Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

Takes the game on, makes good decisions, good skills, kicks goals, takes contested marks. Loving his year!

AA form and will at very least be in the squad and seriously discussed for a spot. We definitely wont have joel or paddy in the team this year, so might see guthrie and menegola in... Amazing shift and one alot on here take as a great sign for our future

How has it taken him so long to find this consistent form? Bringing it every game now. May it long continue.

The criticism he's received until the start of the 2020 season has been deserved......as is the acclaim he is receiving now.

Well done to him for turning it around.

The criticism he's received until the start of the 2020 season has been deserved......as is the acclaim he is receiving now.

Well done to him for turning it around.

Cant say I agree...at least with the vehemence of his critics.

Either those people's opinions were rendered myopic by the rhetoric surrounding Guthrie, or they wouldn't or couldn't see a decent player if it was served up on a platter.

Interesting that those who led the campaign against Cam Guthrie are now nowhere to be seen.

Either those people's opinions were rendered myopic by the rhetoric surrounding Guthrie, or they wouldn't or couldn't see a decent player if it was served up on a platter.

Interesting that those who led the campaign against Cam Guthrie are now nowhere to be seen.

Yes, the vehemence went over the top in some quarters, but the fact remains that he performed poorly for some time, and some criticism was justified.

True.

The unique situation here is the startling divide between how he was playing pre 2020, how he's playing now, and how 'quickly' that difference occurred.

Because he's been allowed to play his natural game, rather than sacrificing it for a role-playing one that doesn't show off his ability (and invokes unfair criticisms, despite coaches and players alike attesting to just how important his defensive midfield game was for them just last year)

Because he's been allowed to play his natural game, rather than sacrificing it for a role-playing one that doesn't show off his ability (and invokes unfair criticisms, despite coaches and players alike attesting to just how important his defensive midfield game was for them just last year)

Perhaps....... Though it doesn't explain how or why he seems harder at the ball this year, and less inclined to hang back or take a short step........

Anyhow, all credit to him for raising the bar this year. Been good to watch.

Perhaps....... Though it doesn't explain how or why he seems harder at the ball this year, and less inclined to hang back or take a short step........

Anyhow, all credit to him for raising the bar this year. Been good to watch.
Seems is the operative word. Some people look for certain signs and remember nothing but that when they spot it. He is always class and now playing as a mid, so gets a lot of the ball. Previously he was a role player, less in the action. Some of the things he was called last years by several posters was just embarrassing reading.

Seems is the operative word. Some people look for certain signs and remember nothing but that when they spot it. He is always class and now playing as a mid, so gets a lot of the ball. Previously he was a role player, less in the action. Some of the things he was called last years by several posters was just embarrassing reading.

Yeah, people get carried away at times.

Whilst I think it was normal and reasonable to question the quality of Cam's footy before now - full disclosure, I did it - its gotta be said that he's lifted his game to a whole new level this year and he deserves the accolades for doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it says the opposite,I for one like many was wishing we had 2 Cam Guthries back in 2016,where the hell has he been for 3 years and how could so many here have been happy with what he was serving up in that time,we are not look at that same player in any shape or form.

I think it says the opposite,I for one like many was wishing we had 2 Cam Guthries back in 2016,where the hell has he been for 3 years and how could so many here have been happy with what he was serving up in that time,we are not look at that same player in any shape or form.

This is the remarkable thing.

For the last 3 years the quality of his footy was definitely below par, and at times he looked scared of the contact.

Now, in the blink of a pre-2020 season, he's running hard, extracting the ball fearlessly, moving the ball with precision, and leading the way for the club and AFL.

I'm pleased - delighted - that he's reached such an elite level of performance, but can't help wondering where was all this before, and how / what / why it was turned around so suddenly.

Attitude surely has a lot to do with it.

I got Menegola the most consistent so far this season but Guthrie has put himself right back at the top after last night's performance.

Where's it come from?
Why the sudden consistency to his game? Perhaps Kelly was preventing him from taking over the reigns.

Again, never been any doubt about Guthrie's ability.
I hope he can play like this if we play finals.
If we had this kind of output from he and Menegola in the prelim last year, we may have gone through to the grand final.
I had heard he was carrying soft tissue injuries over the last two years, although I have zero evidence to back it up....

I had heard he was carrying soft tissue injuries over the last two years, although I have zero evidence to back it up....

Probably makes sense.
He's an exceptionally gifted athlete. Would love to know what he runs for 100 metre sprints. I remember Murdoch had scintillating speed and it seems Guthrie has maintained his.
Those fast twitch fibers in players tend to have a lot of soft tissue concerns over their journey.

Probably makes sense.
He's an exceptionally gifted athlete. Would love to know what he runs for 100 metre sprints. I remember Murdoch had scintillating speed and it seems Guthrie has maintained his.
Those fast twitch fibers in players tend to have a lot of soft tissue concerns over their journey.
Yeah, it kind of fits - you don't just come from nowhere and get to Danger level, which is where his inside work is at the moment. Was told by a friend of a friend sort of thing, so take it with a grain of salt. But I think he has always had the skill and decision making ability.

He's slotted straight into the Tim Kelly role and has been every bit as good as Kelly was. One of the biggest problems with Guthrie IMO has been he's had to play a range of utility roles that he's not really suited too. All of a sudden he's given an inside role where he's the point man that can hit a pack at speed and he's been a star.

Served up close to a decade of slop but has finally turned a corner.

If only CS had the balls to drop him earlier in his career to give him the kick in the arse he needed.

Was average last night but has had a very good season. Finally putting his body on the line and playing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back