The bye week retrospective

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lions-close-but-no-cigar-20180613-p4zl7g.html

I tend to agree with this review in The Age today.

I think it is a sign of how inured we are to losing, that people are looking at moderate improvements in some of our stats as some sign that this year hasn’t been another complete washout. Hard to argue with the most important statistic - we have won one game and lost eleven.

D - minus at best.
I reckon a C-/D. If the players aren’t motivated enough by the close misses to close out at least 4 more games by the end of the season, then the season gets a big F from me. Injuries haven’t been, and can’t be, an excuse.

Keep playing the kids, Allison & McStay (who is finally showing some consistent performance but poor goal kicking). The wins will be easier to achieve with those players.

Gill The Dill on SEN yesterday-

I have a bit of angst about where Carlton, St.Kilda and the Suns are but Brisbane are going alright. Bye Bye PP.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lions-close-but-no-cigar-20180613-p4zl7g.html

I tend to agree with this review in The Age today.

I think it is a sign of how inured we are to losing, that people are looking at moderate improvements in some of our stats as some sign that this year hasn’t been another complete washout. Hard to argue with the most important statistic - we have won one game and lost eleven.

D - minus at best.

I'd probably agree that the grade is in the right ballpark, but it's a pretty ordinary article.

I have a bit of angst about where Carlton, St.Kilda and the Suns are but Brisbane are going alright. Bye Bye PP.

That could mean we are going alright so give us a priority pick, the rest need help off the field.

;)

Yep - as expected, a typical AFL/Victorian propensity.

Since the inception of the GCS in season 2011
  • both the blues and the saints have won 63 games & played in finals.
  • Lions have won 44 games and
  • GCS have won 43 games
Can only wonder why his 'generally pleased' statement with where the Lions are at might piss some people off. :rolleyes:

Apparently Daisy Pearce was on SEN this morning and at one point was talking about the Lions situation.....now what that meant I'm not sure. I saw it mentioned on the SEN Lineup thread, so have asked what was said. I'm assuming it might be the facilities for the girls/boys, don't know. Hopefully someone responds to my post..

Apparently Daisy Pearce was on SEN this morning and at one point was talking about the Lions situation.....now what that meant I'm not sure. I saw it mentioned on the SEN Lineup thread, so have asked what was said. I'm assuming it might be the facilities for the girls/boys, don't know. Hopefully someone responds to my post..
I heard that, not verbatim but I'll see how this old memory goes. She didn't talk about women's footy re the Lions.

She was giving the Lions a huge wrap, loves the way we are trying to play our footy, can see where we are trying get to re our game style, we have lots of great young talent. She is bullish about our future.

Daisy has a regular spot on SEN and I think she is great, talks a lot of commonsense and is knowledgeable on footy issues.

I heard that, not verbatim but I'll see how this old memory goes. She didn't talk about women's footy re the Lions.

She was giving the Lions a huge wrap, loves the way we are trying to play our footy, can see where we are trying get to re our game style, we have lots of great young talent. She is bullish about our future.

Daisy has a regular spot on SEN and I think she is great, talks a lot of commonsense and is knowledgeable on footy issues.

Yes, she was talking about how we were playing attacking footy and how the players would be enjoying playing that style, with I think 3 of our loses being the highest scoring ones of the season (or something like that). This was as opposed to other rebuilding clubs that were playing dour, defensive first strategies early in their rebuild, ie trying to stop the blowouts then learn how to win later, which would be less enjoyable. A good listen.

Yes, she was talking about how we were playing attacking footy and how the players would be enjoying playing that style, with I think 3 of our loses being the highest scoring ones of the season (or something like that). This was as opposed to other rebuilding clubs that were playing dour, defensive first strategies early in their rebuild, ie trying to stop the blowouts then learn how to win later, which would be less enjoyable. A good listen.

Yeah I heard it eoo and that just about sums it up

I do remember also that she commented that she thought they were being encouraged to take risks to try to win games as opposed to playing to keep the scoreboard in check.

:thumbsu:...thanks guys. Good to hear she spoke well of us.

I'm a fan of Daisy, not at first though, but she has really grown into her commentary roles.

The highs have been pretty obvious and well put in this thread already. The lows for me have been goalkicking and tackling. Too many times this year we have seen players slip out of tackles, race away and put us on the back foot. So it frustrates me seeing players in good position to make a tackle, fall off or or get pushed away. Id love to see an improvement in this area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back