Food/Supplements The bulk + cut thread

Remove this Banner Ad

hey guys..
I've had a knee reco recently and as I've gotta be in the gym I figured I'd lose some weight and get back into lifting.. havnt really exercised since I did my knee playing footy 7 years ago and I was pretty fit and went to the gym 3 or 4 times a week..

been going to the gym for just over a month and have dropped 6 kilos and added a probably 3 or so kilos in muscle.. I've cleaned my diet up a heap and am eating all the right things.. I know I'm doing pretty well as it is but was wondering if there are any good suppliments anyone could recomend for burning fat and aiding muscle development?
I've probably got another 5 or so kilos of fat to lose to hit my goal
If you're looking for a decent fat burner, Oxyshred worked best for me.

Have been on about 2500 cals a day for the last 5 weeks since I joined the gym. Been decent on the diet but not seeing results on scales. Measurements are getting there albeit slowly.

Have decided since I'm fairly large, 1700 per day is where I should be at.

Just worried if this is too low with gym 5/6 days a week

Have been on about 2500 cals a day for the last 5 weeks since I joined the gym. Been decent on the diet but not seeing results on scales. Measurements are getting there albeit slowly.

You're after weight loss, aren't you?

Big calorie deficits, large amounts of exercise are not a good idea. In particular, say you do lose weight over the next 4 weeks and stall again how many more calories can you drop from 1700.....? not many and still be able to function.

Where you really eating 2500 calories? Honestly for a couple of weeks track what you eat, find out how many calories you consume and work from there. Develop a basic meal plan and measure food for 2 weeks. This will give you a good idea on how much food, calories you consume also after 2 weeks you have a good idea how to portion meals by eye. And take into account a calorie isn't a calorie.

You are the same height as me, and im 27 about 86kg at 13-14% body fat. I eat between 2500-2700 calories a day to slowly drop some body fat. So with your extra 10 kgs than me 2500 should be enough of a deficit to lose weight. You want to be eating as many calories as you can and loose weight, when you feel you are stalling then cut 100-200 calories away.

Calaculate your BMR, which should give you a rough idea how many calories you burn per day, what that numbers works out to be less 300 calories and stick with it for 3-4 weeks and reassess.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

5/6 days a week is no issue, i have been weight training 7 days a week for the last 10 weeks plus 3 footy training sessions on top of that. Now that practice games have started im dialling back to 3-4 weight sessions a week, footy 2 times a week. A few tips;

1. Do forms of exercise you enjoy, this will help you stay motivated.
2. Structure your program properly to allow enough rest and recovery. You can still train 6 days a week and allow enough rest 48 hours between the same muscle groups. I.e. legs on Monday Wednesday Saturday
3. Don't over do steady state cardio, keep it short and high intensity (HIIT)
4. Measure your food for 2 weeks and develop a meal plan. You don't have to follow it to the last calorie but gives you a good guide.
5. Eat your biggest meal post work out, smaller meals before and after (depending on when you train)
6. Supplements will help, protein powder, creatine, glutamine are three basics but you will find the most commonly recommended by any gym goer.

And the "big secret" to succeeding. Stay consistent and you will achieve results!

Big calorie deficits, large amounts of exercise are not a good idea.
This x 1000 (the rest of the post is excellent BTW).

If your recovery is poor (which it almost certainly will be with such a large deficit) it will extremely difficult to stick to any sort of long term diet and fitness regime.
Chase small gains and remember your resting metabolic rate will improve the more lean muscle mass you have.

If your bulking correctly then you wouldn't need to cut, no?
No.

To stay under 8% body fat and put on muscle you have to be on the gear (top quality gear too) or have twenty years of perfect diet and dedication in front of you

If you want to temporarily sacrifice your body fat to +15% you can grow enough so that you are bigger when you get back to 8% and it only took you three quarters of a year

"If your abs are showing, youre not growing"

No.

To stay under 8% body fat and put on muscle you have to be on the gear (top quality gear too) or have twenty years of perfect diet and dedication in front of you

If you want to temporarily sacrifice your body fat to +15% you can grow enough so that you are bigger when you get back to 8% and it only took you three quarters of a year

"If your abs are showing, youre not growing"

So your saying it's not possible to increase lean muscle mass while maintaining your current body fat %?

So your saying it's not possible to increase lean muscle mass while maintaining your current body fat %?
If fat is at such a level that is desirable, around 6-8%, then I am saying it takes too long and too much stress on the body to stay at both low single digit bf and gain significant amount of muscle mass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back