The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

It means that North are the team who get the most free kicks/highest free kick differential across the last 7 seasons. Yet here people are complaining about a team who are in and under (first to the ball) getting the most free kicks; usually due to their fiercely contested, quick handball style - the Dogs. It's ridiculous, lol.

Look back to 2013, Kangaroos are Top 5 or 6, every season. No-one complains about them, lol.

Firstly, the OP is focussed on Beveridge's tenure.

Secondly, that link is for Frees For. The differential is what is relevant.

Thirdly, isn't it even more alarming that if North are an 'umpire's darling' - the Bulldogs just went +11 against them?

And fourthly, what does it matter if it's a pre-season game or not?

Fifthly, the OP isn't a complaint.

Sixthly, why would people complain about a club being top 5-6 each year? It's when they're top 1-2 every year that it gets curious.

Interestingly, Beveridge addressed this elephant in the room last night apparently:

".....and enjoyed a 30-19 advantage in free kicks.

“Some people are always critical of that count, but it’s because we attacked the footy and we’re going to get that,” Beveridge said.

It can't be that simple can it? Doesn't every team attack the footy?

Interestingly, Beveridge addressed this elephant in the room last night apparently:

“Some people are always critical of that count, but it’s because we attacked the footy and we’re going to get that,” Beveridge said.

I rarely see Gold Coast attack the footy to be fair.

Oh dear.

A +10 differential to the Dogs tonight.

The cleanest team in footy strikes again.

There was one shonky as * free kick paid to us last night. The Cunnington holding the ball in our F50. I actually thought the game was reasonably well umpired other than that with a couple of odd decisions. A couple of times a mark wasnt paid in the f50 for each side when they held it long enough etc.

In any given match the umpiring is either relatively even or occasionally you'll see a team really benefit.

The Dogs had one of those in the big final, but apart from that I don't really recall an excessive pattern of umpire favouritism. There's no conspiracy here, and we aren't talking West Coast in Perth type advantages.

I'm not a Gold Coast fan.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 11.20.09 am.png

You can see how the whole AFL club stating you support Gold Coast thing, might give people that impression, right?

Firstly, the OP is focussed on Beveridge's tenure.

Secondly, that link is for Frees For. The differential is what is relevant.

Thirdly, isn't it even more alarming that if North are an 'umpire's darling' - the Bulldogs just went +11 against them?

And fourthly, what does it matter if it's a pre-season game or not?

Fifthly, the OP isn't a complaint.

Sixthly, why would people complain about a club being top 5-6 each year? It's when they're top 1-2 every year that it gets curious.

The response was not to the OP, lol. It was to people like you who are inflaming old arguments, with recycled talking points. It matters that it's a pre-season game, because the umpires trial new things themselves, and are a bit more harsh, as they can be; the commentators in both games so far have pointed this out.

My point was that North are top 5 or 6 in that differential stat each year/most years (if you can't figure out differential by altering the tables, lol, we have bigger problems here) and the Dogs have been in the top 5 or 6 a few times, yet the sooking is about the Dogs and not any other team. North topped that table by a fair margin in 2018, but there isn't the same populism when it comes to umpire favourability surrounding them, as they've been largely irrelevant.

I assume you're most likely a North supporter, given your weird fascination and grievance with this. If not, I don't know why you keep going on about this. If it was a close game with similar numbers across the board and the free kick differential was +11 in favour of the Dogs, then I'd be more concerned. It wasn't. Regardless, it's a pre-season game, and holds no relevance to the actual season. Move on.

Last edited:
Bontempelli making a beeline for the umpire and shaking his hand on the siren tells the story.

Hey, it is a legitimate strategy and it has got them great success.

Not sure I'd feel baraccking for the suck up snitch club though.

View attachment 827094

You can see how the whole AFL club stating you support Gold Coast thing, might give people that impression, right?

You have to choose a team when you join. I don't really barrack for anyone. Probably following West Coast, Geelong and Richmond fairly closely this year. Have a soft spot for the Bulldogs, the Saints and the Dees too.

The response was not to the OP, lol. It was to people like you who are inflaming old arguments, with recycled talking points.

?

I wrote the OP, and have been saying the exact same thing throughout the entire thread. I 'recycled' it, because as it's equally relevant now as it was back when the OP was raised.

It matters that it's a pre-season game, because the umpires trial new things themselves, and are a bit more harsh, as they can be; the commentators in both games so far have pointed this out.

Harsh on who? Obviously not the Dogs. And did they only trial the new things on North? Or did North not get the memo that new things were being trialled?

My point was that North are top 5 or 6 in that differential stat each year/most years (if you can't figure out differential by altering the tables, lol, we have bigger problems here) and the Dogs have been in the top 5 or 6 a few times, yet the sooking is about the Dogs and not any other team. North topped that table by a fair margin in 2018, but there isn't the same populism when it comes to umpire favourability surrounding them, as they've been largely irrelevant.

The OP is about since Beveridge took over. As per below, something kicked in in 2016 that other clubs are not aware of. Dogs were 1st in the list by a deadset country mile. First again in 2017, 3rd in 2018, then went bang again last year where they were 2nd again with +63!!

The reason it's intriguing is because it's so consistent with the Bulldogs, and because it does directly link to their form.

1582333801479.png

I assume you're most likely a North supporter, given your weird fascination and grievance with this. If not, I don't know why you keep going on about this. If it was a close game with similar numbers across the board and the free kick differential was +11 in favour of the Dogs, then I'd be more concerned. It wasn't. Regardless, it's a pre-season game, and holds no relevance to the actual season. Move on.

I don't follow North at all.

There have been many instances where the Dogs have been in a close game, and they've had a huge Free Kick Differential advantage. There's even been games where they've lost and it's happened!

That's the point.

Why is it happening? What are they doing differently, that other clubs haven't worked out?

It means that North are the team who get the most free kicks/highest free kick differential across the last 7 seasons. Yet here people are complaining about a team who are in and under (first to the ball) getting the most free kicks; usually due to their fiercely contested, quick handball style - the Dogs. It's ridiculous, lol.

Look back to 2013, Kangaroos are Top 5 or 6, every season. No-one complains about them, lol.

Quick handball style? You mean throws, they made an art form of it during 2016 and the umpires turned a blind eye to it.

Still not sure how the Bulldogs style of play earns them more free kicks than most other teams other than that they're good at playing for free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been many instances where the Dogs have been in a close game, and they've had a huge Free Kick Differential advantage. There's even been games where they've lost and it's happened!

That's the point.

Why is it happening? What are they doing differently, that other clubs haven't worked out?

Not telling ;)

You have to choose a team when you join. I don't really barrack for anyone. Probably following West Coast, Geelong and Richmond fairly closely this year. Have a soft spot for the Bulldogs, the Saints and the Dees too.

?

I wrote the OP, and have been saying the exact same thing throughout the entire thread. I 'recycled' it, because as it's equally relevant now as it was back when the OP was raised.

Harsh on who? Obviously not the Dogs. And did they only trial the new things on North? Or did North not get the memo that new things were being trialled?

The OP is about since Beveridge took over. As per below, something kicked in in 2016 that other clubs are not aware of. Dogs were 1st in the list by a deadset country mile. First again in 2017, 3rd in 2018, then went bang again last year where they were 2nd again with +63!!

The reason it's intriguing is because it's so consistent with the Bulldogs, and because it does directly link to their form.

View attachment 827113

That's the point.

So the whole trend started a year after Bevo took over and implemented his game plan?

It couldn't possibly be related to game plan..

?

View attachment 827113

That's the point.

Yet the table you yourself posted above, shows that only 2016 is a problem. It also shows that 2015 (when West Coast made the Grand Final) had a large differential. Positive differential for Hawks in two of their flag years. Positive differential for Geelong when they were on top and were leagues ahead of most other clubs due to their fast paced gamestyle. Positive/neutral differentials seem to correlate with successful teams and their winning gamestyles (with Richmond being the interesting outlier).

All that data shows me is that I was right about North being one of the most beneficial, over the years, and that West Coast - as is widely known - has a massive advantage over the years when it comes to umpiring with a phenomenal 400+ free kicks more than the next closest team in the Roos. You want a Royal Commission, should be looking at the umpires in Perth instead.

I guess we're contenders again when these old threads start getting bumped.

Bulldogs players offer Shane their guard of honour in return for all his sterling work. it's become a mid-season tradition down at the Kennel. We provide him with a whole roast pig and the case of the finest Cuban cigars after the event.

Roll on September.
easton-wood-of-the-bulldogs-congratulates-afl-field-umpire-shane-as-picture-id1154029074

Ok, get this….

The Bulldogs were 13th for Contested Possessions last year. Overall, they don’t win many. But…they were 3rd for Least Opponent Contested Possessions. So what this tells us, is that they play a very uncontested brand of football. Now given they received on average the most Frees For per game, that’s really odd right? Why so many Frees when you play so uncontested? Well the thing about that is, that there’s not that many Frees paid in Bulldogs games. They were 7th lowest last year for Frees Paid Per Game.

They hardly give any away. They were 3rd for Least Frees Against.

So this actually makes the differential even more puzzling. How can the differential be so vast, when there are so few Frees even paid?

Well, it’s clearly happening in the midfield.

Even though they play a very uncontested brand of footy, they have 4 players in the top 50 for Contested Posessions. These guys are Dunkley, Macrae, Bont and Liberatore. So given they were 13th overall – but have 4 individuals in the top 50, this obviously tells us a bit about their game plan.

This is where it gets intriguing…

The Bulldogs have 4 players in the top 50 for Frees For. Guess who? Yep - Dunkley, Macrae, Bont and Mitchell. The Lions have 6, Saints have 4, and a bunch of clubs have 3. So it’s not that odd in isolation. However none of those guys are in the top 50 for Frees Against! They only have 1 player in the top 50 for Frees Against, and that’s Jackson Trengrove. This is odd, as most of the midfielders who get plenty of Frees For – are also prevalent in the Frees Against stat. I guess it comes with the territory of being a contested player? Well, not for the Dogs midfield anyway!

What’s weird about this, is the narrative of ‘yeah, but they’re first to the ball’ doesn’t really add up. Although they’re 13th for Tackles - they have 3 players in the top 50 for Tackles. Guess who? Yep – Dunkley, Macrae and Bont. These guys aren't always first to the ball. They lay heaps of tackles - but just don't give away Free Kicks when they do it.
What's even wierder still is that the Dogs are 3rd for Lowest Opposition Tackles per game. So the percentage of opposition tackles laid per Free Kick given must be incredibly high.

So effectively what is happening here, is that somehow Bont, Dunkley and Macrae have unlocked the secret to contesting heaps of nut and laying heaps of tackles – without giving away any frees and getting heaps in return. It’s not the game plan causing these huge discrepencies in Frees For and Against, it’s that these 3 guys have unlocked the umpire’s code somehow!

Can Dogs supporters who watch them much closer than myself shed some light on their setups and tactics at stoppages that can explain this? Although Macrae is a chronic stager, the other two aren’t. So I can’t put it all down to that.

Any ideas? Beveridge's 'we attack the ball' furphy is just that. A furphy. It's in the midfield, and it's happening whether they have the ball or they don't.

It's no fluke. The Dogs know what they're doing. The question, what is it exactly? And why isn't every team doing it?

Last edited:
Yet the table you yourself posted above, shows that only 2016 is a problem. It also shows that 2015 (when West Coast made the Grand Final) had a large differential. Positive differential for Hawks in two of their flag years. Positive differential for Geelong when they were on top and were leagues ahead of most other clubs due to their fast paced gamestyle. Positive/neutral differentials seem to correlate with successful teams and their winning gamestyles (with Richmond being the interesting outlier).

All that data shows me is that I was right about North being one of the most beneficial, over the years, and that West Coast - as is widely known - has a massive advantage over the years when it comes to umpiring with a phenomenal 400+ free kicks more than the next closest team in the Roos. You want a Royal Commission, should be looking at the umpires in Perth instead.

Are you drunk?

2016 they were +112!! 112 FFS! That was 40 more than the 2nd team on that list! 2017 they were top again. 15 ahead of the 2nd team! 2018 they were still in the top 4. Last year they were only behind Collingwood, and had a whopping +88!!

What's oddest about it is, that they've only been a good team for about 3 months of one of those seasons. Aside from that, they've been borderline mediocre.

So the "Positive/neutral differentials seem to correlate with successful teams and their winning gamestyles" thing doesn't hold up.

Are you drunk?

2016 they were +112!! 112 FFS! That was 40 more than the 2nd team on that list! 2017 they were top again. 15 ahead of the 2nd team! 2018 they were still in the top 4. Last year they were only behind Collingwood, and had a whopping +88!!

What's oddest about it is, that they've only been a good team for about 3 months of one of those seasons. Aside from that, they've been borderline mediocre.

So the "Positive/neutral differentials seem to correlate with successful teams and their winning gamestyles" thing doesn't hold up.

We pay the umpires.

Just had a conference with the AFL Board and had a 1 on 1 with the umpiring group. We offered them the highest bid out of all the clubs this off-season so we'll once again be receiving quality services from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back