Opinion The Bulldogs BigFooty Phantom Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

With pick 45 the Hawks select Billy Kolyniuk

Son of former Bulldogs star Steve, Billy has been a well-guarded secret weapon, starring for the Western Jets before making an immediate impact for Point Cook. He is a speedy utility, capable of spreading his time between the midfield and up forward, where he is a dangerous goal sneak, cut from the same cloth as his champion father. A diamond in the rough.

Pick 46 Carlton select Jaiden Magor

Good sized, powerful medium forward/midfielder from who has shown his ability to rack up the pill in the middle and hit the scoreboard up forward. Huge upside and offers something a bit different to what Carlton have on their list currently.

Pick 47, Hawthorn: Phoenix Foster

Tall forward/ruckman from SA with mobility, strong overhead marking and ruck craft. And he has an awesome name. Job done.

Could probably do with an updated list of the picks to this point in the first post, hard to keep track of who’s still available
I’m struggling now because I’m getting a pop ad in the middle
And at the bottom on my phone
I can only read through one post at a time on my phone

With our final selection, Hawthorn give young South Australian Archie Lovelock a home. Archie is an endurance beast, loves a goal and is a pressure forward with a touch of Mitch Honeychurch.

With our final selection, Hawthorn give young South Australian Archie Lovelock a home. Archie is an endurance beast, loves a goal and is a pressure forward with a touch of Mitch Honeychurch.
I don't like comparing players to champions gives everyone unrealistic expectation, poor kid may never live up to the lofty heights of honeychurch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 39 will stay 39 after Ashcroft, Davey Jnr, Fletcher, Michalanney bids or go back to 40 if also Harvey is bid on. Perfect Munkura selection pick though.
Yeah good point it’ll stay 40 odd in theory but I guess I’d personally still look at it as 35 as it’ll be roughly the 35th live pick in the draft - of course the talent pools been depleted further but I guess seeing as we never had access to those players anyway I’m not really factoring them into my thinking

Adelaide select with their last selection Adam D’Aloia

From Sheenan's article: A strong-bodied medium midfielder who was ultra-consistent for South Australia throughout the National Championships. Averaged 24 disposals (78% efficiency), 14 contested possessions and five inside 50s to take out his team’s MVP award and win All-Australian honours. Was also a prolific ball winner at under-18s level with Woodville-West Torrens before progressing to play seven games at reserves level, where he was again able to find the ball, averaging 23 disposals.

Crows lack the big bodied mids so if he can make the step up to AFL he'll be a bargain pickup.

Boyd oh Boyd up next for geelong.

Last edited:
Eagles and Crows draft write ups.

Eagles

Eagles manage to get their men in Ginbey and Allen addressing midfield needs. They also manage to land Davey Jnr which would be a coup for them (even though in the real draft he would of been matched) and 1 of the arguably best Fwd/Ruck in Isaac Keeler. They would be very pleased with these selections.

Crows

Only going 2 selections They Get their F/S Max Michalanney from a bid match and probably their best selection at their pick in Adam D'Aiola. I think the fans would be delighted in these 2.

If Davey was matched I would of went Keeler then Sam Gilbey at the next pick.

Honestly, how many years until their draft luck runs out? Draft a bunch of first rounders, trade them out for first rounders or two a couple of first rounders, a few years later. Repeat the process. Surely this rotation will dilute enough that it will fizz out sooner than later.
I've been hoping so too, but it keeps happening. Good pick returns again this year for Taranto and Hopper, and I'm sure we're looking at a first and second next year for Callaghan if we're interested. 4 picks in the top 19 this year, and even 31 can become a very good footballer (if for some reason it's not Rowston, though I suspect it will be.)
I figured that even though I don't like the club, I should play this draft game straight. Hollands to 21 was a remarkable slide that won't happen in the real thing.
Every draft has a slider, Hollands could well be it. I'd be very suprised too, but we've just shown how it can happen.
I don't mind them drafting first rounders aslong as they never win a premiership.
But definitely this. :grinning:

With whatever pick this is Geelong select Joe Richards

A mature-aged player at 22, Richards is ready for AFL but will need to find a new position from his regular midfield spot. With his pace and clean skills he could maybe play wing, and with his nose for goals he could play forward.

I've been hoping so too, but it keeps happening. Good pick returns again this year for Taranto and Hopper, and I'm sure we're looking at a first and second next year for Callaghan if we're interested. 4 picks in the top 19 this year, and even 31 can become a very good footballer (if for some reason it's not Rowston, though I suspect it will be.)

But definitely this. :grinning:
GWS will never get a settled line-up if they keep losing their top 10 picks as soon as they reach their prime. It's hard (if not impossible) to win a flag when you keep losing the stars you are trying to build your team around.

It's an appropriate Sisyphean fate for a club built on marketing strategy rather than grass roots support ("focus groups vs blood & boots").
I just feel sorry for those who have been gulled into supporting them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back