Opinion The Caleb Conundrum

Where do you hope to see Caleb play most of his footy in 2023?

• Defense

• Midfield

• Wing

• Forward line

• Footscray

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I'll spare you the long post here - I think we all understand Caleb Daniel's strengths and weaknesses pretty well.

Daniel has been an excellent half back for us for many years, with his distribution off that line vital in our offensive system. The rise of Dale and Richards and the demise of our midfield's defensive intent, though, has both reduced our dependency on him offensively and increased how exposed he is defensively.

That said, where do you hope to see Daniel play most of his footy next season, and why?

I am an advocate for trying CD as our classic sixth forward who comes up to the contest after the bounce. I think in a fixed wing/mid position he is too easy to exploit overhead, but we have a need for more skill in our front half.

I'll spare you the long post here - I think we all understand Caleb Daniel's strengths and weaknesses pretty well.

Daniel has been an excellent half back for us for many years, with his distribution off that line vital in our offensive system. The rise of Dale and Richards and the demise of our midfield's defensive intent, though, has both reduced our dependency on him offensively and increased how exposed he is defensively.

That said, where do you hope to see Daniel play most of his footy next season, and why?

I am an advocate for trying CD as our classic sixth forward who comes up to the contest after the bounce. I think in a fixed wing/mid position he is too easy to exploit overhead, but we have a need for more skill in our front half.
Deep forward for me, Great at crumbing and an excellent kick.

Great question with many alternative answers.

My view comes from looking not just Caleb's best role but the best role for the team.

Caleb alone small forward who can push up high and defend exits from our forward line amd offensively deliver in deep or score himself.

From the team point of view would love to see Dale push to the wing where his height, speed and depth of kicking would make him at least as dangerous as Isacc Smith. If this was to occur there is a role for Caleb as a high defender unless someone other than Richards develops next season

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d have him as a genuine utility this year, probably start him at high HFF pushing up into the contest as he does his best work in congestion. But I think he can play a number of roles and he’s one I’m happy to shift through a number of roles (whilst most players stay in their permanent roles)

Ie if Dale or Richards is struggling and we’re not getting much drive from HB move him back there to help. He can take genuine on ball minutes if we need something different, can run a wing for a short period of time if needed, if our midfield is getting pummelled can send him behind the contest as a general sweeper etc

I wouldn’t limit him to one role.

I agree with what you’ve said. Ideally we would have a medium defender on the list to replace Caleb in defence that can play tall/small and offer a bit of run with Dale & Richards our two main ball users. Maybe it’s Crozier? Maybe Williams has a big offseason and returns to defence? A back 7 of Jones, Keath, Gardner, Williams/Crozier, Dale, Richards & Duryea feels a lot more balanced.

As for Caleb, I’d like to see him move to half forward as the extra around stoppages. We’ve used Smith & Treloar in that role previously which may be freed up more now with more centre bounce time time available. I really don’t like Caleb on the wing as I think he’ll be exposed for height and pace.

One of our best 22 undoubtedly, but not in defence anymore. The negatives outweigh the positives (and probably have done for a while now). Dale and Richards can distribute the ball effectively enough.

I'd be happy for him to play anywhere else, provided he's not going to be exposed. I'm a little concerned that the wing won't play to his strengths and oppositions teams would stream down that side of the field, but would be interesting to see how he went. I'd probably look at some sort of high half-forward role, hopefully getting some ball out of clearances in the attacking half and using his smarts and foot skills to provide us scoring opportunities.

People seriously underrate what a weapon CD is off half back. The coaches don't.

Played a few games less than Dale and Richards this year but still finished well ahead in the CSM.

He's still our #1 gun off half back and such a threat with that little bit of time and space.

Do not move

Just Dale and Richards is not enough for our rebound. Richards' main mindset is to defend. When he does get the ball in hand, he can break lines however I don't think he has anywhere near the creativity or attacking instincts of Dale or Daniel. I worry with only Dale and Richards there, if Dale is taken out of the game through a defensive forward we don't have enough drive. I believe this was shown in several games this year. We need all three options back there still or we get clogged down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel has been pretty ineffective everytime he plays anywhere but in defense. It's defense or VFL for him i reckon.

That was because he was getting swarmed by at least 2 players every time he got near the ball this year. The opposition knew exactly how to negate his impact on the backline.

Just Dale and Richards is not enough for our rebound. Richards' main mindset is to defend. When he does get the ball in hand, he can break lines however I don't think he has anywhere near the creativity or attacking instincts of Dale or Daniel. I worry with only Dale and Richards there, if Dale is taken out of the game through a defensive forward we don't have enough drive. I believe this was shown in several games this year. We need all three options back there still or we get clogged down.
Can always shift him back if that’s the case though, you should be able to get enough drive out of Dale & Richards from your back 6. What we lack is wingers that can push back and help out the defence in transitioning the ball.

Would also help having Darcy there as a genuine long attacking kick when switching - we’ve had the likes of Gardner, Cordy, Keath as our talls who all genuinely suck at moving the ball offensively so we rely so heavily on our playmakers.

Could be wrong but off the top of my head I don’t think too many teams would have two genuinely offence only defenders who are as poor defensively as Daniel & Dale. Even JJ at his best was pretty reasonable in the air and obviously athletic when forced to defend so never got found out too badly

I would have CD at every centre bounce at the defence side of the circle he is a good reader of play and a 1 touch player.
To many sides walk the ball out of centre with no Bulldog on the defensive side.

Keep his vision and deft touch with the ball in defence. Just bar him from kicking the ball in. I can live with dale kicking in and making the occasional howler because he usually gets it beyond 50. Caleb has his howlers much closer to goal because he doesn’t have the pace or the same penetration with his kick ins.

I want him out of defence, especially with our defensive fragilities we need all the aerial support we can get.

Maybe he can play that high half forward role, especially when we have lots of marking ability up forward. Smith more in the middle, Caleb high half forward.

I had him
Out the door but he re-signed. Not sure happy with that for so long.
Bench is my guess and covering a variety of roles.
Whilst he could be dangerous as a small forward, he also deems room to spin around 4-5 times before kicking. Not sure there’s enough room in the pockets for that.
If Keath is fit and raring to go, I can see us going tall down back with just Ed and Dale for speed. Maybe CD starts wing and pushes down back a little to cover Ed or Dale when they head of on one of their 2-4 bounce jaunts .
Then have JUH or naughty pushing higher towards a wing. Naughty is quite agile and would love to see him roaming a bit more next year. He also isn’t the worst with his delivery.

Richards and Dale with Duryea as the smalls in the backline. I'm fine with Daniel drifting there every now and then but not as a set backman

Back