Opinion The Bulldog Rebel In You

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are my main ones that I think a lot would disagree with

Libba whilst a good to very good player is not an elite player and his elite stats from few years back (like Minson's) were inflated largely due to McCartney's repeat stoppage contested game style.

Jason McCartney as list manager is a bit overated and we keep no hopers on list for too long every year (i.e Hamilton and Prudden this year)

Forgot about this thread, I don't think the second one counts anymore as most have now seen the light I think!

I never minded Akermanis doing his handstands with the Bulldogs and would have been content for him to keep doing them.
Same here, don't know what else was going on at that stage but seemed unfair

I never minded Akermanis doing his handstands with the Bulldogs and would have been content for him to keep doing them.
Same here.
In fact I wonder if banning the handstands was when the rift started developing. As long as you are still playing for your teammates between the first and final siren a bit of showmanship after the game doesn't hurt.

I'm on both sides, I didn't mind it but I liked us saying no to it. At the time, we were trying to change a culture of individual accolades over team success. Not that we sought that or anything, but we've been known as a club that has had some great players but never great success. If the club wanted to try something, anything to get a total buy in ( Like leading teams), then I was in.

I remember being at Waverley park when news came on about port arthur - shockingly immature I'm ashamed to say that at the time i was quite excited about a big news event happening. Needless to say when i found out exactly what went on i was mortified like everyone else. That's always stuck with me for some reason

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yes, I remember that day. we lost to st kilda and all my memories were how bad we were. we were playing so bad. what a terrible day. thank god we don't have crazy gun laws like the us. good job howard on putting gun controls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was annoyed in 1997 when Princess Diana died and the ABC stopped its football radio coverage for the remainder of the day to report on her death.
Yes and I was annoyed the following week after we smashed the Swans in the Final at the MCG the one before our infamous Prelim loss to Adelaide and we had to wait till about 12 midnight to watch the replay as they were showing her funeral. I remember they had to follow he funeral car all the way down some motorway and it was going about 30 klms an hour. All i could think of was cant someone hit the accelerator so we can get this thing over with, I am sure it ran for like 6 or 7 hours.

Do love him, but I think Dahlhaus' use of the football at times, particularly his inside 50m entries was a contributing factor to our inefficient forward line in 2017. High, shallow and misdirected.

And his set shots..............

Yes and I was annoyed the following week after we smashed the Swans in the Final at the MCG the one before our infamous Prelim loss to Adelaide and we had to wait till about 12 midnight to watch the replay as they were showing her funeral. I remember they had to follow he funeral car all the way down some motorway and it was going about 30 klms an hour. All i could think of was cant someone hit the accelerator so we can get this thing over with, I am sure it ran for like 6 or 7 hours.

The stats nerd in me has heard the figure of 6 hours and 24 minutes. I had nothing against Lady Di, but the funeral service was hardly interesting television (says me who didn't watch it).

Do love him, but I think Dahlhaus' use of the football at times, particularly his inside 50m entries was a contributing factor to our inefficient forward line in 2017. High, shallow and misdirected.

And his set shots..............
Not sure this one's unpopular to be honest. Our inability to work the ball into clean air in contested situations this year led to players like Dahlhaus distributing the ball more, which is problematic because it isn't and shouldn't be his role for the reasons you've outlined above. We pushed him forward more to (I presume) account for this but he wasn't near as damaging there as he has been in years past. He needs better distributors around him and a system that allows him to get the ball into their hands, which he didn't have this year.

This has turned into a typical Bulldogs BigFooty sarcasm fest. I’m gonna put a true post on here and say that Suckling has no defensive game whatsoever and I’m hoping the rumour I heard on Saturday watching the game about him going to the NFL next year as a punter turns out truth. Hawthorn aren’t sad he’s gone. Turnover king

This has turned into a typical Bulldogs BigFooty sarcasm fest. I’m gonna put a true post on here and say that Suckling has no defensive game whatsoever and I’m hoping the rumour I heard on Saturday watching the game about him going to the NFL next year as a punter turns out truth. Hawthorn aren’t sad he’s gone. Turnover king
What are you talking about? This thread is awesome.
Beats people saying how crap we are over every single game day and selection thread.

I agree with your Suckling comment but just say that and then leave it to let others to make comments they feel are rebellious as they see fit.
Who on earth are you to judge what others think is rebellious?

Strangely, the expanded name concept hasn't really been repeated. I thought St Kilda might have looked at "South East Saints" when moving to Seaford but it didn't happen. We're left with a bunch of inner city suburbs representing most of the state

Balmain did it changing to Wests in the NRL. GWS tried to encompass a large area with their name, but they didn't have another name e.g. Homebush to begin with

My personal experience with Footscray is limited, I base that mostly on stereotypes of crime gangs and junkies being in the area

Many people say the same things about my home town of Melton these days!
We're a happy team at Melton, we're the mighty fighting Bloods!

I guess this is what Smorgon wanted - fascinating to hear an example that it worked.

It's the only example I've ever encountered, against the many in 1997 who said that they would stop following the club, whether they did or not is moot.
I was a bit sceptical but got the idea of appealing to a broader audience and have come to accept it was for a greater good of building a sustainable club brand and am happy with the compromise of Footscray playing VFL.

Of course if you're just saying you don't like the suburb of Footscray (a town? - it was a city for over 100 years before merging into Maribrynong) then yes you get what you deserve!

Appealing to the western suburbs beyond the City of Footscray was the mantra but I think it was really done as a point of differentiation from earlier administrations, the western suburbs weren't the expanding giant they are now. That and the influence of a marketing guru on that 1997 Board, I can't recall his name but he was overweight and wore a pony tail. The fortunes of the Club since have varied. It survived beyond 1997 because it played regularly in finals; Smorgo worked with the AFL instead of against it, the AFL supported the club rather than trying to kill it off, a change in leadership once Oakley left; TV dollars; John Howard gifting the Western Oval improvements; the VU association, grossly underestimated as a factor; good, influential people on the Board, Smorgon, Alberti; the list goes on, none of it attributable to a change of name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back