Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems in your view it's mainly down to s*** happens, I don't think it's mainly.
There is a fair bit of s**t happens, but our poor performance more a result of a poorly run football department with a lack of continuity and leadership, which unsurprisingly happened as we started to stop overspending when they introduced the footy department cap.

We went from being able to simply outspend and over resource our football department in the 2000s to having to try and compete on a level playing field whilst at the same time being dysfunctional.

This has made it hard for players and coaches to succeed.

This tells that in previous years the club as a whole was going the wrong way about it and Bucks may have been part of the problem along with luck in your view.

I agree.
Of course, it's possible to speculate about all of the possible causes but frankly I'd rather focus on what's right going forward than try to apportion blame for the past without sufficient inside knowledge the way some here do.

As far as the list potential the club would disagree with you and maybe I'm a little optimistic and maybe you're a little pessimistic, if you are correct then we'll need to regenerate again - more years in the dark. In any case I'd argue that the development up until the off season has been at best poor, and my belief is that was a result of a poor performing footy department with guess who at the helm.

Not having the cattle to contend yet doesn't equal we need to regenerate again. More an understanding that it takes time and in an 18 team comp with only one prize on offeralmost every teams tilt for a flag will be unsuccessful. It's a different argument but I do have a feeling that an 18 team comp with no prize other than the flag will see interest drop off eventually.

So when Pert says we expect to contend for a flag by 17, when Kernahan in 2012 says Carlton's belief is they will win 2 flags in the next 5 seasons, when Schwab says Hawthorn have as good a chance of winning the flag this season as any these are just examples of premature hyperbole that club officials have always been a bit prone to. All of these statements were greeted with different degrees of disbelief when they were stated. Kernahans especially.

My view was by 2013 there was a clear view that the current list needed regeneration and wasn't going to win a flag. I think in retrospect that was correct. I agree our development and coaching has seemed ordinary since then. Our main problem though, which overrides everything, is not enough talent. That's not unusual though. I would say there are only a 3-4 of the 18 lists who are currently in a position for a realistic tilt. It requires some luck and maybe can happen quickly for us but problem is in an 18 team comp failure is the main thing almost every club will achieve with each tilt they have.

It's a different argument but I do have a feeling that an 18 team comp with no prize other than the flag will see interest drop off eventually.
Interesting little side comment there GC, which is a nice change for you. Has your account been hacked?

If not, what are you thinking as an alternative? Some type of conference model so there are a few extra post-season morsels around (still only contested by the ladder leaders)? Or perhaps breaking up into two divisions with promotion/relegation?

Interesting little side comment there GC, which is a nice change for you. Has your account been hacked?

If not, what are you thinking as an alternative? Some type of conference model so there are a few extra post-season morsels around (still only contested by the ladder leaders)? Or perhaps breaking up into two divisions with promotion/relegation?
Apart from going back to the VFL model which for diehards would be the best but wouldnt work anymore i think a reduction of teams , which I have been and am still against, makes for a better comp. That is killed by the idea of killing off Melbourne clubs but a 12 team 22 round comp with a final 5 was a great comp.

Conferences are really the most likely to work commercially, retaining historical rivalries and derbies showdowns etc while making fairer draws and giving 2 significant secondary prizes to play for. A two tier relegation system would be great for just a good fair competition with much more to play for but commercial realities I am sure would stop it.

Of course, it's possible to speculate about all of the possible causes but frankly I'd rather focus on what's right going forward than try to apportion blame for the past without sufficient inside knowledge the way some here do.

We'd all rather focus on the forward but the past gets raised and it gets discussed that't the nature of forums and I don't mind discussing the past - makes for conversation.

We'd all rather focus on the forward but the past gets raised and it gets discussed that't the nature of forums and I don't mind discussing the past - makes for conversation.

If you give a bloke 7 opportunities to dispose of the footy.. inevitably he'll get one right. This is Buckley's 7th yr as coach.. seems as though he's got 1 good yr in 7 re.. but who knows what the future holds.

If you give a bloke 7 opportunities to dispose of the footy.. inevitably he'll get one right. This is Buckley's 7th yr as coach.. seems as though he's got 1 good yr in 7 re.. but who knows what the future holds.
Gimpy if one year stands out for Buckley it was 2012. Team was wrecked by injury and season in ruins by round 4. 4 ACLs, multiple other injuries. Still he go us back on track and were were flag favs on top of ladder later in the season after 10 wins in a row. That was fantastic work. Prelim after JMacs funeral was too big an ask but 2012 was his best year of coaching for me.

1:7 is incorrect unless we fold up in the 2nd half of this season.

Gimpy if one year stands out for Buckley it was 2012. Team was wrecked by injury and season in ruins by round 4. 4 ACLs, multiple other injuries. Still he go us back on track and were were flag favs on top of ladder later in the season after 10 wins in a row. That was fantastic work. Prelim after JMacs funeral was too big an ask but 2012 was his best year of coaching for me.

Bucks is on the record saying he hasn't changed a thing that year and didn't get the chance to decimate our list....

But yeah what a fantastic work by him in 2012, deserves a statue :thumbsu:

Bucks is on the record saying he hasn't changed a thing that year and didn't get the chance to decimate our list....

Your first paragraph makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t set the bar for a coach as a premiership or failure.

Even coaches like Clarko, Longmire and Roos fail more often than not.

You need to understand what the actual expectations are - Bolton and Fagan can’t be compared to Hardwick this year.

Buckley’s problem is that many fans thought we should still be contending for flags in 15-16 despite going through a rebuilding phase.

If we make finals in 2018, we rebuilt with the bottom being a 9 win season in 2016...that compares pretty favourably with sides like StKilda, Dogs who we were competing against back in 2009-11.

But is not as good as Geelong n Sydney who keep on keeping on.

The singular focus on the senior coach for the success and failure of a team is just ridiculous when you consider how poorly run the entire football department has been in the last 5 years.

I am not one singing Bucks praises as a coach. As much as I would like him to succeed his review is pretty mixed and I dont think he would be still here without the name. I wouldnt have renewed him for this season.

Still if you cant recognise the coaching it took to swing our season around after we were pantsed by Carlton round 3 and decimated by injury both pre season and during the year you are being very harsh. Previous years grand finalist starting the season with 3 debutants and 3 players on less than 10 games plus Marty Clarke returning shows just what a terrible pre season that was.

He didnt change much but the side still needed coaching.

Would you really mark that year as failed in the coaching department which is what I was responding to. The statue crack maybe reveals a bias from you.

You can’t set the bar for a coach as a premiership or failure.

Even coaches like Clarko, Longmire and Roos fail more often than not.

You need to understand what the actual expectations are - Bolton and Fagan can’t be compared to Hardwick this year.

Buckley’s problem is that many fans thought we should still be contending for flags in 15-16 despite going through a rebuilding phase.

If we make finals in 2018, we rebuilt with the bottom being a 9 win season in 2016...that compares pretty favourably with sides like StKilda, Dogs who we were competing against back in 2009-11.

But is not as good as Geelong n Sydney who keep on keeping on.

The singular focus on the senior coach for the success and failure of a team is just ridiculous when you consider how poorly run the entire football department has been in the last 5 years.

I'd love to work in an industry where I can perform poorly for 5 yrs.. and still have a job.. if the football department was s**t.. why did it take us so long to investigate it?

Everyone's saying that Buckley is a lot more relaxed.. delegates more authority to his assistants.. etc. Where was all of this in his 7 yrs at the helm? Ohhhh.. he went about his business knowing that the football department was poor.. ok I get it.. no blame on Buckley whatsoever..

Let's face it.. we employed a senior coach to train him to become a senior coach. Even if he is successful.. and that means winning a premiership.. we went about it the wrong way.

Last edited:

I hated 2012.. I barely enjoyed watching a handful of games that yr.

It's only this yr that I have enjoyed watching football. 2011 was off the charts as well. 7 yrs is a long time to wait.

I am not one singing Bucks praises as a coach. As much as I would like him to succeed his review is pretty mixed and I dont think he would be still here without the name. I wouldnt have renewed him for this season.

Still if you cant recognise the coaching it took to swing our season around after we were pantsed by Carlton round 3 and decimated by injury both pre season and during the year you are being very harsh. Previous years grand finalist starting the season with 3 debutants and 3 players on less than 10 games plus Marty Clarke returning shows just what a terrible pre season that was.

He didnt change much but the side still needed coaching.

Would you really mark that year as failed in the coaching department which is what I was responding to. The statue crack maybe reveals a bias from you.
Imagine the reaction if Buckley ripped the guts out of the 2011 squad, or changed the game plan.

He can’t win with some.

It's only this yr that I have enjoyed watching football. 2011 was off the charts as well. 7 yrs is a long time to wait.
We waited 32 years for the 90 flag, and 20 years for 2010.

It’s been a frustrating few years but nothing compared to the past.

I could see us slipping in 2012 and the injuries were very damaging. Still there were some great efforts, the match in Adelaide against the Crows especially. I was pretty proud of how the players and Bucks fought back that year.

I am still not convinced about us this year, we have improved but I don't think by a lot. We are flattered by 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams 12-18 on the ladder. We haven't beaten anyone in the current 8. If we want to play finals that needs to change.

You might be missing a Pertinent point here.

Look.. I understand all that s**t right.. but why is it that so many coaches over the yrs haven't survided in the job.. Neeld say for example coaching Melbourne in an environment that was s**t.. so what do we do there.. come out and say Neelds a s**t coach?

You're basically telling me that Buckley survived over the yrs cause we had a s**t football department.. so let's keep him in the job for 7 yrs until we clear out the s**t.. did we only discover the football department was s**t did we?

I could see us slipping in 2012 and the injuries were very damaging. Still there were some great efforts, the match in Adelaide against the Crows especially. I was pretty proud of how the players and Bucks fought back that year.

I am still not convinced about us this year, we have improved but I don't think by a lot. We are flattered by 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams 12-18 on the ladder. We haven't beaten anyone in the current 8. If we want to play finals that needs to change.

The time frame doesn't sit well with me.. if I'm employing subordinates to do a job and they're not doing it.. I'll give em 3 mths to a yr.. not 7 yrs.. football Dept I'm talking about here re..

What you're a doctor.. you've got a s**t receptionist.. leave em in the job for 7 yrs.. c'mon man.. the time frame stinks to high heaven.

It takes 7 yrs to f the Football Dept off?

Give me a job at a football club.. please!!!

I'll make some decent gorillas without having a clue of what I'm doing.. Excellent.. I need the time off.

BringouttheGimp I don't understand why you, (and others) are still banging on about how long he's had the job etc etc.
Gone Critical and others, (including myself) concede he was lucky to be re-appointed.
He was re-appointed, the team/club seem happy, I personally am happy when we play our brand of footy.
Think about how many times this year we hear the buzz in the crowd when Varcs passes to WHE or Stevo takes off on a run or Treloar/Crisp dash through the middle or Brodie roves his own ruck dual and pumps it forward.
Why not just focus on that - the here and now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back