Discussion The Captaincy

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Looks like Geary has broken his leg which could mean a 12 month stint on the sidelines.

Ross has been filling in as captain but he isn't filling me with confidence as he hasn't been much of a leader either on or off the field this year.

Gresham is our captain in waiting but he's still too young and doesn't need the extra pressure just yet.

The obvious candidate for me is...

The Man of Steele.

95871fff260832a9ce30431e9c4544b6

He's tough and inspirational like all great St Kilda captains should be and speaks well in the media.

No brainer for me.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Carlisle is back after the bye, give it to him.

After his performance in 2018, he deserves it. I maintain he was the only player to give a s**t the entire year.

Otherwise, Steele would be a good choice. Geary had a good start of the year as captain, but lets not forget his form up until then was poor and was considered the worst captain in the league.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Obviously Ross will be captain whether we like it or not this season. Next season I still think it’s him because there is no obvious candidate. Don’t think Steele will be the person. Geary May only be out for 6 months anyway.

Olliver

Senior List
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s been confirmed as a fractured fibula which is the smaller bone in the lower leg - means he could actually play again this year depending on the severity and location. Very different to say Tom Mitchell who broke his tibia as well as his fibula.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Steele has dropped away this season, he needs to concentrate on his footy.

He's been better than Ross, made a big impact early today then dropped off, he's been pretty consistent for the most part this year though.

He's the sort of guy I reckon could rise to another level if we gave him the captaincy.

I would love for Membrey to get it. Bloke tries his heart out, takes big marks and can kick big goals.

Another candidate but you really have to be a great key forward to be captain like Riewoldt, Carey, Brown, Pavlich, Kernahan, Membrey isn't in that class.

He's been better than Ross, made a big impact early today then dropped off, he's been pretty consistent for the most part this year though.

He's the sort of guy I reckon could rise to another level if we gave him the captaincy.

Another candidate but you really have to be a great key forward to be captain like Riewoldt, Carey, Brown, Pavlich, Kernahan, Membrey isn't in that class.

I like Steele but he's a very quiet humble kid, I just can't see him being a real rev up leader so his footy has to do the talking and right now it's not saying enough.

Hanners looks like the most captain like material on our list right now but he's got to get on the park too. Ross has been s**t lately with out Stuv to take heat off him as well. Maybe get the big Marshall to be the new Sheriff in town. He's playing more like a captain than any of them. Or even Josh Battle as a left field option. Both of them are looking like the future and have a bit of swagger.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hard to make Hanners captain when he hasn't been playing and got dropped from the leadership group.

Marshall and Battle are potential leaders but too young and inexperienced like Gresham.

Another left field option would be Wilkie, he plays like a captain Shannon Hurn style but I've never heard him talk.

That's not a bad thing though, Mad Max was a great leader and he said f*** all.

Mad Max let his actions do the talking for the most part.

Looks like Geary has broken his leg which could mean a 12 month stint on the sidelines.

Ross has been filling in as captain but he isn't filling me with confidence as he hasn't been much of a leader either on or off the field this year.

Gresham is our captain in waiting but he's still too young and doesn't need the extra pressure just yet.

The obvious candidate for me is...

The Man of Steele.

95871fff260832a9ce30431e9c4544b6

He's tough and inspirational like all great St Kilda captains should be and speaks well in the media.

No brainer for me.

Gears should be back for the beginning of next year although possibly not with a whole pre season.
The fibula is the non weight bearing bone, so the better of the two to break.

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a result of the changes to the runners, aka, not having them, I think the captan needs to have strong tactical understanding. The ability to recognise the what the other team is doing and either stop it or exploit it.

IMO there is only one player on the least that seems to really have both the tactics and communication down, and that’s Hannas.

Happy to have seb for the rest of the year, but would ask Hannas to mentor him.

The other that seems to be very much a student of the game is Billings. He is also meant to be a bit of a pro away from on field. He got better when added to the leadership group, watch him do it again when given VC.

Talking of Captains , why did Geary say he was good to go when clearly he wasn't, he was trying to avoid contact with his leg every time he went near the ball and even worse he was limping when he ran on the ground , i feel sorry for him breaking his leg but to play was just stupid and selfish IMO

I've been saying it since the first "Who is captain after Roo?" thread popped up - Rotating captains.

It was a bloody brilliant idea. It takes nothing away from leaders like Geary and Ross but it pushes others to step up out of their comfort zone a little bit and really take ownership of a spot in the team.

We have 11 games left.

I would give 3 games to Steele, 3 games to Membrey, 3 games to Battle & the last 2 games to a retiring Nathan Brown.

Next year Membrey is captain.
2021 it's Steele
2022 it's Battle
2023 it's Clark or Coffield

I bet Geary is back early.

Carlisle -- has video snorting coke.
Hanneberey - hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet.
Steele --- Not sure he's captain material.
Membrey --- Perhaps. Not sure of his leadership qualities.
Most others too young. ( inc Battle /Marshall/ Gresham /Billings ).
Ross is better suited than Newnes i think .
Is Webster captain material?
We don't see the leadership side of things. From all accounts Geary is a good captain, but people here think he's a lousy captain because he's a defender who can have iffy disposal.
We only see their footy.

So Ross I think.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Gears should be back for the beginning of next year although possibly not with a whole pre season.
The fibula is the non weight bearing bone, so the better of the two to break.

I guess if it isn't a bad broken leg and there are no complications with his recovery he should be back at the start of next season but he's coming towards the end of his career anyway so we still need to look at potential captaincy candidates to replace him.

Talking of Captains , why did Geary say he was good to go when clearly he wasn't, he was trying to avoid contact with his leg every time he went near the ball and even worse he was limping when he ran on the ground , i feel sorry for him breaking his leg but to play was just stupid and selfish IMO

Yeah I said in the game day thread that he didn't look 100% and wasn't going in as hard as he normally would, pretty silly to rush him back before the bye.

That being said I don't think that contributed to his injury yesterday, that was just bad luck that could have happened any time.

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dropped away , Please explain
Steele averaged 28 touches a game in the last 8 weeks of 2018, included some big games where he was close to the best midfielder on the ground. He’s been consistently solid this year, but he still has another level to go to.. outside ball users will make Steele look a whole lot better, too many similar types in our rotation at the moment.

Last edited:
Back