The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

These 3 examples are just embarrassing.

Hunter with the ball in hand. Drops his knees and brings his head towards the contact. Thankfully the umps didn't fall for it.

View attachment 1248026

Next is Macrae, ducking unnaturally trying to earn a high free. LOL. what the hell is he doing?

View attachment 1248031

Thirdly, Weightman complaining about a free kick in the first quarter of his very first GF. Clearly is mind is always fixed on the whistle and not the ball. He still had time to affect the next contest. Good God.

View attachment 1248035
Yeah that Macrae one was a joke. Lots of players try it on; very poor of the umpires to not see it.

He's the best at it.
So is your point that the Bulldogs are coached to do it, or that other teams also coach to do it but a couple of Bulldogs players are more effective at it? If you've spent pages in this thread saying it, I gotta tell you I'm still not sure what it is you're trying to say.

So is your point that the Bulldogs are coached to do it, or that other teams also coach to do it but a couple of Bulldogs players are more effective at it? If you've spent pages in this thread saying it, I gotta tell you I'm still not sure what it is you're trying to say.

Go back and read the posts.

I've got a summary of it here for you:

54710812-a-pile-of-pooh-with-a-flag-label-sticking-out-of-it-and-the-word-bullshit-added-in-red-text.jpg

He's the best at it.
I mean, I think most accept that Hunter does it but this is just a lie.

By "best at it" I assume (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) that he draws free kicks doing it more than any other player?

There are plenty of other players in the league that do it. Let's have a look at their average free kicks per game:

Joel Selwood - 2.54
Luke Shuey - 1.70
Rhys Mathieson - 1.54

Cody Weightman - 1.47 (Added him for transparency)

Lachie Hunter - 1.15

I'm confident there is some I'm missing, I also realise that using purely free kicks isn't an amazing metric but if you can find me a "high free kicks that weren't actually high and instead were because he shrugged the shoulders" statistic then I'm happy to concede he is the "best at it".

Thought the GF was umpired pretty well, was a few soft free kicks but thought they mostly let it go rather than looking for the whistle in a 50/50 which was good.
19-13 assuming that’s below average for a game this year
Obviously there will be a few frustrating ones both sides will look back on.

I mean, I think most accept that Hunter does it but this is just a lie.

By "best at it" I assume (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) that he draws free kicks doing it more than any other player?

There are plenty of other players in the league that do it. Let's have a look at their average free kicks per game:

Joel Selwood - 2.54
Luke Shuey - 1.70
Rhys Mathieson - 1.54

Cody Weightman - 1.47 (Added him for transparency)

Lachie Hunter - 1.15

I'm confident there is some I'm missing, I also realise that using purely free kicks isn't an amazing metric but if you can find me a "high free kicks that weren't actually high and instead were because he shrugged the shoulders" statistic then I'm happy to concede he is the "best at it".

Consideringthe first 3 are inside mids who are always near the ball and see about 10 times the number of contests it's pretty astonishing that Weightman is that high. If he was playing full time inside mid, he'd on at least 3 I think (more than Selwood).

Hunter low number surprises me a bit. I thought it'd be higher.

Thought the GF was umpired pretty well, was a few soft free kicks but thought they mostly let it go rather than looking for the whistle in a 50/50 which was good.

Grand Finals are ALWAYS well umpired because they don't act like heroes and make it about them and blow the whistle for soft sticky touch s**t and reversals in front of goal etc.. no wonder Razor Ray doesn't get the gig.

Only the 2016 GF was umpired badly... and it was purely because the whole general public and whole of Melbourne were caught up in the Dogs fairy tale and the umps got sucked into it.

Got a very good ride in the grand final IMO. The umpires tried hard.
Thankfully, the Dogs are just nowhere near as good as Melbourne so it didn’t matter.
Love a dive; the dogs that is.
Very, very good at throwing too. Disguise it well, but don’t seem to get pinged when they don’t disguise it at all.
It’s a bit suss. More than a bit tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankfully, the Dogs are just nowhere near as good as Melbourne so it didn’t matter.
Very, very good at throwing too. Disguise it well, but don’t seem to get pinged when they don’t disguise it at all.

I’ll be right back, heading to Mars.

EDF4A949-DBDD-48B1-A1CE-F93E347D9101.jpeg
43A2E7EA-9F74-4095-8A3C-E033773F8F92.jpeg

Can’t blame Max for taking a dive in the gf, he was kicking goals the umpires didn’t even count. It was looking like a repeat of 2016 then. Had to try something.

Thankfully the Doggies shat themselves after Fritta kicked his third and the Dees won 👍🏾

Dogs fan's complaining about staging? Come on guys. And you couldn't even find proper vision of flopping. All of the ones posted were off the ball as opposed to Lachie Hunter, Macrae and Weightman who flop, dive and stage instead of winning the hard ball.

Dogs fan's complaining about staging? Come on guys. And you couldn't even find proper vision of flopping. All of the ones posted were off the ball as opposed to Lachie Hunter, Macrae and Weightman who flop, dive and stage instead of winning the hard ball.
Macrae had the fourth most contested possessions in the AFL this season. Definitely doesn’t win the hard ball though, right.

Way to go to urinate on the extraordinary outpouring of goodwill bestowed on Melbourne after that incredible victory pal. Fortunately it looks like most Demons supporters have shown a lot more grace than you have.

Way to go to urinate on the extraordinary outpouring of goodwill bestowed on Melbourne after that incredible victory pal. Fortunately it looks like most Demons supporters have shown a lot more grace than you have.
It was an incredible victory, wasn’t it champ?

Thanks for shading your concerns but there is nothing gracious about patronising your opponent.
They were pathetic and did not deserve to be in the grand final; they qualified only after benefitting from lopsided umpiring in their semi final against the Lions.

Supporting the team who thrashed the Dogs in the grand final doesn’t mean I can’t comment on the fact that they throw the ball and dive for free kicks more than other teams. This is an opinion shared by many neutral supporters, hence this thread. It is a blight on the game.

I do agree however it is very important to be humble and gracious. A very important lesson for Dogs supporters I feel- they have some very, very lippy supporters on here. Not surprising, really, given their team are incredibly arrogant as well.

Edit: I originally wrote "prelim final" and not "semi final". This was an error and has now been amended.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back