The Buddy Deal v The Boyd Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

For a team that hasn't won a flag in 60 years, whatever Boyd cost is worth it...even just for that one game where he most likely was one of the differences between winning and losing

One player played a leading role in ending a premiership drought and everything that comes with it.
One player is on $1m+ a week and can't do training sessions anymore and no flags for their club.

Interesting question posed by the OP

It all depends what you prefer as a football fan from your key forward and from your football team.

1) being a perennial contender, but falling short on Grand Final day. No flags, but hundreds of memorable goals
2) missing finals and being a perennial cellar-dweller, but fond memories of that season when your boys fluked a premiership

Dogs fans had never seen their team win a flag and Swans fans had celebrated success in 2005 and 2012, so I reckon they would both be somewhat happy, though not elated, with their trade deal. Neither group of fans would have it any other way.

People go to the footy week in week out. A grand final is the ultimate prize of course, but it's not the only prize. Buddy is worth watching for 22 games of the year. Boyd was worth watching for one game in the whole of his career.

There doesn't have to be a winner.

But yknow, here to win flags, not to have decent seasons were teams get close to, but don't win the GF. I don't look back on 2011 or whenever and think "well we won more games in H&A so that season is better than '18" or something

Give me that flag feeling over a "well maybe next year" feeling.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that Boyd was ever a better player. But a flag is a flag is a flag. QED Boyd

It's a pretty silly comparison because the two deals aren't relevant to each other. The only thing they have in common is they're both million dollar KPFs.

The Dogs so far probably don't win the flag without Boyd, and despite his contract, so far Dahlhaus is the only player they've really lost due to money (this doesn't count them having no money to chase other players). So by this measure you'd have to say it's a success.

The question of whether Buddy is a success is more complicated. He helped take the Swans to Grand Finals that they probably wouldn't have made without him, and were it not for his team mates shitting the bed in 2014 and him rolling his ankle early in 2016 (inb4nuffiescryongaboutumpuring), then he'd undoubtedly be a success. Sydney lost Mumford, Malceski, and COLA because of Buddy's contract, and it could still hurt them for a few more years, but so far they've come out ahead. It's a success in broad terms, but not in absolute terms like Boyd is.

Swans haven't won a flag with Buddy.

Do Bulldogs win the flag against the Swans in 2016 without Boyd? I'm not sure. Buddy is obviously 100x the player Boyd will ever be, but hell I'd pay a lot for a flag.

The question is what is a flag worth? I'd say a hell of a lot. Is it worth one great game for a player that wins you a flag and then is rubbish for years on end? Possibly. As a fan, would you rather watch Buddy for 7 years for 0 flags, or watch Boyd dominate one game that wins you a flag? Flags are very hard to come by...

Ask a Saints fan whether they would prefer Buddy for 9 years or Boyd with a flag. The answer lies in their answer.

Last edited:
Yep
ee94bd794a073a8daef98ca26774b7500dfe313a

He may be "retired" or "checked out" come 2021.... Would be playing on crutches for that kind of coin though.

Ask a Saints whether they would prefer Buddy for 9 years or Boyd with a flag. The answer lies in their answer.
Well the flag would be my thinking too. I'd happily have Lynch do absolutely nothing for the next 7 years after this one if he kicked 70 goals and 5 in a GF this year to win us a flag. Obviously not looking like it for us though. I'd take that over bringing in Patty Cripps to win a few AAs and Brownlows for himself but no flag for us over the next 7.

A lot of posters are confused about the question this thread is asking.

Those who have understood it have had a good discussion. In between the unintelligent “har har Boyd is s**t” and “how dare you talk about 2016” types

hard to say
but boyd did FA during the H&A season. he didnt do anything to get the team into playing finals. he didnt kick any goals in the first 3 finals.
franklin for me, he got the swans into 2 GF. its not his fault the 21 other team-mates ****** up it up for him.

unless boyd can become a star in the next 2 seasons. no comparisons. he is no better than what morton did in 12

Agreed.

Your comparison with what Morton did is pretty spot on at this point. Buddy has by far and away been the better deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing what we happened I’d re-do the Boyd deal every time.

But I’d take the Buddy deal, 344 goals in 112 games, perennial contenders. Has carried them the last two years, they wouldn’t have been close to finals without him. From what we’ve seen of him this year though (and I know he has had an interrupted pre-season) but I wouldn’t want to be spending $3.9mil on him over the next three years.

Knowing what we happened I’d re-do the Boyd deal every time.

But I’d take the Buddy deal, 344 goals in 112 games, perennial contenders. Has carried them the last two years, they wouldn’t have been close to finals without him. From what we’ve seen of him this year though (and I know he has had an interrupted pre-season) but I wouldn’t want to be spending $3.9mil on him over the next three years.

One terrible injury (touch wood that it doesn't happen) away from being a gigantic bust.

Hard to say. We would have probably made the GF without him based on his impact.

But would we have won the grand final?
He did have a strong finals series pre gf. Then he went karfrknbam.

No dogs supporter would change the boyd deal......and probably no swans supporter would change the buddy deal. Its not just buddy's fault they haven't won a flag since his arrival. It is a team game.......and he aint no Tom Boyd.

Sorry for the last bit.

He would have to have regrets

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Heres the thing.

Im in sydney to catch up with my brother - mum and dad are over too - nothing to do that night and sydney are playing a decent team at the scg

Im likely to go to that game because buddy.

And if i go - dads got his excuse - mum and the bro tag along because we will go to dinner afterwards.

We aint doing that for boyd.

And in sydney bums on seats are important - buddy puts bums on seats.

Buddy also helped them get in a gf - they didnt win but they were pretty unlucky - it just wasnt their day.

It's a strange one, Buddy has been huge and Boyd has been a flop but they don't win that GF without him was bog imo.

It's a tricky question. Both clubs would still do the deal even despite the cons I think.

The question remains - do the Dogs win the flag without Boyd? If it's yes, you'd take Buddy. If no, Boyd. His GF (and to a lesser extent Prelim) was great but I'm not sure it was a completely match-winning effort - it's something we'll never know thugh.

I suppose Boyd's still youngish too so maybe he'll play like his 2016 finals standard more regularly. He's done basically nothing since then though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back