Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

I very much doubt Willo left because people expressed opinions - he wasn't that thin skinned.

My sense - and I could be wrong - is that he just got to a point that he found trawling through the bitching and arguing to find sensible conversations too difficult.

I find 'ignore' a very useful function. You can weed out those that play the man, and / or those with superiority complexes.
It's exactly why I (briefly) spat the dummy and left.
Now I'm back (to everyone's delight! ;) ) with a whole new attitude of not getting worked up over the sadder elements.
Have to disagree with you about PB and and the so-called CatFan though.
Their sole reason for being was crapping all over Guthrie in the most disgusting manner.
Now that Guth has reached his potential, there is no reason for them to exist.
Agree with you about Willo, and hope we see him back soon.

Now I'm back (to everyone's delight! ;) ) with a whole new attitude of not getting worked up over the sadder elements.
Their sole reason for being was crapping all over Guthrie in the most disgusting manner.

Yep, pick your battles, and if someone provokes you analyse their reasoning and motivation before you reply. And only answer the sensible ones.

You go alright here 😊 so hang around.

I just assumed Tassie ran out of internet

I find 'ignore' a very useful function. You can weed out those that play the man, and / or those with superiority complexes.
Just want to highlight this. In post-mod life I’m enjoying the board more than ever now that I have a large number of time wasters on ignore. Sometimes I can’t see what all the fuss is about in a discussion and I realise that others are getting sucked into a time wasting discussion with one such poster. Meanwhile I’m blissfully unaware and can save my energy for those who make interesting observations and are good to interact with.

He was good. I dunno why he left but I do doubt it was from people stating their opinions.
I think it's better. I didn't like that dislike button at first and still don't know how to use it, but it's good.
Instead of getting on and insulting someone if you don't agree with what they say you can just press
Nup, don't like it. No argument.

Hold down the like button then added options appear for the other options. Discovered it by accident one day.

Sunce when did you Guthrie bash?? Didnt think you had time inbetween bashing scott

Just want to highlight this. In post-mod life I’m enjoying the board more than ever now that I have a large number of time wasters on ignore. Sometimes I can’t see what all the fuss is about in a discussion and I realise that others are getting sucked into a time wasting discussion with one such poster. Meanwhile I’m blissfully unaware and can save my energy for those who make interesting observations and are good to interact with.

Totally agree CE.

It saves a lot of time, and wasted energy.

Has Guthrie deserved criticism in the past?

Absolutely.

Has Guthrie made considerable progress as a player in the last year or so?

Absolutely.

I can't see why everyone can't agree that he had some deficiencies in the past, and done extremely well to overcome them since.

I just don't understand the need for the personal point scoring undertaken in this thread. The personal attacks on Guthrie's appearance and character weren't justified, but there's nothing wrong with forming an opinion on a player's ability - based on the available evidence at the time - and then being proven wrong.

We've all had it happen to us.

I think when you have posters who seem to be so set against a player that they can only criticise, while failing to acknowledge the positives or provide praise when it's due, is what peeves a lot of people off. And the same goes for any attitude towards a player or coach. Be humble, admit you were wrong and be mature enough to admit it. This board would be a better place for it.

Hold down the like button then added options appear for the other options. Discovered it by accident one day.

Sunce when did you Guthrie bash?? Didnt think you had time inbetween bashing scott
Done plenty of Guth bashing.
I am capable of abusing 2 Club servants on the internet at once.

wait....

you're not a mod anymore...

oh dear.

:eek:

Go Catters

I now have a "virtual" ignore.
Still get to laugh at the nuffiness but don't bother engaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad he's proved me wrong. He's made us a better side doing it.

So credit where credit is due. Fine season indeed.

He always had it in him. There was a reason they gave him #29. :thumbsu:

My 2 groats
The criticisms, while valid opinions, would be more tolerable if they didn't appear on every other page in every thread regardless of the topic. Goes for opinions that are pro as well. We know what you think, don't bore us or pollute threads repeating ad nauseam thanks.

Has Guthrie deserved criticism in the past?

Absolutely.

Has Guthrie made considerable progress as a player in the last year or so?

Absolutely.

I can't see why everyone can't agree that he had some deficiencies in the past, and done extremely well to overcome them since.

I just don't understand the need for the personal point scoring undertaken in this thread. The personal attacks on Guthrie's appearance and character weren't justified, but there's nothing wrong with forming an opinion on a player's ability - based on the available evidence at the time - and then being proven wrong.

We've all had it happen to us.
And that was the issue people had with the critiquing of Guthrie. While I didn't agree with a lot of the Guthrie criticism, as long as there was some logical basis (be it stats, eye test or even a well thought out argument) then fair play.

But having a crack at Guthrie because of his hair or because he chose to do part-time work at an ice creamery or went the fist bump (guy was seriously ahead of his time in this Covid-19 world :cool:) rather than a hi-5 is simply putting your bias on full display.

Glad to see him have some success and get recognised for the season he put together.

Last edited:
Lot of people on here showed how clueless they are with this bloke, funny what happens when you play someone in their best position.

He was good. I dunno why he left but I do doubt it was from people stating their opinions.
I think it's better. I didn't like that dislike button at first and still don't know how to use it, but it's good.
Instead of getting on and insulting someone if you don't agree with what they say you can just press
Nup, don't like it. No argument.
I have noticed lots more personal attacks lately and wondered when the mods might step in. This COVID bullshit has got a lot of us fed up to the back teeth but there is a line on the personal s**t that is being crossed too often IMO.

I have noticed lots more personal attacks lately and wondered when the mods might step in. This COVID bullshit has got a lot of us fed up to the back teeth but there is a line on the personal sh*t that is being crossed too often IMO.
Is that you Emma? Please no chop chop I'll tell you where I've hidden Steed.

So pleased for Guth and he deserves it. Glad to see many here also acknowledging that. I must have missed Patrick's self-flagellation as there were a number of pages I jumped. Big test for Cam to stand up in the finals.

I'm going to defend Willo here. One of the better, respected posters who graced this site, and who unfortunately appears to no longer contribute. Shame.

Willo made a call based on his judgement of the available evidence at the time, and there's no shame in that. Guthrie has improved considerably since then, and Willo would be the first to acknowledge that.

I mean...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back