Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the premiership centre half forwards
1. Sticks.
2. Walls.
3. Maclure
4. Spalding/Fitzpatrick (1982)

Whitnall is only better than Spalding
How on earth do you get Sticks above Walls as a premiership CHF?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think Michael Jezz was trying to rank modern day Carlton CHFs who have won a premiership. Not their contributions to said premierships or # of flags.

So....Sticks vs Walls in a straight H2H comparison?

With no Disrespect to Rob, I think Sticks wins that clearly. Hell, the club even named Sticks the 2nd best Blue of all time...

I think Michael Jezz was trying to rank modern day Carlton CHFs who have won a premiership. Not their contributions to said premierships or # of flags.

With no Disrespect to Rob, I think Sticks wins that clearly. Hell, the club even named Sticks the 2nd best Blue of all time...
Closer than you think.

Pleased to see no one is capable of killing Bambi here.

#1 Bambi's mum gets killed, not him

#2 If someone DID shoot Ken Hunter, Kenny probably would have hobbled off to the interchange bench, rested for 2 minutes, got bandaged up and then played out the rest of the match....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I saw both players at the peak of their careers, I'd rank Sticks at Number 1 by a fair margin. Both were great contributors in finals but Sticks is ahead for mine over the totality of his career.

You make my arguements better than I do

Yeah, I don't think Sticks is MILES in front.

But I think almost everyone would pick Sticks.

Ie The votes would probably be a landslide, even if the talent/careers were not.
Not enough older people on this board. Lacks the vintage spirit. :cool: Having said that, i do have Stephen in front of Robert.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the club or John Elliot?
To me, Walls beats Kernahan, just watch him in the 1970 & 72 GF.
Sticks would be down my list of Carlton players that I have seen since regularly watching since 1965.
Off the top of my head, Nicholls, Jezza, Doull, Walls, Crane, SOS, Bradley, Williams.
If Kernahan had been a more reliable kick for goal then I would have rated him higher.
He is definitely not the best ever Carlton Captain. The best I have seen is John Nicholls, Jezza, then maybe Kernahan. Special mention to Ron Barassi whose guts, sheer determination and leadership, won us so many close games in 65, 66 and 1967.

Was that the club or John Elliot?
To me, Walls beats Kernahan, just watch him in the 1970 & 72 GF.
Sticks would be down my list of Carlton players that I have seen since regularly watching since 1965.
Off the top of my head, Nicholls, Jezza, Doull, Walls, Crane, SOS, Bradley, Williams.
If Kernahan had been a more reliable kick for goal then I would have rated him higher.
He is definitely not the best ever Carlton Captain. The best I have seen is John Nicholls, Jezza, then maybe Kernahan. Special mention to Ron Barassi whose guts, sheer determination and leadership, won us so many close games in 65, 66 and 1967.
Saw both of their full careers and Wallsy was a champ but Sticks had him covered. At Glenelg and Carlton he played 387 games and kicked 1028 goals. Of those 251 games and 738 goals were at Carlton (thats right he averaged nearly 3 goals a game at centre half forward). He won our goalkicking 11 times and was the captain of our team of the century, so some pretty handy judges thought that he definitely was the best Carlton captain in the 1900's. Ronald Dale's impact at Carlton was more as coach, he did play 50 games early on but didn't play in 1968 grand final and was retired by 1970. Jezza's import was as captain coach for part 78 and all 79 but his first stint as captain in 74 - 76 wasn't great. You could argue either big Nick or Sticks as our greatest captain. Gary Crane was the second player whose number I had on my back (Cliff Stewart the first) but I think that even he would laugh if you suggested that he was in the rare air that Sticks occupied as a player.

We finally reach the final H2H in the first round of voting.

Peter Dean vs Syd Jackson

For those of you who need a reminder...

Peter Dean
248 games
41 goals
Premiership player - 1987, 1995
Carlton Hall of Fame - 1998

Syd Jackson
136 games
165 goals
Premiership player - 1970, 1972
Indigenous Team of the Century member
Carlton Hall of Fame - 2006

dean.jpg VS jackson.jpg

Who are you voting for, and why?

We finally reach the final H2H in the first round of voting.

Peter Dean vs Syd Jackson

For those of you who need a reminder...

Peter Dean
248 games
41 goals
Premiership player - 1987, 1995
Carlton Hall of Fame - 1998

Syd Jackson
136 games
165 goals
Premiership player - 1970, 1972
Indigenous Team of the Century member
Carlton Hall of Fame - 2006

View attachment 882802 VS View attachment 882803

Who are you voting for, and why?

Going to go for Peter Dean on this one, probably moreso because I saw Dean and Syd is before my time, which is unfortunate because I have heard some great stories about Syd.

Back