 190cm whippets and Coxy, but it's just getting the job done. Of note is the move of Steele and Treloar forward at times to give us some class. About time.

We are probably cattle short of being a good team this year, but may have them on the sidelines of waiting on the wings with improvement. Either way, we are finally back on track.

I will give Bucks and the coaches credit - they have got the game plan right.

Defending is great. No over the top freebies.

Midfield is dominant and the handballing chains have a method and purpose.

The makeshift forward line is better in its pressure. It is a bit enigmatic with a few 190cm whippets and Coxy, but it's just getting the job done. Of note is the move of Steele and Treloar forward at times to give us some class. About time.

We are probably cattle short of being a good team this year, but may have them on the sidelines of waiting on the wings with improvement. Either way, we are finally back on track.
we have the cattle. It was never used right. IT is now

I wonder how many of those who were bemoaning the state of our list just a month or two ago were also part of the group who have used this perception to defend Buckley over recent seasons?

For me this is the crux of the endless debate over Buckley and why no clear winner will ever be declared because it all comes down to whether you believe we have under performed or performed to the level of the talent available in recent seasons.

In reality perhaps we have all been right and wrong, with Buckley now a good coach as of last season but one who had a lot more to learn on the job than everyone including himself appreciated at the beginning.

The list to while having genuine top end talent available from the time he took over in 2012 and some prized early draft picks since has for various reasons seemingly not lived up to the potential on paper because of injury, coaching development and disharmony in the early stages of Buckley's tenure.

Suddenly though names like Grundy, Sidebottom, Crisp, Scharenberg, Aish, Thomas, Brown, Murray and Stephenson are either in career best form or young players making a difference to the team compared to last season.

Throw in Adams, de Goey, Maynard, Moore, Elliott, Phillips, Cox, Treloar, Langdon, Crocker and WHE among others and you have plenty of likely best 22 types all capable of potentially being better senior players in coming months than they are right now.

A multitude of players that jump a level in the performance in the one season is generally the key ingredient that suddenly turns a pretender into a contender and it's what helped drive Richmond and the Western Bulldogs to Premiership success.

Buckley himself has talked about coaching being a collective effort in modern day football and with the review we might have delivered the necessary assistant talent that can implement his game plan as desired and provide improved development.

Rightly or wrongly Caracella was given a lot of credit for the success at Richmond last season and perhaps it's Longmuir the coach responsible for our defensive structures who is working wonders also.

Only those inside the club would know whether he acts purely within the structure of Buckley's plan or has been given the green light by the senior coach to implement changes of his own.

Either way it's a tick for Buckley.

Of course with better structures in place it makes it easier to transition the ball because players gain more confidence in there teammates ability to be in the place required to receive or to cover for them if a turnover ensues.
How we transition now also has more focus on handball.

Was this implemented to reduce our exposure to turnovers by scrappy foot skills?

I believe we saw the birth of this shift in play last season but we simply didn't implement it cleanly enough as to often our handballs missed the target, were to a player under immediate pressure, flat footed or simply to close.

This year however we are seeing more handballs to advantage, to players on the move, we are keeping better separation and when under pressure we hit our target more often than not.

This is a big tick for Buckley, the coaching panel and players.

Finally whether it's by our own design trained for over summer, a fortunate side affect of having so many forwards sidelined, the influence of the Richmond brand or all of the above we are now taking a more dynamic approach to our forward line entries and the personnel within, we're lowering our eyes more and becoming far less predictable because of it.

Of course with improved structures and transition should come better forward entries because players have more time and space to weigh up options.

This is a big tick for Buckley, the coaching panel and players also.

It's taken longer than I imagined but we finally look to have a brand, to have real cohesion between our defence, midfield and forward line divisions and are beginning to see the talent on our list shine.

What's that old saying?

Better late than never.

We're back baby.

Go Pies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People coming here to try and rub peoples noses in it, on the back of 2 good games is a bit rich.

We didn't write off Buckley after 2 games (5 years) and we won't say "we're back" after 2 wins either.

We happily take the wins and are very happy to see the improvement, and I think all of us have stated we would be happy to eat humble pie and see Bucks win us a flag....it is never personal, its the love of our club and up to the last 2 weeks we have been poor for a long time....fact.

If you think you love the club more than anyone else because you haven't been critical, or your have supported Bucks throughout, you're kidding yourselves.

We all hope this form can hold up, but time will tell.

Last edited:
People coming here to try and rub peoples noses in it, on the back of 2 good games is a bit rich.
I think 3 good games as it is not always about wins. Who is doing that?

If you think you love the club more than anyone else because you haven't been critical, or your have supported Bucks throughout, you're kidding yourselves.

Again, who is doing that?

I just hope Buckley doesn't fall into old traps when Fasolo and Moore become available.
We have the correct mix of shorts and talls so i honestly cant see them fitting in unless he drops either Cox, Reid

To be fair both would be far better than the two you've mentioned so it can only be a good thing that we've got a healthy competition for spots.

I still think it's a bit early to start hailing Bucks as a master coach, it's great to be winning a couple of games but think I will reserve judgement til later in the season, see where we are then

Hopefully in a very happy place

We didn't write off Buckley after 2 games (5 years) and we won't say "we're back" after 2 wins either.

We happily take the wins and are very happy to see the improvement, and I think all of us have stated we would be happy to eat humble pie and see Bucks win us a flag....it is never personal, its the love of our club and up to the last 2 weeks we have been poor for a long time....fact.

We all hope this form can hold up, but time will tell.

But it's the nature of a supporter to support the team. Critiquing a coach is fine, ripping into everything about a coach smacks of desperation...people who want to win either way- Collingwood win, I'm happy, Collingwood lose, I was right about our s**t coach and I am happy.

You know, I have often found that when you play a weaker team, sometimes you play to that level. Still a win and set us up for the hard one in Adelaide under terrible conditions.

It's not just this thread but others where the usual suspects are starting to gloat like they had some supreme vision of pending success.
I'll show class and not name names.
Well I have read most threads and haven't found that, most are cautiously optimistic but understand we are not there yet.

c0f0cadefd4a394246e94a26a5f1cb47.jpg

Two weeks of football as opposed to 7 years of regression have me far from convinced, but we appear to be playing a much more sustainable-style of football.

Attacking hands from half-back, with a pressing zone when defending opposition retaliation from our F50m.

Small sample size, and plenty of water to go under the bridge - but if you keep this up, Nathan, you'll have a convert.

Bucks blocked me on Twitter after I ripped into him after our 125th anniversary loss to Carlton last year.

I'll happily send him an apology if this becomes the norm for our season.

Bucks blocked me on Twitter after I ripped into him after our 125th anniversary loss to Carlton last year.

I'll happily send him an apology if this becomes the norm for our season.
It’s going to be tricky to get that apology through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back