AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
Yep.
I hung s**t on Bucks.
Hand is up.
Who else wants to own up?

Yep. But I said to myself after Collingwood gave him 2 more years that I would support him for those two years.

Well, that looks like a great decision by the club. The past is the past, to move forward changes were made and the game plan has clearly been tweaked.

We could not outscore teams last year. This year we look so dangerous up forward. There is some change in personnel but not enough to change from an average margin per match of -1 to 15.

That means we have improved 16 points per game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
Nah, we have players players that finally understand it and can carry it out.
Belief. Seen this game plan back a few years ago when we gave the hawks a good run for a half with our reserve team.

Strongly disagree with this. The players always believed and always put in effort. The problem was the effort was never rewarded with goals and then the other side would score over the back with ease.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
We are playing way better then we have for 3-4 Seasons.

Everyone says it's All Buckley but they don't give Credit to our New Assistants deserve some Credit.

Kind of Shows how bad our Old Assistants where

To be fair Dave there's a lot of posters on here who were critical of not only Bucks but the FD and basically the club as a whole.

Past due but it looks we're heading in the right direction. It's not that we won, it's the way we suffocated them and spread on the win of the ball.

That s**t makes the comp take notice and revere.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The game plan is totally different this year. Cox is the major key to this. Kick it long to Cox, mids and smalls swarm towards him, its probably better if Cox drops it because the smalls get the ball where the opposition dont have time to zone, forwards swarm towards goal free and get an easy shot. Its so good to watch and it breaks the backline zones. Add to this a defence that is disciplined and not getting kicked over like the last few years and we have made a huge improvement.

This is ALL coaching. The game plan is TOTALLY different to the last few years. its what I have always been saying, this coaching is worth 4 to 5 goals a game. same as Richmond last year, new game plan and you get an improvement of many goals. And we don't have to blame the injured players because injuries were never our problem.

No, the plan is and always was to out grunt teams - beginning in the middle. The difference now is we're cleaner inside the phone box and cleaner in transition on the link up.

The difference you may see is leg speed on the spread eg Phillips and Stephenson and ball speed eg Sides, Pendles and Treloar.

Have a look at last years numbers, we're still high in I50's, disposals and contested marks/possies etc. we're just using the ball better.

And I'll agree this is all coaching with a hint of core group continuity, I'd argue we had better availability last year in a "name" sense. eg Elliott, Ried and Moore in particular but the group looks to confident in their DE ability.

The glaring difference is not the plan it's the cleanliness with the ball.

Strongly disagree with this. The players always believed and always put in effort. The problem was the effort was never rewarded with goals and then the other side would score over the back with ease.

Never said that there was no effort, there was, just there understanding of what was need to carry it out was not there. They till this year always took the safe option. Did not have anough belief to do what there doing now.

Never said that there was no effort, there was, just there understanding of what was need to carry it out was not there. They till this year always took the safe option. Did not have anough belief to do what there doing now.
Plus there hasn’t been revolving doors on every line either due to injury or form.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
We'd all rather focus on the forward but the past gets raised and it gets discussed that't the nature of forums and I don't mind discussing the past - makes for conversation.
Sorry for the late reply but it’s been a bit hectic for me the last couple of weeks and the fact that I am now up on cape York where connectivity can be problematic doesn’t help.

I have no problem with people discussing the past at all. I’m simply saying that I have a preference to be fairly circumspect about apportioning blame without anywhere near enough evidence to support a rational conclusion. As I said, some here are happy to come to conclusions with pretty much the same amount of evidence as I have and that’s their right I guess.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the key to this years lift in form comes down to core group continuity and belief in each other. Yes we have recruited well and had the great good fortune to have Stevenson click in his first game.

The other factor is the kids 2 years back are now maturing and able to contribute positively with more regularity.

More of an evolution than a revolution.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Yes he is coaching better and we are winning the games we have been dropping over the past few years.

However, 2018 is the softest draw we've had in a long time. The group has also played another 30-40 games together. A bunch of players are in best career form and they have a forward line which looks more dangerous than for the past 3-4 years.

I'm keeping my powder dry until after the Ess, WCE, North, Rich and Syd run is over. I'd settle for 3-2 over those 5 games.

ColinMochrie

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes he is coaching better and we are winning the games we have been dropping over the past few years.

However, 2018 is the softest draw we've had in a long time. The group has also played another 30-40 games together. A bunch of players are in best career form and they have a forward line which looks more dangerous than for the past 3-4 years.

I'm keeping my powder dry until after the Ess, WCE, North, Rich and Syd run is over. I'd settle for 3-2 over those 5 games.
I'd settle with 2 wins to be honest. If we get three we are a real chance for top 4 but I just don't see us there yet.

Back