The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really common sense, human beings make decisions based on emotion not logic. We like to pretend otherwise but this is a fallacy. If a team keeps a friendly relationship with the umpires then the umpires will favour them. Being friendly to the umpires is a great way to gain an advantage.

When are the AFL going to investigate the umpiring in Bulldogs games? There was a reason for McCartney's tirade, like you said the Giants got shafted by the umpires in the first half so you can understand his frustration.
It must've been hard for you watching the Bulldogs win that flag in 2016...

For sure. But there's a difference between getting pissed on field - coaches/players etc. and actually storming into a private room after the fact, to tear them down.

Pretty strange, and honestly not something I've ever heard of happening before. If Scott did this, the footy world would have a field day with it, haha

It's worth it. Dogs are on the watch list in more ways than one.

My understanding from this thread is that the Bulldogs usually slip the umpires an envelope full of cash before the game. McCartney must have simply been popping into the umpire's rooms to drop off an even bigger cash amount.

Clearly his plan worked given the free kick count after half time.

Looking forward to the Royal Commission into umpire interference by GWS officials. Apparently they can just walk into the rooms and have a few words and miraculously win the FK count for the rest of the match. Must be good to be the AFL's pet team 🙄

As a Dogs fan, I hate to say it but I think they have a point.

We have the most frees in the AFL if you exclude Adelaide, Carlton, Sydney, GWS, Essendon, North, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn. I assume all of those sides are above us on the ladder though (which is why I excluded them) because free kicks and wins have a direct correlation.

The bias was particularly on show Friday night though. GWS average 22.4 frees against per game but only 16 were given against them on Friday! Disgraceful by the AFL and umpires and Bulldogs, Jason deserves vindication

Every other major professional sport in the world encourages those with allegations of obvious match irregularities to come forward, investigates the issue and publicly releases findings.

But at AFL HQ they punitively fine those making credible allegations and go straight into complete coverup.

What’s so laughable about the Giants v Dogs game last week was that the umpires completely reversed the free kick count in the second half so it ‘miraculously’ ended near even.

Sort of like a hitman bleaching the crime scene, wrapping the body in a rug and departing the crime scene spotless.

McCartney is going to get an eye-watering record fine because he’s blown the lid on an obvious scandal that threatens the jobs of some very powerful people in the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you blame the umps and AFL house though? We hold that much power amongst the heavy hitters that they just have to give us a free ride with free kicks.

Huge supporter base, glamour area of town. Just an out and out powerhouse.

HEY - the inner-west IS a glamour area of town. Us inner-westers (westians?) have cool names for our suburbs like SKY (Seddon Kingsville Yarraville) and WeFo (West Footscray) that are in no way floggish, embarassing, or lame.

No one whined and complained about the Dogs in the old days when we weren't a threat.

Times have changed.
Yes, times have changed. The Dogs started getting there ridiculous reach arounds from the umpires and they became a premiership threat.

When its not happening, they aren't a threat.

I saw an obvious umpiring blunder last Friday when Vandermeer dropped the ball in a tackle and wasn't penalised. As bad as the Zac Bailey unrewarded tackle a month ago, but without the dire consequences. Maybe there were other notable incidents, but I wasn't paying close attention in the first half. Of course you see clear bad/missed calls in every game.

Moving on... expect to see more salt here tonight. Richmond have been consistently sabotaged by the umpires these last few years. They are -43 in frees after 6 games, the Bulldogs are +24! I think it's more to do with individual players being favoured/persecuted. So we'll almost certainly get more free kicks. But mostly due to Richmond's thuggery ;)

I saw an obvious umpiring blunder last Friday when Vandermeer dropped the ball in a tackle and wasn't penalised. As bad as the Zac Bailey unrewarded tackle a month ago, but without the dire consequences. Maybe there were other notable incidents, but I wasn't paying close attention in the first half. Of course you see clear bad/missed calls in every game.

Moving on... expect to see more salt here tonight. Richmond have been consistently sabotaged by the umpires these last few years. They are -43 in frees after 6 games, the Bulldogs are +24! I think it's more to do with individual players being favoured/persecuted. So we'll almost certainly get more free kicks. But mostly due to Richmond's thuggery ;)
The trend is that certain teams concede more frees than others and it is almost certainly to do with game style.

The dogs don't tend to get more, but seem to concede less.

Sometimes it’s “dropping the ball” and sometimes it’s “knocked out in the tackle”. Another grey area for the umpires to interpret.

HEY - the inner-west IS a glamour area of town. Us inner-westers (westians?) have cool names for our suburbs like SKY (Seddon Kingsville Yarraville) and WeFo (West Footscray) that are in no way floggish, embarassing, or lame.
Forgetting Nearly-Willy (Newport)?

Footscray now is what Fitzroy thinks it still is

Umpiring was poor again last night.
As hilarious as I thought it would be to watch the Tigers get reamed 2 weeks in a row- I actually found myself yelling at the TV numerous times because of shocking umpiring. One umpire in particular was/is TERRIBLE! No feel for the game, inconsistent calls dependent on team.
Dogs got a dream run in first half in particular. Second half they didnt really touch the ball.
I did notice umpires seemed to hate Rhylee West- he copped a few harsh ones- but when your parents spell your name like that, you can't really blame the umps.

Umpiring was poor again last night.
As hilarious as I thought it would be to watch the Tigers get reamed 2 weeks in a row- I actually found myself yelling at the TV numerous times because of shocking umpiring. One umpire in particular was/is TERRIBLE! No feel for the game, inconsistent calls dependent on team.
Dogs got a dream run in first half in particular. Second half they didnt really touch the ball.
I did notice umpires seemed to hate Rhylee West- he copped a few harsh ones- but when your parents spell your name like that, you can't really blame the umps.
Wouldn't really call it a dream run when they didn't pay the most blatant deliberate of the season. Umpiring was shocking both ways last night. Holding the ball seemed to be non-existant

Gamestyle plays a big part in free kick counts - Eagles and Bulldogs traditionally fare very well, Ross Lyon teams and Richmond fare horribly.

I just wish the umpires could be consistent. The umpiring in the Essendon Carlton game was atrocious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back