Analysis The Campo & Doc Clarke Dilemma thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't seem to matter how badly we get schooled in the clearances or how much the opposition midfield runs rings around us, we always somehow end up leading the clearances and contested ball

It doesn't seem to matter how badly we get schooled in the clearances or how much the opposition midfield runs rings around us, we always somehow end up leading the clearances and contested ball

Our stoppage system is highly geared towards winning the contest and this is where our numbers are always good. Thommo is the perfect example of the mindset of Doc/Campo. His clearance and contested numbers are ok, but there's a lot of midfield work to do outside of stoppages. He does none. There's plenty of posters here who quote stoppages numbers as soon as midfield is discussed. Sadly, there's a lot of free running that occurs in football, hopefully we eventually realise that.

It's not just about winning the clearance is what you do with tHat 1st and 2nd possession that counts

Our focus is narrow then and doesn't encompass every facet of running an effective engine room.

My kingdom for an "effective clearances" stat

Two years ago we were considered to have one of the best midfields in the competition yet we still struggled due to poor set ups, poor disposals and just didn't capitalize.

I believe there is a whole lot of seduction about our midfield stats. So much of our centre and stoppage extraction is half worked, defensively haphazard hack efforts. How we manage what we do is a wonder in itself. Oh for an outside game set up and execution!

I believe there is a whole lot of seduction about our midfield stats. So much of our centre and stoppage extraction is half worked, defensively haphazard hack efforts. How we manage what we do is a wonder in itself. Oh for an outside game set up and execution!
I was getting excited after watching the first few games of the season where it looked like our outside game was developing. Was thinking the midfield structure mediocrity was finally coming to an end. By the end of the year, it was hack kick forward after hack kick forward. May as well have a year 9 middle school footy coach as your midfield coach if we're resorting to that.

If they survive again this year then they've both pretty much had the approval of 2 highly rated past midfield coaches in Walsh and Pyke.

Watching the way the Sturt midfield destroyed us was instructive. They were so well drilled compared to us. Not only was their setup at centre bounces and at stoppages superior, the leading patterns of their forwards made our defenders' day damned difficult.
We're supposedly the pros, but we get shown up. I don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was getting excited after watching the first few games of the season where it looked like our outside game was developing. Was thinking the midfield structure mediocrity was finally coming to an end. By the end of the year, it was hack kick forward after hack kick forward. May as well have a year 9 middle school footy coach as your midfield coach if we're resorting to that.
This is where a fit Seedsman and an extra preseason in Milera will help next year.

Watching the way the Sturt midfield destroyed us was instructive. They were so well drilled compared to us. Not only was their setup at centre bounces and at stoppages superior, the leading patterns of their forwards made our defenders' day damned difficult.
Nothing to play for in the 1st's since we dipped ou of the finals. For an AFL listed player, an SANFL premiership is sloppy 2nds.

Mattner for new mids coach.
Our mids play like Campo did, one way downhill skiers, wouldnt know defense if it bit em in the bum. Apologies to Sloane.

My kingdom for an "effective clearances" stat
Was just thinking that. Against Sydney we were reasonably close in clearances, but the difference in quality was glaringly obvious. We were throwing it on the boot and watching it sail into their CHB's arms, whilst they had Parker, Heeney and Kennedy actually spotting up targets.

Even in the early stages against North Melbourne it was a bit concerning how easily Ziebell managed to find so much room and time while we were just hacking it out.

Unknown quantity, but I like his media stuff. Certainly was a gun mid. Reckon maxlilly is right though, Bec Judd has a career in Melbourne she is good at. She wouldn't wanna leave you'd think.
50 minute plane ride. Fly in / fly out.:thumbsu::rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back