gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
That year Buddy missed the finals was bizarre. I have never seen anything like it, and wonder if that was the time they thought, shiite, did we * something up?

Buddy is one of the best footy spectacles running round. Even when he doesn't play well he is of interest. There will never be another like him. He has won 2 flags and been the best or equal best player in the comp for years. It is not his fault swans havent won a flag with him any more than juniors fault for not winning a flag at suns. Plenty of guns shifted teams and a flag didnt ensue.

Boyd - what A game!

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brilliant thread. Philisophical even. Despite everything, the answer clearly has to be Boyd.

Buddy has pulled the crowds through the gates and has provided a windfall for the Swans, losing COLA after they got Buddy would have been unexpected and meant they lost Mitchell (who they could have done with last night).

Boyd was essential in the PF playing solely in the ruck when Buddy went down, and his marking and goal kicking in the GF was a game changer.

Buddy is nearing the end of his career while Boyd is much younger and could get back on the park and play good footy. Boyd for me.

Brilliant thread. Philisophical even. Despite everything, the answer clearly has to be Boyd.

I don't think so, Boyd's contract is still going to have far reaching consequences that may preclude the Dogs from having any more success if he can't get on the park.

Sydney achieved sustained success with Buddy, though they didn't win either of the grand finals they were involved in. Buddy did everything within his power to win 2014 at least, he was their only player that actually looked dangerous. On top of that, the financial and status draw card of Buddy Franklin has done more for AFL in New South Wales than any player since Lockett.

In the same way that I don't think you could say that Matthew Spangher had a better career than Paul Roos, you can't really say that Boyd was a better outcome for Western Bulldogs than Buddy was for Sydney.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
In summary:
Bulldogs fan say Boyd
Sydney fans say Buddy
Hawthorn fans say Boyd

Both deals may have been right for both clubs.

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think so, Boyd's contract is still going to have far reaching consequences that may preclude the Dogs from having any more success if he can't get on the park.

Sydney achieved sustained success with Buddy, though they didn't win either of the grand finals they were involved in. Buddy did everything within his power to win 2014 at least, he was their only player that actually looked dangerous. On top of that, the financial and status draw card of Buddy Franklin has done more for AFL in New South Wales than any player since Lockett.

In the same way that I don't think you could say that Matthew Spangher had a better career than Paul Roos, you can't really say that Boyd was a better outcome for Western Bulldogs than Buddy was for Sydney.
No one is talking who has had the better career, the question is which is the better trade. Boyd has had one single good game of his career, while Buddy is one of the all-time greatest. It's a team game however, so what would you pick, a flag or being competitive over 4 years?

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boyd’s past two years have been plagued by his mental health and back issues. He’s still only 23.

If Boyd comes back and becomes at least a solid player for the rest of his contract (or perhaps a very good one) then it’ll be very interesting.

I’d take him in hindsight because of his finals series. While the grand final was a serious domination he was actually very good the week before under duress and solid the other two.

Can’t imagine the swans regret Buddy but he’s looking stiff at the moment and they’re paying him for four more years.

No one is talking who has had the better career, the question is which is the better trade. Boyd has had one single good game of his career, while Buddy is one of the all-time greatest. It's a team game however, so what would you pick, a flag or being competitive over 4 years?

Nothing in my post was comparing the two as players.

From a team perspective, I think the 'glory' of winning one flag is overrated. Would you rather eat modest but still decent food all the time, or eat sand, then one time eat best food you've ever tasted, before going back to sand?

Buddy is by far the better player, but Boyd got the Doggies a flag. The first in what 50 years.

Boyd is the best deal. Without him they dont win that flag and that is what we play the game for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

so if a player contributes to a flag that trumps everything else?

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The lead up to the "Buddy" deal was quite interesting, the general consensus was he was going to GWS and
then bam I am off to the Swans. The "Buddy" deal has to be viewed better than the "Tippett" deal even
though there is an element of the "Busted arse trade" in both cases. Hawthorn are not to be trusted when
trading out players as there is usually a deep seated flaw or issue that they are suppressing. As a Dogs
supporter I can vividly remember the day I heard Ryan Griffen wanted to leave, I was sad for five minutes
and then my mind switched to what are we going to get for him. Two days later the Tom Boyd requesting
a trade stuff came out and I smelled a rat straight away unfortunately GWS smelled the same rat and held
out until the last minute until we took it up the arse. Now had we taken Peter Wright at pick 6 and another
player with pick 4 would we have won the flag in 2016 who knows, but I always felt the deal put too much
pressure on Tom Boyd to be the great white hope of the club. Anyway the Tom Boyd deal was a symbol
of hope for a club on it's knees at the time, Ryan Griffen leaving got us Luke Beveridge who in my mind
was the main reason we won the flag in 2016, plus the umpires helped apparently.

In conclusion the Sydney market needs a Capper, Lockett, Hall or Franklin to draw the people in and
garner attention, the Tom Boyd deal was more of a symbol of hope not a football descision.

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would the Dogs have won a flag without Boyd?

hard to say
but boyd did FA during the H&A season. he didnt do anything to get the team into playing finals. he didnt kick any goals in the first 3 finals.
franklin for me, he got the swans into 2 GF. its not his fault the 21 other team-mates ****ed up it up for him.

unless boyd can become a star in the next 2 seasons. no comparisons. he is no better than what morton did in 12

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Without Tom Boyd, the GWS Giants would have played the Sydney Swans in the 2016 Grand Final

Jordan Roughead was injured early in the preliminary final, opening the way for Mumford to dominate the game and lead the Giants into the first all NSW GF. But Boyd stepped up big time, nullifying Mumford's dominance to keep the Dogs in the game long enough for the umpires to win the game for them (apparently).

This led to the Footscray Football Club breaking a 62 year premiership drought and wiping out a massive debt, without which there is a very real possibility that the club could now be a lame duck team on the brink of extinction via merger or relocation and rebranding.

Does that make the Boyd deal better than the Buddy deal - as the ONLY reason to play professional sports is to win premierships, I'd have Tom just ahead of Lance but it is tough to compare 2 life changing weeks against 5 great years.

Is Boyd still playing?

Yes, returning to VFL this week due to lower back issues that saw him out mid last year from memory. Year before that he had mental health issues.

I feel the 6-6-6 could help him when fit - if he learns to hold a mark.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
To play in a grand final you first have to get there. Boyd didn't do much to help his team get there and hasn't helped them since. Buddy has done all he could to help his team get there - that they haven't is no fault of his. Silly thread.

Buddy's been a huge windfall for the Swans, no doubt.
Boyd was also a huge windfall for the Bulldogs. At one point in October 2014 we had no captain, no coach and no CEO. Boyd was a statement as much as anything else and stopped our memberships falling off a cliff in 2015.

I don't think we win the flag without Boyd. We have been absolutely woeful at developing talls (particularly forwards) with virtually nobody since Chris Grant providing much value, save for an aging Hall past his best. No other team has had the KPF black-hole the Bulldogs faced for so long.

The irony is we now have the best young KPF prospect on our list for 30 years - who debuted last year as a backman.
Schache seems set to forge a solid career as a no 2 forward/leading type.

No other team would dream of giving Boyd the contract we did but overall it's been a success. Buddy's definitely been a success in financial terms for the swans too.

Back