The Cabinet Files

Remove this Banner Ad

You just couldn't make this stuff up can you? Who ever decided 'oh, I'll think I'll sell some filing cabinets that have been there for a long time', but without either a) checking out what was inside the cabinets, or b) destroying the files completely should be given his/her marching orders. The same applies to the person who handed them over to the ABC without permission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is just magnificant stupidity. What sort of circus are they running up there in that big building on the hill?

Some junior APS staff are going to get their asses kicked, probably not wholly deserving.
I said on another thread on these pages that I reckon there are a lot of people in the "spooks" world that aren't happy about the security and intelligence agencies in this country being all brought together into a "super-ministry" regardless of who the Minister responsible is. It being Dutton just adds to the cold shivers up the spine of many in that community as it should all of us and we may see a lot more of this type of thing happening between now and the next election.

Could we be seeing the Australian version of Watergate, which might bring down not just a prime minister, but a government as well?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...p/news-story/019a7b7706e97ee20f3fed96a13276f7

Behind a paywall, but some of the commentary from the rusted-on Abbott diehards in the comments section is astonishing. Literally suggesting ABC journos should be charged for not immediately returning the documents to the Government.
Yeah, I read that too and it's hilarious. Isn't that what journalists, real journalists are supposed to do, that is, expose the machinations of government, individuals, organisations?

The "lock 'em" idiots are basically saying that news organisations should only print what the government of the day wants them too: bloody morons!

Could we be seeing the Australian version of Watergate, which might bring down not just a prime minister, but a government as well?

Unlikely. While some of the things that people did in those documents are s**t, none of it is illegal unlike Watergate.

Yeah, I read that too and it's hilarious. Isn't that what journalists, real journalists are supposed to do, that is, expose the machinations of government, individuals, organisations?

The "lock 'em" idiots are basically saying that news organisations should only print what the government of the day wants them too: bloody morons!
They'd be the same idiots who cheered on Abbott when against all advice he released the Rudd era Cabinet documents to the pink batts RC. Lol at Rudd taking legal action against the ABC too, what a soft utensil.

Last edited:
This is just magnificant stupidity. What sort of circus are they running up there in that big building on the hill?

Some junior APS staff are going to get their asses kicked, probably not wholly deserving.

So the Minister or Department Head should be individually checking cabinets to ensure the staff first remember to empty them?

You'd be more on track to say that its a union issue because it wasnt a part of their job role to check, so they didnt do it. Or even more likely they followed a checklist, but the checklist didnt contain a tick box for "Ensure cabinets are empty".

As for Rudd, he is and always has been a princess.

So the Minister or Department Head should be individually checking cabinets to ensure the staff first remember to empty them?

You'd be more on track to say that its a union issue because it wasnt a part of their job role to check, so they didnt do it. Or even more likely they followed a checklist, but the checklist didnt contain a tick box for "Ensure cabinets are empty"..

If it wasn't part of their job role to check, then who's responsible for that omission?

Ultimate responsibility in such a scenario rests at pay grades far beyond a lowly filing clerk. If there are failings, they are failings of management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it wasn't part of their job role to check, then who's responsible for that omission?

Ultimate responsibility in such a scenario rests at pay grades far beyond a lowly filing clerk. If there are failings, they are failings of management.
I'm not sure of protocol but for sensitive documents like this surely there must be a finite number of copies and whoever is responsible for them should be able to tell you where they are at any one time.

Im sure it would be with management. But here is the thing, if you were getting rid of a cabinet and realised it was so heavy that there had to be stuff in it, would you tell someone? Or just move it anyway, because, you know, not your job to care?

I am calling BS on this fiasco.

There was a motive behind putting mixed administration files in a putative aluminium filing cabinet sent to the Salvo's furniture op-shop. There were files from both sides of aisle, so that can nix any motive to hurt on partisan political terms. Did The Age female political reporter spec out this potential purchaser of the cabinet, and how many degrees of separation is he/she from vested interest parties?

MaddAdam whats your take?

This will be hard to top as the best political story of the year. A cabinet leak from an actual cabinet - you couldn't even make this s**t up!

If he wasn't such a rank campaigner I'd almost feel bad for Dutton. It looked for all money like it was him leaking against Abbott and Morrison.

It's just a massive shame that this country still has such a disgusting attitude towards asylum seekers, because that Morrison story should still be on the front page of every paper in the country, at least until we find out whether ASIO acceded to his request. Depending on the answer to that question, it could've - and arguably should've - ended his political career.

This will be hard to top as the best political story of the year. A cabinet leak from an actual cabinet - you couldn't even make this s**t up!

If he wasn't such a rank campaigner I'd almost feel bad for Dutton. It looked for all money like it was him leaking against Abbott and Morrison.

It's just a massive shame that this country still has such a disgusting attitude towards asylum seekers, because that Morrison story should still be on the front page of every paper in the country, at least until we find out whether ASIO acceded to his request. Depending on the answer to that question, it could've - and arguably should've - ended his political career.

That or he's leaked it to wedge the ABC

does not meet the smell test.

someone in the enforcement agencies bureaucratic circles seeking to access(creep) new powers that will not be rolled back, cos gov't does not rescind laws. ???

and fukcin ABC doing their bit to enable such creeping laws over us, when the story should have been shelved cos of this overt ulterior motive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back