Remove this Banner Ad

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
1555066640240.png

I find it hilarious how some Bulldogs fans are so keen to attribute the flag to Boyd.

He was utterly useless for almost the whole year. Yes I know he had a shoulder problem, but he didn’t set the world on fire before or after that injury. Serviceable through the finals and obviously played a really good grand final. I honestly think you could have replaced him with another tall who could ruck in those finals and you’d see similar results. Seriously I think his performance as a whole in that finals series is being overrated because expectations for him were so low. He wasn’t clunking marks all season and wasn’t anything special as a ruck. The Dogs team as a whole was sensational in the finals.

Boyd since has shown nothing and I’m not buying that it’s related to injuries or mental health. He just doesn’t have it from what I’ve watched. They don’t even need him anymore with Naughton there.

Without Buddy I think the Swans would have been a completely different team the last 5 years. Especially the last 2-3.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious how some Bulldogs fans are so keen to attribute the flag to Boyd.

He was utterly useless for almost the whole year. Yes I know he had a shoulder problem, but he didn’t set the world on fire before or after that injury. Serviceable through the finals and obviously played a really good grand final. I honestly think you could have replaced him with another tall who could ruck in those finals and you’d see similar results. Seriously I think his performance as a whole in that finals series is being overrated because expectations for him were so low. He wasn’t clunking marks all season and wasn’t anything special as a ruck. The Dogs team as a whole was sensational in the finals.

Boyd since has shown nothing and I’m not buying that it’s related to injuries or mental health. He just doesn’t have it from what I’ve watched. They don’t even need him anymore with Naughton there.

Without Buddy I think the Swans would have been a completely different team the last 5 years. Especially the last 2-3.
6 contested marks in a GF has never been done before or since by anyone - they aren't the numbers of any old relief 2nd ruck. The flag was a 22 man team effort but Boyd was undeniably a big part of it - that in itself is priceless.

Not his fault but Bud has forced a lot of very good players out of Sydney with the cap space, and therefore has probably cost them with a less balanced team. And I say that unhappily because Bud is my favourite non-Bulldog player. By contrast we haven't lost anyone except for Hamling that we really wanted to keep - our cap space at the time was bottom end and we front-loaded Boyd's contract so that it hasn't bitten us at all when the young guns have re-contracted on bigger money.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both teams winners from their deals
Boyd helped get the dogs a flag. For a team with a 62 year drought that is massive. Also no doubt there was financial gain from that too.
Buddy has drawn crowds in a non traditional football state. Sydney aren’t success starved (though the 72 year drought is a factor I guess), he hasn’t cost them any flags, but he’s helped make significant inroads in Sydney. AFL wins, Sydney wins, football wins.
Perhaps the only loser is Buddy who is yet to add to his 2 flags, though his wallet might beg to differ.

Boyd helped get the dogs a flag. For a team with a 62 year drought that is massive. Also no doubt there was financial gain from that too.
Buddy has drawn crowds in a non traditional football state. Sydney aren’t success starved (though the 72 year drought is a factor I guess), he hasn’t cost them any flags, but he’s helped make significant inroads in Sydney. AFL wins, Sydney wins, football wins.
Perhaps the only loser is Buddy who is yet to add to his 2 flags, though his wallet might beg to differ.

Very well summed up, you make some great points :thumbsu:

the dogs.. clearly.
The entire reason for football clubs to exist is to win premierships.
Everything else is secondary to that..
Dogs :1
Swans : 0
The fact that the single flag was decided against the swans means it's very easy to pick. both men played in that game. Boyd delivered Franklin failed:thumbsu:

the dogs.. clearly.
The fact that the single flag was decided against the swans means it's very easy to pick. both men played in that game. Boyd delivered Franklin failed:thumbsu:

Franklin was injured early on and he also copped a lot more attention from opposition players than Boyd as he was the main dangerman in the Swans line up.

Given Boyd's form up until then he probably wasn't seen as much of a threat by the Swans brains trust and he was left to run around almost unopposed.

The Swans ruckmen for that game were Naismith and Tippett who were both pretty ordinary, it's not like Boyd dominated against a Gawn or Grundy type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs still ahead because presumably they can cancel his contract. And they have a premiership.

Swans won’t be able to do that should buddy do the same - they have to carry his salary in the cap regardless....and there’s still four years to run.

Sad to see good players retire too soon but Boyd has to do what’s best for him. A true premiership hero and he can carry that tag for the rest of his life (along with Picken who also pulled the pin this season)

While I still think both clubs were winners, Boyd’s retirement today improves the deal done by the Dogs.

Correct, now a huge chunk to use on a good player.

Tbh I think the Buddy deal has been reasonably poor. No flags in that time (though not completely Buddy’s fault), Buddy has played about 4 years of million-dollar footy, and is now in a steep decline with three-and-half years to run on his contract.

Depends how you measure it I guess.

Buddy has probably been worth 10,000 memberships a year to Sydney and likely millions of dollars in advertising and sponsorships for the club. The only thing missing is a premiership and yet how critical is this to Sydney who has won 2 premierships in 12 years and played every final series during that time. A premiership would be nice but if Buddy doesn't help Sydney get one by the time he finishes the choice to include him in the club is already a big win.

Enter Boyd, gifted kid who was absolutely critical in winning a Bulldog premiership after a 62 year wait. The gift to over 3 generations of dedicated Bulldog supporters, a gift whose value can never be measured. He earned his 6 million in that final series.

Result ...

For the Sydney Football Club Buddy has been a priceless addition, and for the supporters a beacon.

For the Western Bulldogs ... and every living Bulldog supporter Boyd is the gift which will keep on giving for the rest of their lives.

Correct, now a huge chunk to use on a good player.

I just want to point out in recent years, were already were offering Hurely roughly a mill and wingard a touch under (before the bont and hunter renewals granted) so it wasn't like we didn't have anything to begin with.

That goal he kicked in the last quarter is probably the most replayed clip of the game. That's the moment he sealed the win and everyone knew the cup was theirs. Powerful stuff.

On the question of who got the better deal. Its the dogs. Boyd gave tens of thousands of dogs supporters the best moment of their lives. Buddy hasnt done that yet at sydney.

the dogs.. clearly.
Seen through the eye of a vic, sa and wa microscope you are probably 100% right.

Seen through a sydney / brisbane expansion team microscope you are wrong.

Buddy is bums on seats - theres a reason sydney are doing their rebuild now as he can still give fans a reason to turn up in an incredibly fickle market despite losing regularly.

Buddy was an amazingly longsighted decision - sydney will go down - recruit well - bounce up hopefully before bud is finished and that will be a great thing for the game long term.

The fact that they were in contention and had two gf’s playoffs with him were incredible.

When earning say 1.2 mil a year versus 900K, surely the only difference is you can buy a 250K car vs a 80K car, or a $4 million house vs a $2 million house etc etc, so who gives a s**t about money when you're already earning good coin??

Dogs would have won the flag without him. Was built on relentless pressure (and umpire support) not a handful of big marks. Admittedly he did play the one good game of his career at the right time. Other than that an unmitigated failure though.
Miserable post. Go watch the 2016 most of the bad umpireing decisions according to all the commentators were against us. It was only the numbers that were in our favour. And many of those were to advantage so we had the ball any way. But if that gets in the way of your fixed opinion, too bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back