The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

danster168

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't be disingenuine. The Melbourne Football Club was found not guilty of tanking, but the AFL did find Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly guilty of "acting in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the competition".

I'm sure (hope) you're smart enough to recognise that this is essentially a roundabout way of saying that the club essentially set out to lose games, i.e. tanking. It is also suggested by people a lot more involved with this saga than I am that the club was not sanctioned heavily (or at all) with draft picks and other penalties in an effort to ensure the club would survive, so poor was their on-and-off-field performances.

Yeah bro I believe you, the Dees didn't tank.
Melbourne were one of the worst clubs in the history of the game and you're comparing us getting a priority pick to the dogs a priority pick who were a finals contending team?

Melbourne deserved that priority pick 100 times more than the dogs deserved Ugle-Hagan. I think we would've got the priority pick anyway.

Yeah Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly were found guilty of sending injured players off for season ending surgery and experimenting with positions during a time that there was no incentive to win. Every club in our position would (and did) do the same thing for many years before us. It was nothing new. This is why we were found NOT GUILTY of tanking. You can't argue with the official findings.

conrad_437

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne were one of the worst clubs in the history of the game and you're comparing us getting a priority pick to the dogs a priority pick who were a finals contending team?

Melbourne deserved that priority pick 100 times more than the dogs deserved Ugle-Hagan. I think we would've got the priority pick anyway.

Yeah Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly were found guilty of sending injured players off for season ending surgery and experimenting with positions during a time that there was no incentive to win. Every club in our position would (and did) do the same thing for many years before us. It was nothing new. This is why we were found NOT GUILTY of tanking. You can't argue with the official findings.
Right. So now it's convenient for you to take the AFL at its word.

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't be disingenuine. The Melbourne Football Club was found not guilty of tanking, but the AFL did find Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly guilty of "acting in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the competition".

I'm sure (hope) you're smart enough to recognise that this is essentially a roundabout way of saying that the club essentially set out to lose games, i.e. tanking. It is also suggested by people a lot more involved with this saga than I am that the club was not sanctioned heavily (or at all) with draft picks and other penalties in an effort to ensure the club would survive, so poor was their on-and-off-field performances.

Yeah bro I believe you, the Dees didn't tank.
You're just lucky there was no WADA ... ooga booga ... of tanking to come in over the top.

conrad_437

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And now you're not?
I honestly couldn't care less about Melbourne's tanking scandal. Just funny how you continually bang on about how corrupt the AFL is but hold up the AFL's word as the gospel (despite, y'know, still finding the head coach and the general manager guilty of the same thing*) when it concerns you.

*Let's not pretend it isn't.

danster168

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I honestly couldn't care less about Melbourne's tanking scandal. Just funny how you continually bang on about how corrupt the AFL is but hold up the AFL's word as the gospel (despite, y'know, still finding the head coach and the general manager guilty of the same thing*) when it concerns you.

*Let's not pretend it isn't.
Well my opinion is that bottom teams should go into a lottery for priority picks every year. It takes way too long for bottom teams to improve. Not everyone gets 1/3 of their lift from father/sons. Would anyone really object to North Melbourne being given multiple priority picks for example.

conrad_437

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well my opinion is that bottom teams should go into a lottery for priority picks every year. It takes way too long for bottom teams to improve. Not everyone gets 1/3 of their lift from father/sons. Would anyone really object to North Melbourne being given multiple priority picks for example.
Right. Well that's completely irrelevant to the discussion we were having but anyway, I'll take it that this segue as a sign that you've realised how stupid your suggestion of corruption was.

danster168

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right. Well that's completely irrelevant to the discussion we were having but anyway, I'll take it that this segue as a sign that you've realised how stupid your suggestion of corruption was.
Huh? I think it's pretty clear that there is corruption mate. I've pointed out not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 reasons why it exists. I've given you examples of umpiring decisions that aren't just one-sided but are pulled literally out of thin air. Not to mention the Ugle-hagan decision. Your feeble arguments of 'you can't make decisions within the year' I pulled apart like my dees pulled your mob apart in the GF. Not to mention that corruption can stem from commercial sponsors and partnerships but you failed to address that either. Very convenient.

I think the reason why you are so defensive about this is because deep down you know that once you strip away the umpiring and afl corruption, there's really nothing impressive about the dogs and my prediction of a Dees GF win by 50+ was correct. And yours wasn't. So you misread your list which means you can misread what's going on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad