The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hooe Bulldogs fans write emails to the club about this.

As a Bulldogs fan for about 10 years, I'm embarrassed.

I'm going to name them:

Wallis. Macrae. Liberatore. McLean.

Seriously guys, WTF? You are good enough to win the pill on its merits - why stage this this every week?

You know what will happen soon? They'll get blacklisted like Papley.

And you know what, I hope they do. It's a disgrace.
Mitch Wallis is a dead set cheat.

Dogs won the free count 15 to 8 and some of them were clearly staged.

The one where Wallis kicked a goal was a disgrace

Generally sides who hunt the footy win frees more often. And West Coast with their bias.

The discrepancy is really in Frees Against though.

For a team that is +7 in Tackles Differential (top 3 in the comp), and a whopping +22 in Contested Possession, to only be giving away 16 Frees is extraordinary.

They're +1 for 1%ers too - so they're bringing heat to the contest, yet not giving away frees.

Weird.

The discrepancy is really in Frees Against though.

For a team that is +7 in Tackles Differential (top 3 in the comp), and a whopping +22 in Contested Possession, to only be giving away 16 Frees is extraordinary.

They're +1 for 1%ers too - so they're bringing heat to the contest, yet not giving away frees.

Weird.

We're coached well in this regard. Very disciplined.

What's weird is all the posters who still think there is some kind of conspiracy to this. Either we are one of the more disciplined sides in the comp under Beveridge, or the umpires have been deliberately favouring us. Which is just irrational to believe.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's weird is all the posters who still think there is some kind of conspiracy to this. Either we are one of the more disciplined side in the comp under Beveridge, or the umpires have been deliberately favouring us. Which is just irrational to believe.

I agree.

What I'm curious about, is what Beveridge's secret is?

What do the Bulldogs do that other's don't? It's not like they're 'first to the ball', it's not like they don't tackle, it's not like they play a really uncontested brand of footy - how have they managed to to be so heavily favoured in the free kick differential since Beveridge took over?

It's not discipline - it has to be technique thing.

I agree.

What I'm curious about, is what Beveridge's secret is?

What do the Bulldogs do that other's don't? It's not like they're 'first to the ball', it's not like they don't tackle, it's not like they play a really uncontested brand of footy - how have they managed to to be so heavily favoured in the free kick differential since Beveridge took over?

It's not discipline - it has to be technique thing.
What are you implying?

I would suggest that our midfield (a very similar one we’ve had for years) is a very disciplined one who as individuals don’t give away a heap of free kicks. I think it’s as simple as that.

What's weird is all the posters who still think there is some kind of conspiracy to this. Either we are one of the more disciplined sides in the comp under Beveridge, or the umpires have been deliberately favouring us. Which is just irrational to believe.

Yeah nobody in world sport has ever bribed game officials. That's just impossible.

What are you implying?

I would suggest that our midfield (a very similar one we’ve had for years) is a very disciplined one who as individuals don’t give away a heap of free kicks. I think it’s as simple as that.
Almost every free in AFL is subjective, so personally, I think a lopsided differential is as much about cognitive bias as it is technique. Sydney is also a very disciplined team but we have been at the bottom of that free kick differential for years.

Pity Bigfooty doesn't have no dickheads policy. Works for the Bulldogs. Dahlhaus and Stringer gone to two teams who are not so hot on the free kick differential count. Especially now that Duckwood has been nobbled.

The Western Bulldogs were +14 in free kicks on the weekend for their 19-point win against Brisbane. If we're just going purely by the numbers, shouldn't we be more focussed on Port's +10 in their 2-point win over Richmond, or Sydney's +13 in their 3-point win against Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back