List Mgmt. The Campbell Conundrum.

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's comfortable playing VFL and he's not demanding a heap against the salary cap, I don't see what the conundrum is. Not every one of your 45 listed players have to be either best 22, or young, provided their salary cap hit is appropriate.

Delisting Campbell can’t happen. He’s contracted. Has played his best football for us when paired with Roughead in the ruck.

With Boyd and a Trengove in the team offering versatility and Campbell offering none, his only chance of game time is with injuries. I’d be playing Campbell forward a lot in the VFL and let Tim get his ruck minutes up. Tom can pinch hit but if he’s only contracted for this year, then I’d imagine it’s his last year as a dog.

It's important to remember that ruckmen often hit their peak at the 28-30 age bracket. I think he's got room for improvement. He's a big fella and shows a healthy aggression which could see him monster some immature rucks in the next few years, especially as the Goldsteins, Martin age group start to retire and he comes up against rucks younger and lighter than him.

If he can stay fit and start clunking a few marks he'll be more than handy.

If he's comfortable playing VFL and he's not demanding a heap against the salary cap, I don't see what the conundrum is. Not every one of your 45 listed players have to be either best 22, or young, provided their salary cap hit is appropriate.
is the conundrum not that he could be taking a spot on the list better used by retaining Crameri?

is the conundrum not that he could be taking a spot on the list better used by retaining Crameri?
But then you could say that for any one of the 20+ non-best 22 players on our list - why pick out Campbell in that regard?

But then you could say that for any one of the 20+ non-best 22 players on our list - why pick out Campbell in that regard?
Of course, but I think Campbell stands out because:
1. He is in the last year of his contract
2. He plays a role which now has reasonable depth on our list via Trengove/Schache additions (not saying Schache to the ruck but it gives us more freedom to play Boyd there if Roughy is unavailable) and another English preseason
3. He is unlikely to ever be best 22
4. He is unlikely to be of much use to the club at all beyond 2018, as English continues to develop

It's not a clear-cut decision imo but there is a discussion worth having

2. He plays a role which now has reasonable depth on our list via Trengove/Schache additions (not saying Schache to the ruck but it gives us more freedom to play Boyd there if Roughy is unavailable) and another English preseason
We drafted a forward and a back, that is not really ruck coverage. Just because Trengove pinch-hits there occasionally and played there a few years ago he seems to have been drafted primarily as a defender, where he's played his best football.

Roughy has completed one full year of senior football and had injury issues every other year. Boyd we're not even sure is a ruckman.
English isn't ready.
Not only do we keep Campbell, I can see him playing seniors this year.

We drafted a forward and a back, that is not really ruck coverage. Just because Trengove pinch-hits there occasionally and played there a few years ago he seems to have been drafted primarily as a defender, where he's played his best football.

Roughy has completed one full year of senior football and had injury issues every other year. Boyd we're not even sure is a ruckman.
English isn't ready.
Not only do we keep Campbell, I can see him playing seniors this year.
That's certainly the other side of the coin. Comes down to how you see our ruck stocks and how you see our forward stocks, imo.

Personally, I think Boyd is more than capable of playing in the ruck and cite his game against Geelong as some evidence of this (his best for the season, imo). Z Smith did have a big game on that night too though, although I think the bulk of his success came from rucking against Cloke.

Knocks/concerns on Roughy are certainly valid. With the Dogs trying to trade Campbell to Brisbane though, you probably assume they're confident he will return to his best (something like his game vs Essendon).

Trengove played as Port's no. 1 ruckman in 2016 and finished 7th in their best and fairest. I agree we picked him up primarily as a defender but his versatility and competitiveness were also cited as key factors. Also, we have reasonable depth down back (Adams, Cordy, Wood, Morris, Young, Roberts).

I agree that English isn't ready though, it would be a worst-case scenario to rely on him, if we move Campbell.

Ultimately, imo, it's a question of whether you keep Crameri (assuming fit/not cooked etc.) to address our most pressing need (goal scorers/genuine forwards) or keep Campbell because (1) you don't rate the protection if Roughy is injured and/or (2) you don't rate Roughy as being much better than Campbell

Answer is not clear but both sides have valid arguments, I think

Last edited:
I'm looking at it more in the sense that we have 4 x ruck/resting forwards
Roughead
Boyd
Campbell
English
With Campbell being injury backup for Roughy and Boyd
And English still developing his game in the VFL
Not expecting much in the way of goals from any of them
So......Roughead/Boyd combination to start round 1
and Campbell/English combination in VFL

Therefore I see Campbell as being a valuable part of the team and I can see him getting a lot of game time next year

I just don't think the club makes list management decisions based around the possible structure of our VFL team.

Again. You are totally missing the point. How to we get experience into English, Schache, NMM and Green if The likes of Campbell; Red; Cloke are taking major roles in the 2’s ? They sure should not make List Management decisions based on VFL, but they definitely need to make VFL decisions based on List Management and Development. There is a huge difference. For mine; one of Cloke; Red or Campbell need(ed) to go.

I’m also of the belief that BTC could break out this season (he is perfect age for a ruckman to stand up); and suggested in OP you won’t get any better value for a player of his type. Cloke does offer an experienced head if wo do cop injuries, which leaves Red. Where does he fit ? I doubt he gets any better, has his knee issues, ( yes it’s also unfair delisting an injured player, but this is pro sport ) and we just invested in a highly rated young KPF. Then there is also Crameri (possibly). Prior to trade week I wanted to keep them all. With the new list additions and likely retention of Crameri, imho we have 1 too many B grade talls.

Remember running into Tom's parents after the grand final and they informed us he would be a Bulldog for life and wants to be a one club player
I love that he is of that opinion, but I just feel like he will be best suited playing elsewhere. Let's see what happens this year but if he is starved of opportunities again he surely must leave. He has the skills to make it elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see it as a problem really. English needs to add more strings to his bow and playing forward will help with his competitiveness in one on one contests, as well as his ability to present and impact without ball in hand. He needs time in the ruck, absolutely, but it's not as if there's nothing to gain from getting some experience in other areas.

Campbell and he will share the ruck load in the VFL with the likes of Mullenger-McHugh/Cloke/Red/Schache chipping in occasionally. At least until such a time where one of them is required in the seniors/injured. We need the coverage that Campbell provides, at least until English can hold his own, and I don't think that this is a high price to pay.

I’m also of the belief that BTC could break out this season (he is perfect age for a ruckman to stand up); and suggested in OP you won’t get any better value for a player of his type. Cloke does offer an experienced head if wo do cop injuries, which leaves Red. Where does he fit ? I doubt he gets any better, has his knee issues, ( yes it’s also unfair delisting an injured player, but this is pro sport ) and we just invested in a highly rated young KPF. Then there is also Crameri (possibly). Prior to trade week I wanted to keep them all. With the new list additions and likely retention of Crameri, imho we have 1 too many B grade talls.

Crameri isn't going to be retained.

We have no list spots

So Travis and the club seem to share my List assessment view. Trav told he’d have limited senior opportunities and seems set to retire. This can only help the fast tracking of Scache, English and NMM.

This puts balance back into the list

This suggests Crameri may have found an opening.

So Travis and the club seem to share my List assessment view. Trav told he’d have limited senior opportunities and seems set to retire. This can only help the fast tracking of Scache, English and NMM.

This puts balance back into the list

This suggests Crameri may have found an opening.

He's also being cut in our bold move to never score

He's also being cut in our bold move to never score

Or Mr Negative, we are putting faith in the youth. Boyd, Schache, Dale, Maclean, Daniel/Dahlhaus, with Dickson and Picken makes a handy forward line. Crameri May just play a role too. Lipinski I’m optimistic about. Is there anything you LIKE about our club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back