Discussion The Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you watched Jack Billings play football?
He's obviously not dumb.
He's a very smart footballer.
If the other players don't respect him, maybe they should have a good hard look in the mirror, because he's a level above most of them.
I'd make billings captain and anyone who didn't like it can play at sandy.

Long captain? Lol too much wildfire.

I wouldn't call him dumb, but there's this great live footy show that is uploaded to Youtube once a week or whatever and at the start of the year they had Billings and Hannebery on it. The host asked Billings a few questions about the new players from the draft and it was so obvious he had no idea about any of them. Hannebery could talk about them all day, and was well educated on the new players to the team.
Spoke volumes about both players. I don't think Billings is captain material - and that's fine. Not everyone is. You want your captain to inspire the whole team, and I just can't see Billings doing that.

Go to the 10 minute mark to see what I'm talking about. It's a great show though, I enjoy the host and the format. It's well worth checking out.

Yup, Billings doesn’t look like captain material one bit to me. Very good footballer & may well be a very good on field leader but off the field when he’s doing media stand ups his performance is sub par. Not good for sponsors & stakeholders. You need your captain to be able to speak to all things with a high level of confidence & authority, which Billings does not. I like him just where he is, in the leadership group but not the head honcho.

I wouldn't call him dumb, but there's this great live footy show that is uploaded to Youtube once a week or whatever and at the start of the year they had Billings and Hannebery on it. The host asked Billings a few questions about the new players from the draft and it was so obvious he had no idea about any of them. Hannebery could talk about them all day, and was well educated on the new players to the team.
Spoke volumes about both players. I don't think Billings is captain material - and that's fine. Not everyone is. You want your captain to inspire the whole team, and I just can't see Billings doing that.
That show was done the same week, or the week after, the club did the list management night with all the new players so Hannebery had sat through introductions with all the draftees about three times so was about to regurgitate everything that was said about them on that night.

Billings just gets nervous speaking in front of crowds and cameras - his eyes start darting everywhere and looks like he is about to vomit. He would need enormous improvement in this area if he is ever going to be captain, but he is very dedicated to his teammates and knowing all about them - one or two of the new guys were even living with him at the time.

Yup, Billings doesn’t look like captain material one bit to me. Very good footballer & may well be a very good on field leader but off the field when he’s doing media stand ups his performance is sub par. Not good for sponsors & stakeholders. You need your captain to be able to speak to all things with a high level of confidence & authority, which Billings does not. I like him just where he is, in the leadership group but not the head honcho.

Totally. Have you heard the kid talk? Far out. He’s so unsure of himself. I listened to the ‘Talkin’ Jack with Jarryn’ podcast the other day and he’s just so immature and timid. Thought he would’ve grown up a bit by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That show was done the same week, or the week after, the club did the list management night with all the new players so Hannebery had sat through introductions with all the draftees about three times so was about to regurgitate everything that was said about them on that night.

Billings just gets nervous speaking in front of crowds and cameras - his eyes start darting everywhere and looks like he is about to vomit. He would need enormous improvement in this area if he is ever going to be captain, but he is very dedicated to his teammates and knowing all about them - one or two of the new guys were even living with him at the time.

Its something people learn, and get used to , but not everyone is good at it by the age of 23. I'd bet you'd see massive differences comparing some of the players early career and late career footy show appearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back