Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashman very stiff not to win the Brownlow Medal in 1981, very classy and skilful rover, remember him kicking 4 or 5 goals at Victoria Park in 1978, might have been Jezza’s first game as coach and Ashman literally played at Full Forward, I was standing down the Yarra Falls end and Ashman was roving to himself, brilliant display up close.

Mckay made Nathan Buckley look ordinary on a few occasions as well.

I’m going to go with Ashman as I owe him for the money I won on him for finishing top 3 in Brownlow in 1981.

:thumbsu:

Only remember the last few years of Ashman but he was one of the best rovers of that era. His balance at ground level still sticks in the memory. McKay just ran straight lines from his first game till the last, one of those players who rarely made errors. I'll go with Ashman by a whisker.

Ashman

Have an 81 signed footy upstairs in the "pool room" and probably the reason I am a Blues fan 39 years later. Thanks Bomber Sheldon. Probably also the reason a few of the mosquitoes fleet will get votes from me. Don't remember many of the games from back then, but I do remember the beard playing well in a quality team and the highlights of Ashman are quality

Was absolutely stunned Ashman didn't win the Brownlow in '81. I seem to recall he won every newspaper award that year, or maybe the memory cheats?

He did win most media awards, but had Brownlow votes stolen from him by the many good players we had at those times. We regularly used to win the Team aggregate Brownlow votes in those days.

Even Cripps and Judd would struggle to poll 3 votes 5 games in a row, if they were playing in the 79-82 sides.

;)

Wow. Never seen this before. I do not get how a rover his height able to kick it this far.

We got into the habit of not looking at the goal umpire to see if we had a goal or not, we always waited for Percy's hands in the air followed by three or four jumps. He was absolute gold.

Robbo is still doing research on this one. I’m trying to see where Macca and Ashy fit in my best team from 1964 to 2020. Looking at this list just adds to my dilemma

I started compiling my best 7 defenders in my time to see where Macca fits in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doull wins comfortably, 35-1, and progresses through to round 3.

Next H2H up shortly.
We thank Mrs Maclure for her contribution.

Ashman very stiff not to win the Brownlow Medal in 1981, very classy and skilful rover, remember him kicking 4 or 5 goals at Victoria Park in 1978, might have been Jezza’s first game as coach and Ashman literally played at Full Forward, I was standing down the Yarra Falls end and Ashman was roving to himself, brilliant display up close.

Mckay made Nathan Buckley look ordinary on a few occasions as well.

I’m going to go with Ashman as I owe him for the money I won on him for finishing top 3 in Brownlow in 1981.

Love the VIC park story👍

Ashman

Have an 81 signed footy upstairs in the "pool room" and probably the reason I am a Blues fan 39 years later. Thanks Bomber Sheldon. Probably also the reason a few of the mosquitoes fleet will get votes from me. Don't remember many of the games from back then, but I do remember the beard playing well in a quality team and the highlights of Ashman are quality
Strait to the pool room ‘what’s he asking for it’ Tell him he’s dreaming 😆👍

Both were cracking players in their own right, Ashman is the best pure rover that I’ve seen in my time for Carlton, he could do it all... Absolutely love Macca hard as nails top class half back of the highest level, super player loved his career which i seen it all... Ashy for me had him in my top 16 rated Macca in the early 20’s ...

Back