Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

He was an average player for 6-7 years and suddenly turns into our best player within 12 months.

It’s Crazy!!

I can’t recall another cats player who has had such a jump in ability and output so late in their career.

Hawkins? His career took off in his mid twenties but that’s expected for a KPF

GAJ? Slow start but was very good by age 23-24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was an average player for 6-7 years and suddenly turns into our best player within 12 months.

It’s Crazy!!

I can’t recall another cats player who has had such a jump in ability and output so late in their career.

Hawkins? His career took off in his mid twenties but that’s expected for a KPF

GAJ? Slow start but was very good by age 23-24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfair.
He was a role player.
Would do anything the MC asked him, to the possible detriment of his own stats, but he ALWAYS showed class and skill.
I have been a long-term appreciator, and the last 2 seasons is just a very good player peaking, and playing as a mid.
Having played those other roles has probably been of huge upside for him- he looms now as the BEST 2-way runner in the comp.There are none better.

Last edited:
Unfair.
He was a role player.
Would do anything the MC asked him, to the possible detriment of his own stats, but he ALWAYS showed class and skill.
I have been a long-term appreciator, and the last 2 seasons is just a very good player peaking, and playing as a mid.
Having played those other roles has probably been of huge upside for him- he looms now as the BEST 2-way runner in the comp.There are none better.
Agree. I still remember being impressed with Guthrie in that horrible final against Fremantle at Katdinia Park in 2013. He was probably the most composed player in the team that day, playing in his first final, and when most of his experienced teammates fell apart under Freo’s pressure. He’s always played the role asked of him, for the good of the tram, so I’m glad he’s finally getting his chance to shine as an attacking inside mid.

43 touches (15 contested), 161m meters gained. 3.7m per possession. Almost 2/3 of his possessions weren't contested too, so he had plenty of space throughout. Amazing stats right there. Truly is Geelong's best player as others are saying, forget Dangerfield. Guthrie is Geelong's best midfielder.

Guthrie ranks 6th in the league this year for possessions, 254th for meters gained. While other clubs are making sense and use of the new rules, Guthrie leads the way in going sideways and backwards. Good way to rack up touches though, doing solid justice to Chris Scott's methods - he enjoys us looking like a one paced mess whenever Dangerfield is absent.

Guthrie is a special brand of player, very, very special. Who else could take 7 years to find the footy, then actually do so little with it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

43 touches (15 contested), 161m meters gained. 3.7m per possession. Almost 2/3 of his possessions weren't contested too, so he had plenty of space throughout. Amazing stats right there. Truly is Geelong's best player as others are saying, forget Dangerfield. Guthrie is Geelong's best midfielder.

Guthrie ranks 6th in the league this year for possessions, 254th for meters gained. While other clubs are making sense and use of the new rules, Guthrie leads the way in going sideways and backwards. Good way to rack up touches though, doing solid justice to Chris Scott's methods - he enjoys us looking like a one paced mess whenever Dangerfield is absent.

Guthrie is a special brand of player, very, very special. Who else could take 7 years to find the footy, then actually do so little with it?

You’d have been better copping the tag and saying nothing. Because boy is this piffle

Why not tell us all you're really a keyboard pyromaniac. You are here to light a few spot-fires, and come back later to see the reaction. It worked for a while, but this last post of yours takes some beating.
So I conclude you are really just after some entertainment, and that in reality, you appreciate CGuthrie as much as the rest of us do.
He is close to THE BEST 2-WAY RUNNER in the comp, and easily our best the past 2 seasons.
Admittedly you are consistent; that's about it.

It worked for a while, but this last post of yours takes some beating.

See, but as with this last post of mine, none of you can be specific as to why my point is invalid. Nothing has changed.

And yes, since a couple of people tagged me in the thread, I thought I'd see how many of you would take the bait. CatEmpire will always be my little bunny, many of you fall in line behind him.

Fun times, until people take it too seriously of course. We won't agree on Guthrie, ever. That's OK.

See, but as with this last post of mine, none of you can be specific as to why my point is invalid. Nothing has changed.

And yes, since a couple of people tagged me in the thread, I thought I'd see how many of you would take the bait. CatEmpire will always be my little bunny, many of you fall in line behind him.

Fun times, until people take it too seriously of course. We won't agree on Guthrie, ever. That's OK.
Because metres gained in isolation is pretty meaningless for an inside midfielder. A lot of his clearance exits would have been backwards and produced a negative stat. If he had heaps of turnovers or a low kick to handball ratio it would indicate he was spudding it. But he had neither.

It's his inconsistency that divides posters here.

He's like a cork in the ocean..... There are times when he bobs to the top but times where he can't be seen.
As you intimated, but an interesting point, a cork in the ocean is ALWAYS up the top, whether you see it or not. Belief and love of the beauty of Guthrie- is in the eye of the beholder?
But the last 2 years has been evident to everyone, even Patrick Bateman, who has been conspicuous by his absence.

He's definitely an elite midfielder these days.
Wonderful transformation from inconsistent flashes of brilliance to domination on a weekly basis.
Just needs to ensure he maintains that consistency when the finals roll around. Plays a blinder one week, mediocre the next (finals).

3 Words Patrick.
I WAS WRONG. You can do it. Nobody here knows you.
Just admit that you are glad he is our player and that he is playing as well as you could have ever requested.
Deeeeep down, you are a fan, but sometime ago, he must have let you down.
Welcome back, and enjoy watching a Cats mid (Guthrie)at the peak of his career.

Best thing is, apart from his undoubted footy skills, he is reputed to be a top quality person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back